Blade Runner 2049

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I haven't seen it yet, so no spoilers from me. But the original is my favorite movie ever. I've been waiting 35 years for the sequel that I prayed would happen eventually. I've spent the last several days geeking out, watching just about everything from my 5-disk Collectors edition, including The "Final" Cut, the Dangerous Days: The making of documentary, all the special features and at least parts of all 5 versions of the film.

I'm going to see the new one tonight (how is it possible that I missed it yesterday, opening day ?). Probably will watch it at least twice this weekend. Man, I'm so pumped for this !

Please let it be good enough to stand with the original ! If it disappoints, I may have to hunt someone down ?

Anyway, I wanted to start this thread for the discussions that are bound to happen. I'll be back after I've gone to see it myself. Thanks !

<I'm as giddy about this as Malikon would be if Ultraman and Godzilla actually showed up at his house ! >

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Does the old one still hold up? Seems that the entire 'information revolution' wasn't covered. The photo scanner machine scene was beyond cool in 1982, but now, they wouldn't have photos in the future, they would take smartphone pics. Aliens didn't hold up, I watched it with my sons and the moment they saw the space crew chain-smoking onboard the spaceship, they called BS. Devastating. :laugh2:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does the old one still hold up? Seems that the entire 'information revolution' wasn't covered. The photo scanner machine scene was beyond cool in 1982, but now, they wouldn't have photos in the future, they would take smartphone pics. Aliens didn't hold up, I watched it with my sons and the moment they saw the space crew chain-smoking onboard the spaceship, they called BS. Devastating. :laugh2:

Does the old.......Aliens.....di.....uh...

10usbk.jpg

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

NGG, I actually do believe that the old one holds up quite well. Yeah, it doesn't address the way the ACTUAL world evolved in the time period. (Dammit, where's my flying car ? !), but as a future-looking movie (regardless of the fact that the original was supposed to be happening NOW !), I think it is still an awesome piece of movie-making, and also dystopian future description / world building.

It is a visual feast. In a time when they couldn't just send it to 20 different CGI Effects houses to get it done. Every detail was on the screen (despite the many well known flubs).

But I'm VERY biased. And I've just spent hours immersed again. So I will have to see how the current generation of movie-making compares.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
but as a future-looking movie (regardless of the fact that the original was supposed to be happening NOW !)

tumblr_nod44uA4Qv1rzggw6o1_1280.gif

Can confirm, just finished my breakfast bowl. :laugh2:

Nothing worse than your children pointing out all the flaws in a movie you consider ‘classic’.

what did they say after you beat them?

Last edited:

algs911

Reaction score
No Spoilers Here!

I'm a huge fan of the original as well. One of the best sci-fi movies ever. We saw the new one last night. It DID NOT disappoint. It was a wonderful follow-up that was very original. The movie was STORY and CHARACTER driven, not a sequence of events that sets up the next action scene. It almost felt like the action scenes were a necessary evil because it stopped exploring the plot and characters, LOL. Very nice change.

I think it's a well done movie. I'm seeing it again tonight.

Al

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
NGG, I actually do believe that the old one holds up quite well. Yeah, it doesn't address the way the ACTUAL world evolved in the time period. (Dammit, where's my flying car ? !), but as a future-looking movie (regardless of the fact that the original was supposed to be happening NOW !), I think it is still an awesome piece of movie-making, and also dystopian future description / world building.

It is a visual feast. In a time when they couldn't just send it to 20 different CGI Effects houses to get it done. Every detail was on the screen (despite the many well known flubs).

But I'm VERY biased. And I've just spent hours immersed again. So I will have to see how the current generation of movie-making compares.

Wow..I just googled "mistakes in the original Bladerunner"

Now I will need to go home and watch it once again..

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Spoilers Here!

We saw the new one last night. It DID NOT disappoint.
I think it's a well done movie. I'm seeing it again tonight.

Al
Al, thanks so much for the No Spoiler review. I've seen other (publicly posted) reviews that have been very similar to your opinion. Calling it 10/10, and a triumph of moviemaking. Just makes me even more excited.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this one, I'm sure it won't be the colossal disappointment Alien Covenant was...

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and I have pretty low expectations for the Avatar sequels too ! But my hopes are up for Blade Runner. Ford wouldn't have even been involved if he didn't believe in the script. I just wished that Ridley had directed it. (He didn't think he could stand the rigors of the process again.)

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Yeah, and I have pretty low expectations for the Avatar sequels too ! But my hopes are up for Blade Runner. Ford wouldn't have even been involved if he didn't believe in the script. I just wished that Ridley had directed it. (He didn't think he could stand the rigors of the process again.)

I"m glad Ridley is not directing/writing he'd fuck it up royally as he's doing with the Alien franchise. I hope that Ford isn't looking for a payout to buy another plane....Ridley....leave Blade Runner alone!!

It still kills me the original was set in 2019.....

Regarding Avatar....you are aware this is what awaits for the sequel(s)

attachment.php

I'm not kidding...

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/27/avatar-2-first-look/

I have zero interest in the Avatar sequel(s) movie was excessively overrated (storywise) VIsually it was great and I laud it, but Cameron really didn't do anything overly original story wise.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I"m glad Ridley is not directing/writing he'd fuck it up royally as he's doing with the Alien franchise. I hope that Ford isn't looking for a payout to buy another plane....Ridley....leave Blade Runner alone!!

It still kills me the original was set in 2019.....

Regarding Avatar....you are aware this is what awaits for the sequel(s)

attachment.php

I'm not kidding...

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/27/avatar-2-first-look/

I have zero interest in the Avatar sequel(s) movie was excessively overrated (storywise) VIsually it was great and I laud it, but Cameron really didn't do anything overly original story wise.
Avatar was Dances With Wolves with aliens and outer space.

Latest Threads