Black socks are for old guys?

Reaction score
I went to the liquor store for a pack of ciggs today.
Nice weather , I'm wearing shorts with steel toe boots /black socks .
Standing in line to pay , some skater dudes are yucking it up and I hear "BLACK SOCKS" :laugh2:

During the drive home, I recalled, as a kid, busting on my uncle for wearing black socks with sandals.....and that he was an old dude.

I laughed out loud as I realized that karma got me... 35 years later...sans sandals.

Are black socks for old dudes?

Damn, I forgot to get a lottery ticket......

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Seriously?

All the kids have been wearing black socks for sometime now. They double strap on the back packs, too. My son, a senior in HS, only wears black socks, regardless of the rest of his outfit.

He'd be heading off to school in shorts with half-calf black socks and I'd say "Are you sure?" and he'd say "Don't worry Pops, I go this." He's a 6' Adonis who gets all "As" so who am I to complain? I might want a DNA test, but I am still proud of him...

Frogfur

Reaction score
You must of not been there. White socks are for old guys. Along with Levis, penny loafers, and a white tee shirt..

danohat

Reaction score
I wear black socks exclusively in the winter. Never with shorts. What the hell are you, man?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I wear black socks exclusively in the winter. Never with shorts. What the hell are you, man?

The kids be rockin' the black socks with shorts!!! I know, mind blowing...

Fritz

Reaction score
I wear black socks with shorts in the summertime (or no socks at all as of last year). I thought white socks were out 20 years ago?? And even when anyone does wear socks, they're barely ankle-high, so what does it even matter? But you know what I think looks ridiculous? Men in plaid shorts with bare feet and sandals. I'm sorry, but so-called "men" who wear plaid shorts, bare feet and sandals, and those stupid 3-button short sleeve polo shirts, look as flaming to me as flaming gets. In fact, men who wear sandals at all... it's so 1972... men on the beach with sandals and bikini shorts make Elvis rolls over in his grave. Bahaha!! :D

And don't even get me started on live bands who wear shorts. Sorry, but you's is the furthest thing from Rock N Roll.

Crotch

Cocaine Bear
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were the young dudes wearing skin tight girls jeans? I find that far worse of an offense.

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally rock my motorcycle boot socks with flip-flops in shorts.

ONeal-Black-Blue-Red-2016-Afterburner-MX-Socks-0-cef75-L.jpg

Guitarhack

Reaction score
Black sock are not just for old guys or businessmen.

Given the right combination they are fine. Doesn't hurt to be a millionaire either.

29d048d3682d77d7c9826b6353599150_zpsxdhu1zfb.jpg

Dare I say it was your combination of shorts and steel toes topped off with your black socks that drew the attention of the youngsters.

Fritz

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the answer is a loud and resounding NO.

photo-180609-1245339469.jpg

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I went to the liquor store this evening, I bought a bottle of Jim Beam Black. Nice weather (for a New England winter), I'm wearing a Sig Sauer P229 and no one, absolutely no one makes a comment about my socks...

nauc

Reaction score
you got a problem with black socks...

b!tch

Pro-Bike-Check-Sam-Hill´s-Nukeproof-Mega-27.52-1140x760.jpg

hecube

Reaction score
Barefoot all the time except at work where it's black socks.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I think the punks mentioned in the OP were talking about more than the black socks. Maybe they were talking about the combination of shorts, boots and black socks.

Of course where I live, nobody bothers to care about what you wear, so long as your junk isn't hanging out.

At age 73, I'm probably one of the oldest here. Maybe THE oldest. Personally, I don't wear boots with shorts unless the boots are those ankle high hiking boots. Then I either wear white athletic socks or padded boot socks of any color. But never black dress-type socks with any boots - shorts or not. But neither I nor anybody else around here would ever criticize another for their clothing. My city has been voted the worst-dressed in the US. Something we are proud of!

Dolebludger

Reaction score
No, I see guys of all ages wearing black socks with shorts and hiking boots. Just not black dress socks. Black boot socks (the kind sporting goods stores sell with padded bottoms) are worn around here all the time - by guys 1/4 my age - with shorts and hiking boots. My hiking boots are black and I think the combination looks great. But what do I know.

EDS1275

Banned
Reaction score
having to dress to others expectations is #27 on the why i'm a misanthrope list

wizard1183

Reaction score
Don't pay them any attention. They think work-boots should be pristine, Timberland (which they pronounce incorrectly {Timberlund}) and still retaining the key-chain tag...
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: we cant be too far away from one another. day out da thugs be wearing:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Hell they even go out with those on!

Latest Threads