Body ballast?

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been upgrading a super-cheap LP kit I put together a while ago. Nothing special, just halfway decent midrange tuners, pups, pots, hardware etc. Tonally it's night and day better, but the tuners have created a bit of unwanted neck dive. The obvious answer is lighter tuners, but I like the ones I put on, and I'm not keen on spending more on it.

The guitar is really light (6.25lb) so I was thinking about weight on the body to balance it up. Anyone got any suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Fishing weights in the control cavity in a plastic bag, but make sure they are secured well to the cover or they could cause damage to the wiring.

If you are not adverse to it a Bigsby would definitely solve it.

If you are using Grovers, they are heavy! Usually a bad idea on an SG and your guitar is in SG weight range.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Roxy. Not Grovers but all metal tulips so in the same weight range. Any suggestions on how to attach the weights to the control cavity wall? Staples? The body is made from basswood masquerading as soft putty. It's worthless so I don't mind removing material from the cavity if necessary (it's pretty tight in there).

Roxy13

Reaction score
I used some super strong duct tape! Naptha took off all the adhesive off the inside of the cover later after I changed my G Force to lightweight Kluson Revolutions. The G Force is actually a few grams lighter than Grovers are. People complain about how heavy the G Force is but so are Grovers.

The Gotoh tuners that are similar to Grovers do weigh less. I looked at all these weights before I decided what to do with that particular SG. I have and have had a lot of SGs and only the one with the G Force did the nose dive. So it's definitely not true that all SGs do it.

You can also consider a heavier tailpiece. The tailpiece does affect the sound, but sometimes a heavier one actually sounds better on a particular guitar. If you have aluminum on there you might try just the cheap zinc one, or a steel or brass one.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The other tuners that are really lightweight are Sperzals! They are a billet aluminum. I have a little jig that makes them easy to install as it puts the hole for that little peg that sticks up in the right place. I think I got that on ebay for like $15. I highly recommend getting that jig if you decide on the Sperzals.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Roxy. Super helpful. Think I'll try the weights first. The LP shape doesn't really suit being so lightweight to my mind.

I've never tried a brass TP. Hmmm...

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check it out. I get stuff from Thomman pretty regularly.

Tubejockey

Reaction score
Why not just get a strap with a slightly rough or grippy back and enjoy your LP as is..... and not have a spinal stenosis in your future.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
If Schaller tuner buttons will fit on the shafts, then you can buy lightweight plastic or ebony buttons from Stewart-MacDonald, and they save a LOT of headstock weight.

geddy

Reaction score
I frequently use car balance wheel weights....they're self adhesive, flexible and a box is cheap. I've also bought some lead to shape some specific weights but not used that yet.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Some great ideas here. The guitar is already on a 3" wide Gibson leather strap with the roughened back. I'll swap out the tuners if I have to, but want to try keeping them for now. I'll never tale it into LPC weight territory, but 7 - 7.5lb would be fine if it solves the issue. Time for some research I think.

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
A strap with good padding of the right density, and velvet backing would help It sit in place

diavolo

Reaction score
wheel weights for balancing tires on your car work good.
yeah those things on the inside of your car's wheel.
plus theyre already adhesive and cheap.
tada!

Cristallo

Reaction score
If you have the possibility, you could have the cap that closes the control cavity built in brass. Weight and no additional parts.

Bye

mdittman

Reaction score
I've seen control cavity covers made of varying thicknesses of metal for just that reason. You can buy them pre-made for a Les Paul. Just Google them and I'm sure you'll find them or alternatively you could cut ( or have cut) a piece of metal ( steel, aluminum, ect. depending on weight desired) to the shape of your cavity cover minus the attachment overhang and secure it with a couple of bolts.

bjorn218

Reaction score
I've been upgrading a super-cheap LP kit I put together a while ago. Nothing special, just halfway decent midrange tuners, pups, pots, hardware etc. Tonally it's night and day better, but the tuners have created a bit of unwanted neck dive. The obvious answer is lighter tuners, but I like the ones I put on, and I'm not keen on spending more on it.

The guitar is really light (6.25lb) so I was thinking about weight on the body to balance it up. Anyone got any suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance.
Why not use a forstner bit on an extension through the jack hole to drill a cavity somewhere between the tail piece and rear strap pin screw then fill it with melted lead(fishing sinkers) once you find the amount needed to balance the guitar, fill any remaining hole with some epoxy and paint over it with shielding paint to mask it into the rest of the cavity?

Latest Threads