Blackheart Handsome Devil Finally Modded Like A Marshall

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I finally got my Blackheart Handsome Devil modded, to get rid of the flubby/farty gain when you start to turn it up. The speaker swap I did years ago helped, but it was still not the gain you really desire. The clean on the amp is spectacular, very warm creamy smooth boutique tone, but the gain was not very good as the volume went up. You could put a pedal in front while it was clean and get a great gain/tone, but I wanted this amp closer to my SL5 for the gain tone.

So... I changed the following with an amp tech over in Muskegon, MI.
R8 - from 100k to 33k ( More Marshally )
R9 - from 1m to 470k ( More Gain )
C4 - from 22uf to 4.7uf ( Less Bass, since this amp is loaded with bass )

There were a couple of other things we were thinking about, but I did not want to interfere with the headroom, so we left it be with just these 3 changes. I don't know why I waited so long. WOW, what a difference for a now totally awesome amp.

lppeace_rig.jpg

QuicksilverSS

Reaction score
I have a Lil Giant. Thinking of picking up a Handsome Devil with a tube upgrade I found online. Great amps!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ok, I spent part of the morning yesterday and today with the Handsome Devil, and all I have to say again is WOW! :thumb::dude: Adding more gain to the amp with the change to R9 effected the tone stack a bit, as you increase the gain, but it also gave the amp some more volume for sure. Plus... the louder you turn the amp up with the changes I made, the tighter and better sounding it get's. No more flabby/farty/mushy tone as the volume goes up, it just get's better and better as the volume goes up.

Is this the way a Marshall amp get's, as you turn up the volume. It makes me sound like a better player than I am, since it seems to respond very well to my picking and not get mushy or messy at all. It stays tight and nice, which is kind of hard to explain, since I have not had an amp that has done this for me before. It overall, just sounds that much better which in turn makes me sound better and clean with my picking. It get's some nice feedback that is not over the top at all, even at a lower/or higher volume.

I don't get in the gain territory that a JCM 800 can get to for sure, but with the gain a little above half and the volume just a little above about a quarter, (which is very loud by the way. ) it nails an AC/DC tone for sure.

Latest Threads