Blackstar HT 20 Studio opinion ?

DrBGood

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a combo tomorrow. Any users here, anything to look for, How about reliability ?

If I like it, it might replace the Traynor YCV20.

I was also looking for an Ignater Tweaker 20W. Should I wait ?

Last edited:

rich85

Reaction score
Lots of users here. Probably the best all round amp on the market. Great cleans. Great overdrive and makes for a great pedal platform.

.......they are great!

I have the original HT20 Studio head and will never sell it. It simply does everything so well.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Thanks.
With the COVID situation, I realized this morning it's not the best move for me. I'll wait for the next train.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Blackstar HT-20 Studio first version.
  • Fantastic for Skrat/Teles
  • Great for Lesters but was a bit dark
  • Great tone stack, ISF is cool
  • Rev is great
The speaker was a Celestion Rocket 50 which was lacking as it is a cheapie... Sooooo....
  • Read everything out there on that amp. Dark was common and attributed to speaker
  • Countless folks replaced the POS Celestion with an Emi Red Coat Private Jack so I did too
  • Put JJs in front end and Groove Tube Gold Series jugs in ass end
Could not be happier with it. Like a totally new amp after speaker and jugs... It was a good amp before, now badass. A session player bud loves borrowing mine on sessions and he had one identical but stock. He says mine blows his away... and he loved his...

They are great amps and killer bang for the buck. I have a bunch of great amps...but I’ll never sell the Blackstar. Great live, great in studio, sexy looking, just the right amount of wattage...

If you do snag one, if it has the Rocket 50, slap a Private Jack in it. I love Emi speakers...

DrBGood

Reaction score
Sometimes you want change for the sake of change without realizing what you're trying to do.

I have that beautiful little Traynor combo that works wonders with an external preamp. Between the Greenback in it, its combination with a 2X10" cab, or the external cab by itself with the amp speaker defeated, I have 3 very different tone palettes right there.

The gain on the amp is a tad somewhat sizzely fuzzy though and that's what had me looking elsewhere. I'd like to be able to like it without the Joyo American Amp in front of it. It was suggested to me that I play with different preamp tubes. I'll try that and cut the amp gas. I got all I need/want right here, just needs tweakin'.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
We sold Traynors in my bro’s shop early 70s. Badass amps... Their nuclear twin out Fender’d Fender... Louder’n two hells too.

Tweaker

Reaction score
I have an Egnater Tweaker 15, I love it. Last amp I ever need. (Even though at some point I want to build a 0.1w amp to crank).

The cleans are where the Tweaker shines, in my opinion. The gain is good, not a high gain amp though. It'll do some chugging but it isn't where the amp shines. Bluesy/classic rock type gain is readily available and sounds really really good at higher volume. It'll do bedroom volume well, but it really comes to life at higher levels.

Takes pedals exceptionally well, which can improve the bedroom playing experience.

Sorry I don't have any input on the Blackstar...all I know is I like Blackstar amps a lot, and I'm very happy with my Egnater. I've had it for nearly 10 years and haven't had problems.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I have an Egnater Tweaker 15, I love it. Last amp I ever need. (Even though at some point I want to build a 0.1w amp to crank).

The cleans are where the Tweaker shines, in my opinion. The gain is good, not a high gain amp though. It'll do some chugging but it isn't where the amp shines. Bluesy/classic rock type gain is readily available and sounds really really good at higher volume. It'll do bedroom volume well, but it really comes to life at higher levels.

Takes pedals exceptionally well, which can improve the bedroom playing experience.

Sorry I don't have any input on the Blackstar...all I know is I like Blackstar amps a lot, and I'm very happy with my Egnater. I've had it for nearly 10 years and haven't had problems.
I've been on the lookout for a good deal for a Tweaker and that HT20 Studio came about. Got tempted ... it'll pass.

The flesh is willing, but the spirit is weak. DrBGood 12:21

Latest Threads