Blackheart Little Giant?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new amp and I have been checking out the Blackheart little Giant. It seems perfect for me at the moment but i just wanted to know some opinions about it so post some comments. I have a Trans Blue Epiphone Lp. I'm into rock stuff like Buckethead, Guns and Roses and all the great guitarist!:slash:

ExpatBrit

Reaction score
It is a great little amp for what it does well. With good valves (tubes), the volume cranked up to about 3 o'clock and a pedal pushing the front end just a little (I use an OCD) it has a wonderful singing crunch tone that is perfect for classic rock.
However, I find if you want clean it is lacking in sparkle and headroom, and if you really push the volume it can get a little flabby.
I use a Peavey Classic 30 for these other tones, but nothing beats the Little Giant at the price point for AC/DC, Free, Thin Lizzy etc. crunch at manageable volume levels.

GoofyDawg

Reaction score
I wrote a review about the BH5-112 combo awhile back that you might find useful. Gear Review: Blackheart Engineering BH5-112 “Little Giant” 5 Watt Combo Guitar Gear

To add to the previous comment about the cleans, there's an easy way to fix it, and that's to get a different preamp tube. I'd probably go with a JJ 12AX7 because they tend to have a bit more clean headroom, with a nice, clean sparkle. Also, running an optical compressor (in a low compression mode) in front of this amp would add some shimmer that the amp lacks out of the box.

In any case, I really dig this amp. It's a great practice amp - especially for the price. I'm actually thinking about getting just the head, since I have a couple of cabinets to run this amp through.

knievel

Reaction score
I have one and love it for the sound, but I'm thinking of letting it go because I don't ever get to play it. (no headphone jack) Its been turned on only a couple times since I got the G-Dec. PM me if you want to line something up.

Expat Brit is right, pinned to the wall it is completely AC/DC. :dude:

It sounds really sweet clean, but it only does clean at lower volumes and dirty at high volume. It's a practice amp, what're you going to do? It's not made for gigging clubs. (now if you were mic'd into the PA that would be different) I upgraded to JJ tubes which really livened up the tone.

clane04

Reaction score
I love my Little Giant. I think the EQ is quite useless, but the amp itself sounds great and for the price it can't be beat.

classic

Reaction score
I find if you want clean it is lacking in sparkle and headroom, and if you really push the volume it can get a little flabby
Tinkering with tubes could change it to the better ... 5751 in the preamp section did it for me ...

Grand Pappy

Reaction score
I got an Epi Valve JR 1X12" cab for my BH5H. Great for blues and classic rock.
More American sounding than Brit. Semi-open back cab w/ an Lady Luck Eminence speaker
I retubed (a must!) w/ JJ 's and got a Bitmo 10-uator kit.
The 10-uator works as advertised. I can crank the amp to 10 and turn the 10-uator down to 3 and get a great tube OD groove at bedroom levels with out sucking too much tone. For the $$$ the BH5H is a great deal, but you must retube w/ some decent tubes!

Raku10

Reaction score
You should check out the Blackstar HT5, I had the little giant, but I sold it for the Blackstar. The Blackstar is more versatile, 2 channels, effect loop, American/British tone option, and the EQ does work. And the Distortion channel is killer, you can get classic AC/DC crunch by plugging your guitar straight in. And you can push it to Metal with a DS pedal in front.

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaSquash

Reaction score
I have one and love it for the sound, but I'm thinking of letting it go because I don't ever get to play it. (no headphone jack) Its been turned on only a couple times since I got the G-Dec. PM me if you want to line something up.

Expat Brit is right, pinned to the wall it is completely AC/DC. :dude:

It sounds really sweet clean, but it only does clean at lower volumes and dirty at high volume. It's a practice amp, what're you going to do? It's not made for gigging clubs. (now if you were mic'd into the PA that would be different) I upgraded to JJ tubes which really livened up the tone.
Did I just see that on Craigslist? I might be interested.

damion

Reaction score
Just got one of these today, cant wait to get home and see what its like. Ill be sure to report back.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i got a blackheart 5 watt combo last weekend used for $150.loud for 5 watts,innit???

EtriX

Reaction score
I was thinking about the little giant, but now I'm thinking about the handsome devil instead since it has a separate drive control, I live in a apartment so I don't want to have to crank it to get good distortion. If only the little giant had a channel and a master volume or a drive control.

PMcG No.6

Reaction score
I am currently anticipating the arrival of my new Handsome Devil right now. :Ohno: Can't wait to test it out.