Blackstar Fly 3 anyone?

Roxy13

Reaction score
So I needed a new tiny amp for my workbench. I had a Fender 57 Mini Twin and stupidly bought it an AC adapter from Amazon. Plugged it in and it blew up my amp :(

I liked the tiny size of the Fender as it is so small people don't even notice it's there. And I like to meet guitar buyers in public and a little battery powered amp means I can take it with me for buyers who are worried about scratchy pots. As an aside it's kind of funny to me that I've refretted a guitar, replaced the nut and did all this other work on it and people worry I ignored dirty pots, but whatever :)

So my search began for a new small amp and I think I've decided on the Fly 3. Just wondering if anyone here has one and what you think of it?

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
I discovered the Blackstar Fly 3 when I sold a guitar in public. The buyer brought one to the site and after hearing it I went and purchased one for myself.

tzd

Reaction score
So I needed a new tiny amp for my workbench. I had a Fender 57 Mini Twin...
I bought the Mini Twin once to give my little nephew together with a Squier mini. It makes a noise, that's all.

The Fly 3 which I personally own is worlds better! It even reacts to guitar volume roll-off.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Spark Amp?

Roxy13

Reaction score
I bought the Mini Twin once to give my little nephew together with a Squier mini. It makes a noise, that's all.

The Fly 3 which I personally own is worlds better! It even reacts to guitar volume roll-off.
I have to say, I don't know why the reviews of the Fender are so great everywhere. It reacted somewhat to volume roll off, but not as much as I would have liked. I did get for free basically with MF points.

Sweetwater has the black Fly 3 on sale right now for $65. And Guitar Center has a white one with Union Jack flag for grill cloth for $60 so pretty cheap.

mdubya

Reaction score
I have to say, I don't know why the reviews of the Fender are so great everywhere. It reacted somewhat to volume roll off, but not as much as I would have liked. I did get for free basically with MF points.

Sweetwater has the black Fly 3 on sale right now for $65. And Guitar Center has a white one with Union Jack flag for grill cloth for $60 so pretty cheap.
Sounds like a no-brainer. I had to tackle my wallet before $65 could disappear. :shock:

JMP

Reaction score
I have a Fly 3.. it’s a great little amp. It’s a legit little guitar amp that sounds good and the batteries last a long time. It’s a no brainer. Get one.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Fly3 is a great little amp.
It's pretty much all I've used for well over a year.
Plug in the extension speaker and it's 6w.
Takes pedals pretty well... I like to have fun with the Metalzone every now and then.

Rds

Reaction score
I have one it's ok. Got the extension cab too.

I just pulled it out and played it again, it's been awhile. Its not bad. Could use a slight bit more low end but for this type tiny amp it's not bad.

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well, it shipped but by USPS so it may make a few trips around the US before it gets to me based on my other recent experiences with packages coming by USPS the past few months. I'm going to hold out hope though that I could see it this week since Sweetwater is 90 miles from me.

But, just for some perspective on that, I'm still waiting on a package from Stew Mac (in Ohio where I live) that was ordered 2.5 weeks ago. It went to Texas last week, and finally tonight has reappeared in Detroit.

mdubya

Reaction score
Should I be feeling kind of stupid right now?

I think you will be fine. Phil X used to post takes with his Fly 3 all the time, and raved about how cool it was, too. The 3 was his practice/hotel room rig of choice with Bon Jovi.

On the other side, Jared James Nichols used to post to Instagram almost every day using his Blackstar ID Core 20 and it sounded ridiculously good. I don't think it was the amp, though.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The Super Fly gave me the impression it's an acoustic amp but I don't see anything saying that?

tzd

Reaction score
The Super Fly gave me the impression it's an acoustic amp but I don't see anything saying that?
It has an Acoustic channel. It's designed for street baskers and 1-man performance.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya... Nice that it has true 2-band EQ (my only complaint about Blackstar is their ISF tone control), but this only has reverb. The Fly-3 has a true delay that can be dialed in for anything from reverb to actual echo.

The General

Reaction score
I have one and it's great!! It isn't a replacement for a full tube amp, but I use mine whenever I buy a used guitar to make sure it works, and I take it camping with me so I can play in the morning when the wife is sleeping. I just use the batteries, don't have the adapter. Batteries have lasted me years. Sounds good on it's own and sounds good when using headphones.

it's very handy to have and not expensive.

Latest Threads