Blackstar HT5 vs HT5R

Cyclave

Reaction score
Howdy, everyone.

I'm getting ready to get a new amp and was wondering if I could get some advice and some questions answered about the differences between the old HT5 and the HT5R since I am unable to test them both myself.

1) The only differences between these is reverb feature and speaker size, right? I heard rumors that actually the older HT5 sounds better than the HT5R because they changed something or other. Any sense in these?

2) How good are these amps for metal? I can get Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Megadeth out of this right? If not just the amp, will a overdrive or metal distortion get it there pretty easily? (Not a necessity, but would be nice to hear how it does.)

3) Are there any cons to these amps? :D

Thank you for reading!

Look forward to my Bugera V5 being transformed from a combo to a head as soon as I get this new amp.

Kalz

Reaction score
1) Original HT5 had the a Celestion 10" speaker with no ISF knob. The HT5C has a 12" blackbird speaker and an ISF knob. The HT5R has a 12" Blackbird speaker, ISF knob and Reverb.

2) These amps are very good for metal. The gain knob has a lot of gain on tap and reaches the metal territory pretty easily.

3) Cons will be for you decide. The only one I had was the clean channel wasn't loud enough when playing with people. At home it was fine but not for jamming. I left it in the OD channel and turned down the vol knob on my guitar.

budd

Reaction score
1) Original HT5 had the a Celestion 10" speaker with no ISF knob. The HT5C has a 12" blackbird speaker and an ISF knob. The HT5R has a 12" Blackbird speaker, ISF knob and Reverb.
The original still had the ISF function. At least mine did and it was purchased 1 month after release locally.

Speaker size and reverb is spot on.

Kalz

Reaction score
The original still had the ISF function. At least mine did and it was purchased 1 month after release locally.

Speaker size and reverb is spot on.
Ah yes, I meant the tone knob for the clean channel was missing, not the ISF.

Thanks for the correction :thumb:

Cyclave

Reaction score
Ah yes, I meant the tone knob for the clean channel was missing, not the ISF.

Thanks for the correction :thumb:
I'm glad he corrected you as well. No ISF would have been a deal breaker.
I'm not really big on the reverb for this amp, so the only difference is the speaker size like I thought, right?

I read a little about the difference between a 10" and 12" and people say the 12 has deeper bass response but not as 'quick'. I think I'll go with the HT5 since I haven't had any problems with a 8" in my Bugera, and I'll get a bigger cab one day or another if need be. And I tend to like amps with Celestions so I guess I just made up my mind.

I'm really looking foward to this amp. My modded Bugera is amazing for my Strat, but kinda sucks with humbuckers.

The only question left is... Should I spend extra money for the head + cab? I don't like the idea of the knobs in the top back of the amp; I guess that's really the only con I can think of. Hmmmm...

bdubbs

Reaction score
I really like the 10" celestion in the combo I have.

ac/dcfan87

Reaction score
IMO 12" speaker always trumps a 10". I think you should reconsider getting the HT5R. 12" speaker had a much fuller sound all around not to mention its usually more efficient, which generally leads to better tone. Plus if you don't like the stock 12" you can always upgrade to a greenback or G12H or V30. 10" sucks balls compared 12". Just my humble opinion. Now if was 2x10 or 4x10 that's another story.

Rhust

Reaction score
Howdy, everyone.

I'm getting ready to get a new amp and was wondering if I could get some advice and some questions answered about the differences between the old HT5 and the HT5R since I am unable to test them both myself.

1) The only differences between these is reverb feature and speaker size, right? I heard rumors that actually the older HT5 sounds better than the HT5R because they changed something or other. Any sense in these?
I have the HT5, no reverb, no tone knob on the clean channel... don't really miss it either, personally.

2) How good are these amps for metal? I can get Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Megadeth out of this right? If not just the amp, will a overdrive or metal distortion get it there pretty easily? (Not a necessity, but would be nice to hear how it does.)
yep, you can get that vintage metal right out of the box, for thicker/sludge, you want to add another layer of OD, but it has no issue with that... I also like hitting mine with a clean boost, but I would not call it needed

3) Are there any cons to these amps? :D

Thank you for reading!

Look forward to my Bugera V5 being transformed from a combo to a head as soon as I get this new amp.

the clean channel is not a vox or fender clean... it's more a 'boutique' clean... it's not bad, it may sound a little sterile to some though... if I'm playing clean I usually am using delay or chorus in subtle amounts... so I actually like that the clean channel doesn't color the sound... the clean channel is also an awesome pedal platform. it can be whatever you want it to be..

if I had to point out a con, besides the fact that the 12BH7 is a weird choice for a power tube(would have loved a EL84 or 6v6 and cathode biasing)... it would be the "lack" of a subtle crunch... when you kick on the OD channel, you have to turn down the guitar volume to get a 'barely over-driven' sound... if you mainly play harder rock and metal tho, you wouldn't care... you can also turn up or boost the clean channel to get that classic crunch...

this amp is kinda like 2 amps in one.. the clean, non-master volume amp that's a great pedal platform and the OD channel with diode clipping based on their GREAT pedals...

oh, and if you are looking at NEW... there is a new METAL version of the amp, which to my ears is thicker and heavier... I've thought about that upgrade myself

I use the head plus a 1x12 cab with a G12T75

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
+1 on all of Rhust's comment!

I have the HT5 and the only I would prefer to have IS the reverb. It would be nice to have it for those steril cleans.. I put a tubescreamer on a fairly low setting on the clean and it does It well. A tubescreamer on the gain takes it to new levels as well..

On a whim, I took my old trusty Metal Zone 2 and put it on the clean channel for a run. HOLY SHIITE! never new that peddle could sound that good!

I think if you tested any of the HT5's out and there was only one to try, you would be sold on it. Having 3 or 4 versions at your testing disposal, you more than likely will only notice mild differences in actual likes OTHER than the cabinet or speaker that you are trying it through.. That said, go get you some!!!

ac/dcfan87

Reaction score
With a preamp tube as a power tube as Rhust said, that's puzzling. For that price there's other better amps out there IMO. But then again I have two Marshall 1w amps that have 12AU7/AT7 in power section so I shouldn't talk. But I'm gonna sell them, at least the JTM1 for sure. A preamp tube just doesn't sound like an EL84/6V6. But in my quest for the cranked sound, I admit I bought into the hype. But I don't regret it I learned from it. I like a good EL84/ 6V6 but that's me.

I agree with Rhust. If you want metal go Celestion G12T75. I personally didn't like the Blackstar when I played it. It sounded too modern and gainy for my tastes. With my laney cub 12 I can get old school metal easily, but it also does classic rock way better than say a blackstar does. Idk if its the diode clipping or not but it sounds too fizzy to me. But I'm sorry if I rained on your parade.

To each his own but yeah I'd go G12T75 and go head and cab like Rhust did. Rhust knows what he talkin about listen to him.

Rhust

Reaction score
With a preamp tube as a power tube as Rhust said, that's puzzling. For that price there's other better amps out there IMO. But then again I have two Marshall 1w amps that have 12AU7/AT7 in power section so I shouldn't talk. But I'm gonna sell them, at least the JTM1 for sure. A preamp tube just doesn't sound like an EL84/6V6. But in my quest for the cranked sound, I admit I bought into the hype. But I don't regret it I learned from it. I like a good EL84/ 6V6 but that's me.

I agree with Rhust. If you want metal go Celestion G12T75. I personally didn't like the Blackstar when I played it. It sounded too modern and gainy for my tastes. With my laney cub 12 I can get old school metal easily, but it also does classic rock way better than say a blackstar does. Idk if its the diode clipping or not but it sounds too fizzy to me. But I'm sorry if I rained on your parade.

To each his own but yeah I'd go G12T75 and go head and cab like Rhust did. Rhust knows what he talkin about listen to him.
a 12BH7 is not even really a guitar tube, it's a stereo HI-Fi tube... and actually, for the price of a HT5, I challenge anyone to find a better, more versatile amp...

2 channels, effects loop, full B/M/T EQ, line level out for direct recording, emulated headphone out for 4x12 or 1x12 (4 x12 emulated sounds amazing) if it sounds too fizzy or too heavy, you can put a 12AU7 in the preamp to cut the gain in half. I also replaced the stock power tube with a NOS delmonico which warmed it up a little, and made the clean channel saturate a little sooner. the 1 W marshalls are double the price of an HT5, and not as versatile... they sound good for what they are, but imo are over priced for anyone except a collector or someone wanting THAT single sound...

the HT5 CAN do classic rock either with a tube change or with just turning the volume down a hair...

why the T75, a person might ask? it's a good, flat EQ'd speaker... no huge mid hump, not too trebly not muddy either.

a final note on diode clipping, it does jumpstart the tube saturation... but it's not a bad thing... the highly regarded silver jubilee used diode clipping too... and remember, the blackstar is made by former marshall engineers. they know what an amp should sound like... and they do it well at a fraction of the cost of a marshall nameplate....

ac/dcfan87

Reaction score
Yes Blackstar is def versatile. Not my cup of tea tone wise but for the beginner- intermediate player seeking tone, versatility, features, and price tag it's there no doubt. The 1w Marshalls are overpriced. And this is coming from a guy with two of em. Once I played my tweed deluxe I heard what real power tube distortion is. You can "simulate" that in a low powered amp like the Marshall 1w or the Greta, but it pales in comparison to a pair of EL84s or 6V6s at full tilt. It's just not the same.

But I'm hi-jacking the thread at this point. For the OP, whatever you do get a 12" speaker.

Cyclave

Reaction score
Thanks a TON guys, especially Rhust. I'm not an amp guy so I had a lot of questions and you guys answered some I didn't even think to ask.

I'm not look for a classic rock or a clean tone because my Bugera and strat is perfect for all that (note: with mods lol), so the HT5 seems perfect for me and my desire to get more gain. I'll most likely be putting my Epiphone G400 with 490r/498t's into it 99% of the time, so does anyone use the same pups with their HT5(R/RH/H)?

I'd get the new Metal version, but they aren't at GuitarCenter. (I have store credit from a return Orange Micro Terror.) Plus I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with my OD to get more gain.

As for the speaker, I think I'll actually go for the HT5 Head mini stack (with 2x10) as I can keep one cabinet at my jam partner's house and keep the other at my apartment for the sake of convience of only having to move the head (whether it be the blackstar or bugera) and the location of the knobs would allow me to stack both my heads on the cab. And I can always replace the 10" speakers with 12" ones with just a little routing or any at all if I really hate them.

Rhust

Reaction score
I think GC online has the metal version, but it's really a more modern tone... and I can get that by stacking a joyo ultimate drive :)

the 2x10 will sound great!

one more thing I forgot the HT5R has... line in... so you can jam with mp3s or what have you.

I wish you luck, man. even if you are an aggie ;)

<- TxTech grad

ac/dcfan87

Reaction score
Good luck man I hope whatever you get works or for you better than the Micro Terror. The one thing I've learned is to take what everyone says with a grain of salt. Even if other people are "correct", doesn't mean it's correct for you. It's taken me 4 years, 5-7amps and 4 guitars and however many pedals to finally realize this. What's right for you is right for you. Use what other people say to "help" narrow choices but after that throw it out the window. That goes for a lot myths out there too. People say you gotta have this or you have to do that. A lot of things ppl told me I accepted as truth, and eventually I realized it was not.

But I do think if you get the Blackstar regular version, I do think you can great metal with an overdrive pedal. Many of the greats used an overdriven tube amp with an overdrive pedal on top to get that searing metal tone and that tight chugga chug stuff. Works for me. And you might find it sounds better that way than getting a metal pedal or getting a metal amp. An amp doing classic rock/classic metal on its own with an od pedal added in can be a nasty sound (in a good way). Just my opinion. Hope you find what you want without too much hassle.

TheZeppelinKid1991

Reaction score
i can definitely vouch for this beast having some excellent gain and tone. i have the ht5r and you don't need to have the gain at max to get some metal out of it. hell you could have it at 12:00 and get some great gain for metal.

Cyclave

Reaction score
I think GC online has the metal version, but it's really a more modern tone... and I can get that by stacking a joyo ultimate drive :)

I wish you luck, man. even if you are an aggie ;)

<- TxTech grad
They do? I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you, even though you're a raider. :thumb:

Cyclave

Reaction score
UPDATE:

It's official! This is coming to me next week!

Am I crazy for being more excited to convert my Bugera V5 into a head than the arrival of my new amp? :naughty:

As a last request, can anyone tell me what I can use for tolex glue instead of ordering the expensive stuff online? Anything at Home Depot or Lowes?