Blasphemy!

kungpow!

Reaction score
I took out the Custombuckers from my '13 R8 STB and replaced them with Burstbuckers. I think the guitar sounds better now. The CBs were too smooth, too tame. BBs seem to have a little grit. Fatter.

Is that okay? Do I need to get my ears checked? Am I still allowed in the Historic sub forum, or am I simply exiled from MLP altogether? :laugh2:

IMG_20150329_223214_1.jpg

mfolet

Reaction score
It all depends on the guitar.Its a matter of matching them properly

deadlyweasel

Reaction score
Your guitar, your ears, put Damn agile humbuckers in there if they sound good to you and the Hell with anyone who tells you what sounds good to you. Just keep top wrapping:naughty:

goldtop0

Reaction score
Nothing is sacred and sacrosanct in this game.......whatever floats your boat is the rule of thumb........
I've got Timbuckers in one of my '13s.......and it sounds better also:naughty:

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Pickups while they do have a part of the overall 'sound', I come from the camp of no matter what pickups are in the guitar you're still gonna sound like yourself for the most part. I don't even bother buying pickups even if I like the sound I hear on the demo videos, because I know there is a high probability that MY guitar won't sound the same. I was blown away with some video of someone with a 13 R9 with a set of OX4's but have I bought them yet.....nope, and probably won't either.....plus I SUCK at soldering so it's a cost after the fact issue for me as well.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solder?

I use a nail gun!

Ka Chunka! :D

kungpow!

Reaction score
Out came the Burstbuckers, and in went some Rewind Medium outputs that I had laying around. Man, these sound good! In fact, I was really getting that SIBLY TSRTS tone. Soul Food helped get nice, trebly bite.

18Pr1YPPTW0adIPUQi3LCq4vaos0-fRR0JisWJ5hfTw=w440-h819-no

It must be the top wrapping :laugh2::laugh2:

winexprt

Reaction score
There is no right or wrong, only what you like.

Nice R8 BTW!

Joshabr1

Reaction score
Are custom buckets potted? I think potting is a huge tone suck. I would take any unpooted set over a potted set. I use ox4 but there are many great winders. I also play a stack plexi so I like a little harmonic feedback. Potted pickups just kill all those cool little harmonic things to me.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes all of the CB's I have been through have been potted....I agree. the potting is overdone on a few.

the Wizz and OX4's are excellent....

I stuck all of my CB's back in for now, I am going to "get used" to them and then switch them back out for the latters and eliminate the "honey moon phase" of a new pickup set.

There was a set of Burst buckers that really nailed it for me though, they were from an 03' R9

My joe bonamassa set went with the HM so I wont hear those for a while....we shall see when they get back....

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
I wound up keeping the BBs in my Historics after putting boutique pups in them

If it works...

While you got it going with the top wrapping, the pick guard on may lead to probation and ultimately expulsion from MLP

Not having speed knobs a minor infraction

Btw, sharp looking guitar :thumb:

jamman

Reaction score
I don't care for CB's,,,, But Blaspheme ???? ,,,Off with your head :wow: .......

Do anything you like ..it's your Guitar and You should be happy about/with it ...No matter what anyone thinks or says :thumb:

Nice guitar ..BTW :applause:

Frogfur

Reaction score
How 'bout one of each..? Split'em down the middle

Latest Threads