BM vs OCD

Blues Jam

Reaction score
I am currently using a Bad Monkey as a tube screamer to drive my Blues Jr harder. Anyone else using one? I think it sounds good, smooth. I see a lot of positive comments about Fulltone's OCD - would it be that much better for the extra $100 or so?

AngryHatter

Reaction score
I sold mine.
I like Marshall ODs much better.
Bluesbreaker or Guv'nor.

For a Boss pedal the BD is very good, too, although it is more expensive than the Marshall stuff.

kungpow!

Reaction score
Never played a BM, but I understand its a Tubescreamer clone.

So, its much different that an OCD. OCD is heavier, more mid scooped. Think Marshall cranked up. I love em.

That said, I havn't played my Blues Jr in a while. I find the highs obtrusive.

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My buddy got in a used OCD at his store, I didn't like it very much. It was pretty gnarly sounding not in a good way, but then again there has been a few different versions and I don't remember which one this was. If I want that type of sound, I use my MI Crunch Box or an original Guv'nor (not the RI).

The Bad Monkey is not a bad pedal at all, if you like it no need to switch. I have one, and a Mystic Blues as well.

2009LPGT

Reaction score
The OCD is a great pedal but it is the pickyest pedal in terms of what amp is used that I have come across. When it is mated with the right rig, it is heavenly what that little box does! If not... well...it sounds like doo. Not a lot of in between.

My experience with it anyway. I have purchased 3 of these over time and played them through probably 6 different rigs. The best? Oddly enough the most amazing result was through an early 70's 100 Watt Kustom SS head, a 1X12 cabinet and a PRS Custom 24 plugged in. Simply glorious sounds until the old SS head crapped out! :)

I could never get this to sound right through blackfaced Fenderish amps. The BJ however, is an EL84 amp and I believe many have good results with the BJ/OCD hookup.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
MI Blue Boy Deluxe. Hyper-adjustable member of the Tubescreamer family. Can emulate most of the others with tweaking. Downside, it does not excel at my favorite, the TS808, and the swarm of knobs means lots of potential bad settings, so it might take a while to recognize the value.

Catalinbread Dirt Little Secret: not a true TS clone, but a mid-boosted OD pedal for sure. Can get very gainy switched to Rawk, or pretty transparent on Rock with judicious setttings. Nifty pedal.

TS808 or the Maxon equivalent, the OD808: the very best, IMO, in doing the Tubescreamer thing. I have a Keeleyed TS808, it'll be one of the last things I let go of. Seems to play a harmony along with you, accentuates the hint of harmonic that comes from digging in or putting a bit of thumb along with the pick, just makes a good amp better. Absolutely middy, not for the transparent gain or scooped metal rhytm crowd.

Visual Sound? I have the Jekyll and Hyde, neither side does much for me, and I believe Jekyll is the RT 66. Don't much care for it, sort of stiff, boxy.

IMOYMMV.

Blues Jam

Reaction score
My buddy got in a used OCD at his store, I didn't like it very much. It was pretty gnarly sounding not in a good way, but then again there has been a few different versions and I don't remember which one this was. If I want that type of sound, I use my MI Crunch Box or an original Guv'nor (not the RI).

The Bad Monkey is not a bad pedal at all, if you like it no need to switch. I have one, and a Mystic Blues as well.

How do you like your MI Crunch Box? I like very much what I heard on the ProGuitarShop.com demo.

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
How do you like your MI Crunch Box? I like very much what I heard on the ProGuitarShop.com demo.
One of the very best pedals out there, when it comes to overdriven / distorted Marshally sounds. Not close to JTM45, think more of JCM800. For classic / hard rock. '80's hair metal and classic metal, this THE pedal. Use the ''search'' function and you will find me (and others...) ''advertising'' it all over the place...:D

epilespaul2000

Reaction score
The OCD is more it's own kind of unique overdrive. It doesn't really try to emulate a specific amp, but really just the general British tone. There's a lot of mixed feelings about it, but I think, as 2009LPGT said, it's because the pedal really reacts very differently to different amps.
The OCD is a great pedal but it is the pickyest pedal in terms of what amp is used...
I think it's a brilliant pedal though. I'm running it into a Ampeg jt-12 guitar amp. It can deliver a big sounding bass while retaining the sweet, glistening highs and harmonic overtones. My favorite thing about it is that it responds so well to your volume controls and your picking dynamics. I can be all the way up on my guitar's volume knob, and still get an almost clean sound by picking very gently. This is great when you're trying to build up to hit an intense part of a song.

The OCD is the only pedal of the ones mention that I own, but I'll still give you my impression of other pedals. If I'm wrong about something, someone please correct me.

The Crunchbox sounds like it has more gain than both the OCD and the Tubescreamer, and, as Hector said, is JCM800 flavored. Not sure how well it cleans up and how it responds to your picking. It sounds like it would be ideal for higher gain situations. Great box right there for not a lot of cha-ching.

Everyone knows the Tubescreamer. You get your classic mid-hump and lose some bass. It doesn't have as much gain as the other two. Good for blues and classic rock or as a booster.

Guitar Freak

Reaction score
One of the very best pedals out there, when it comes to overdriven / distorted Marshally sounds. Not close to JTM45, think more of JCM800. For classic / hard rock. '80's hair metal and classic metal, this THE pedal. Use the ''search'' function and you will find me (and others...) ''advertising'' it all over the place...:D
Same with me and the MXR DIII. "Has tubey gain that has heavy doses of harmonics and dynamics"

But no, it really is a great pedal that responds very well to your picking style.

as for the MI Audio..... I want. Very. Very. Badly :)

sidepartings26

Reaction score
I got sucked into the whole OCD thing and then the version thing. Got my V3 for a good price. I don't like it on my twin reverb or my 1987X. It has a sort of brittle undefinable high end thing going on and it also creates a tiny bit of what can only be described as the shortest of reverbs. My studio is properly acoustically treated and when I say 'studio' I don't mean bedroom with PC and speakers in. The room is almost 'dead' for mixing and there is no reverb unless simulated hence me noticing this. Even when using bassy settings there seems to be a high-end 'hollowness'. I don't know, I think it is too much for the already snappy 1987x, and doesn't suit the twin reverb because it's so crystal clear and unbreakable. Then again, I have spent 30 mins max actually trying different settings (i like it so much better with it off :0). Most of that time was trying to get it so there was no difference between the OCD on and off in terms of volume and tone just to check for colouration and yeh, it colours the sound in the way I described IMO. PS I think it pushes the term 'overdrive' to the limits, it has a HUGE amount of gain available especially if into an already overdriven Marshall.

Latest Threads