Blackstar HT-1 Makeover

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
Out of the box my HT-1 has always sounded great. It loves nice OD pedals as well. I've had it over two years now so I finally decided to change speaker and tubes in it. I put a Mullard 12AX7 in the preamp spot, replacing the Sovtek which was in there. For the power tube I put a NOS GE 12AU7/ECC82, replacing the OEM TAD. When I saw the OEM Blackbird 8 ohm speaker, I decided to change it out to a Jensen P8R 4 ohm ALNICO magnet speaker. The bummer is that it did not fit. The horseshoe ALNICO magnet stuck out too far. I wound up putting another Jensen in it. I put a C8R 8 ohm Jensen which sounds really nice for a ceramic magnet speaker. Next time I open it up to try other ECC82 tubes, I'll take some photos of the little chasis with components. I can now get crunch even in the clean mode when I bring up the gain. I like those Mullard preamp tubes. They are current production. I got them a few years ago new. I want to try a Tung-Sol 12AU7W as well. I also have JJ and an EH I can put in there.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
My HT1R combo is now over 2 1/2 years old and I recently swapped out the Blackbird speaker for a Celestion Eight Fifteen speaker. It is much smoother sounding and no spikey highs in either amp channel. The tubes are both Tung-Sol ECC82 and ECC83. Others have tried this same setup over on the Blackstar forum with, what they describe, good results. None of thes mods required altering the amp itself.

Classicplayer

The Peacemaker

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. I just bought a HT1 and glad to see it takes upgrades well. Please post the pics. TY

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. I just bought a HT1 and glad to see it takes upgrades well. Please post the pics. TY
I think you will like your new HT1. The best endorsement that I've seen on the speaker upgrade is on YouTube. Search there for Celestion Eight Fifteen and view Bartek Beben demonstrating the stock Blackbird vs. the Celestion. I decided to give that Celestion 8" speaker a fair try. It turned out that the Celestion fits with no mods necessary.

Over on the Blackstar forum are numerous threads about tube swaps, although the stock tubes serve quite well. I just put in Tung-Sols that I got from the Tube Store. They sell sets specifically for various amp types including the HT line. Check them out.

Classicplayer

The Peacemaker

Reaction score
Really looking forward to trying this little bugger out. Thanks for the very insightful post on your findings.

Thanks to this post I found the Blackstar forum. Great info there. Thank you.

Until lately I hadn't really given Blackstar a fair shake. Due to all the reading I have been doing I am really looking forward to a good alternative to the other major brands. Sometimes you find a great little hidden treasure.