Blushing in Nitro Sanding Sealer - Can I Proceed?

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm spraying a kit for the first time with StewMac Nitro Aerosols. I did 3 coats of Sanding Sealer yesterday. The top and back both look great however I noticed some blushing/cloudiness in a couple spots on the sides. I'm wondering if it's OK to proceed onto my color coats or does the blushing need to be sanded out? (is it possible it will bleed into the subsequent coats?)
It was about 60% humidity yesterday and I believe I was too generous on the 3rd coat. Today is supposed to be 50%.
Thanks a lot

Attachments

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Gotta get it out. Get some real MEK and use your spray rig to mist it onto the guitar in the affected area. Light coat, just enough to barely wet it. Don't even THINK about touching the guitar for a day. This will remove the blush ASSUMING the humidity is fairly low. If there are any leftover blush spots, repeat the treatment.

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
Gotta get it out. Get some real MEK and use your spray rig to mist it onto the guitar in the affected area. Light coat, just enough to barely wet it. Don't even THINK about touching the guitar for a day. This will remove the blush ASSUMING the humidity is fairly low. If there are any leftover blush spots, repeat the treatment.
Thanks a lot. No spray rig here, just using aerosols. Is this something I could lightly wipe on? Just did a search and it looks rare to find MEK in aerosols (I'm in small town Canada also). If anyone is familiar I have access to Rona, Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, several indy Paint Stores.
Thanks again

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is sanding sealer, right?

Try sanding it out with some 320 grit.

Then shoot the area over again, in the driest, warmest part of the day.

Also, you could try a shot of lacquer retarder or "blush remover", but this is best used when the blush is fresh.

What it does is slow down the hardening process (hence the name "retarder") allowing moisture to escape before the lacquer skins over hard.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Acetone instead of MEK should work. Or lacquer thinner. Just use a Preval sprayer, available at your local hardware or crafts store.

You SHOULD make the modest investment required to get a spray rig. I find rattle cans to be completely inadequate, 100 percent of the time. Those are for painting your mailbox.

the great waldo

Reaction score
That'll rub out with some fine sandpaper, no problem. Warm the guitar up a bit before you spray it and when using aerosol cans to spray keep a pot of hot water nearby to warm the spray can up. That will help keep the pressure up in the can and it also thins the laquer which makes it easier to spray and helps the laquer flow out. Don't try and warm the guitar after you've sprayed it as than can lead to bubbles in the finish. The advice to get a proper spray rig is good if you intend to do a lot of spraying. HVLP systems work well, i've had an apollo system over 30 years and it's worked fine. Good luck and stay safe. Covid masks are useful around the workshop too.
Cheers
Andrew

Latest Threads