Blimey! Aint life weird?

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I was just going out of the door taking one of my dogs out for a walk this afternoon when the phone rang . I took him off the lead and answered the phone.
" Hello is that Philip? " said an extremely well spoken elderly lady. " I believe we are related"...:shock:

Bloody hell you could have knocked me down with a feather. It turns out that her great great Grandmother Octavia had about five sisters and one of the sisters was the Mother of my great Grandfather.

At first I thought it was a wind up, but she knew so many details it wasn't true..
She even described a painting that my Grandmothers art teacher had painted in the 1800's which my Great Grandfather had bought for her and which she had admired visiting my Grandmother in the 60's.

I'm sitting looking at it now...:shock:

Well well..Life is weird isn't it. Now I have another whole load of family tree to work on.

I heard many years ago that somehwere along the line someone in the family sold the rights to milk chocolate in Switzerland to Peter Cailler around 1898 in Moudon Switzerland.
And blowed if she didn't mention it and even his name..
Evidently he was a patissier and stumbled onto mixing cream with chocolate, as before that all chocolate was plain.

So next time you buggers eat a bar of milk chocolate you can thank some distant Uncle of mine.:laugh2:

We have swapped e-mails and she is sending me more details and I'll get onto the Swiss side of the family and get them on it too.

Bloody weird day....:hmm:

mdubya

Reaction score
Are you related to this guy?

adamm_Milky%20Bar%20Kid.jpg

:D

mtgguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another unexpected turn on Hershey Highway.

Reactions: Dan

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Oh and send me a double portion... Erin would want some for sure. :D

stinkfoot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I heard many years ago that somehwere along the line someone in the family sold the rights to milk chocolate in Switzerland to Peter Cailler around 1898 in Moudon Switzerland.
And blowed if she didn't mention it and even his name..
Evidently he was a patissier and stumbled onto mixing cream with chocolate, as before that all chocolate was plain.

so.. you're related to this guy then? Daniel Peter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score

Go back (not too) far enough and we are ALL related, my brothers and sisters.....

PSM

Reaction score
Milk chocolate is the best kind of chocolate! :D

guitarbob123

Reaction score
I never knew Vasco was one of the Village People, guess we can see where he got it from eh Phil? :L

Lurko

Reaction score
I had the same experience with some family from Spain who sent me a photo of their great-grandfather sitting beside mine (his brother). We've now met and they gave us a tour of the mill where the brothers worked, etc. It's very cool to have family in another country that you didn't even know about.

Blues4U

Reaction score
Pics or it didn't happen:laugh2:

Cool story Phil--:thumb:

Phil47uk

Reaction score

Yes, now that's an interesting one, as I have researched this.
Evidently Daniel Peter is credited by his ancestors for sharing the idea with Henri Nestle. But so the story goes a relation of mine called Jaques Louie Christian Gonzaz was a patissier from the same village called Moudon in the canton of Vaud as Daniel Peter and it was he who introduced him to the art of mixing chocolate with milk.
Peter obviously got all the credit for it though. :laugh2:

This is something I really must try and look into more, but this is the second time I have heard this story and from two separate sources. Once from my Swiss Grandmother and now some 35 years after she died, from an English lady directly related in the 1800's .
Perhaps I'll never really know, but it's certainly an interesting story and this ancestor was a professional patissier, whereas Daniel Peter was by profession a candle maker.
Not a very big place for two people working on the same idea..:laugh2:

367098_moudon.jpg

Latest Threads