Black Heart Handsome Devil - 15watts??

rideski

Reaction score
I just bought the 15 watt Blackheart Handsome Devil head yesterday and I A/B'd it against my Blackheart 5 watt head and the 5 watt head is noticeably louder!? Could there be an issue with the 15watt head? It was a floor model.....

I used the same 112cabinet for both heads.

Thoughts?

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Something could be wrong with it, or maybe the master volume knob is down on the Devil?

rideski

Reaction score
I had all the knobs set to 12 o-clock on both heads. Perhaps a tube issue?

It sounds really good but I'm just not getting the power from it that I should.

LPV

Reaction score
I had all the knobs set to 12 o-clock on both heads. Perhaps a tube issue?

It sounds really good but I'm just not getting the power from it that I should.

What about both wide open ? They won't be comparable in a linear fashion like that. It should be about 30-40% louder with the same cab. Remember to double the volume of a 5w amp you need 50w.

rideski

Reaction score
What about both wide open ? They won't be comparable in a linear fashion like that. It should be about 30-40% louder with the same cab. Remember to double the volume of a 5w amp you need 50w.

Both wide open the 5watter is still louder.

LPV

Reaction score
Take it back. There's a problem.

rideski

Reaction score
Went back to the store @ lunchtime and compared it against the BH 15 combo they had and thetwo were the same. Now the clean headroom on the 15watt head is fairly substantial compared to the 5watt head. Perhaps that's the only difference?

I'll try it through a larger cabinet @ rehearsal and see what happens. I have another week or two to return it if need be...

LPV

Reaction score
I know my little giant was a bit ice picky at full, maybe the perceived volume is just louder ? The 15w should have allot more bottom end.

analogsystem

Reaction score
There are a couple things that could be going on......does blackheart use the same transformers in both heads? If that's the case, you are probably going to get similar overall volumes but as you pointed out, the 15 watter has more headroom, and probably more usable volume.

Also you are trying them both through small cabs. The 15 watter is going to be more comfortable on a 2x12 or maybe even a 4x12. If you get a bigger cab with the right (read: efficient) speakers, then you'll get that noticeable volume you are looking for.

LPV did point out though that it takes 50 watts to be 2x as loud.

rideski

Reaction score
Great comments guys. Much appreciated.
I tried this though a Marshall 412 when I bought it and the sound through that cab was really great..and loud. Personnaly I think it kinda sucks through the BH112 cab, but the 5watt head sounds great through the 112. I'm going to pick up a used Marshall 1936 212 cabinet this weekend. Hopefully the 15watt head will sound louder/bigger through that....I think it should.

hipofutura

Reaction score
I would A/B the two amps using the same speakers. A 15W amp is generally not dramatically louder than a 5W. If the 5W has higher sensitivity speakers it could sound as loud as the 15W amps.

rideski

Reaction score
I would A/B the two amps using the same speakers. A 15W amp is generally not dramatically louder than a 5W. If the 5W has higher sensitivity speakers it could sound as loud as the 15W amps.

That is what I did initially. I used the same 112 cabinet and the 5 watt head was louder!?
When I played the 15 watt throughthe 412 (at the store) there was quite a bit more headroom though...and obvioulsy was pushing more air too.

I loved the 412 sound but they are just too big to haul around to gigs... I found a local deal on a used Marshall 212 however.

hipofutura

Reaction score
Rideski, I'd say you've done a proper test. True the bigger amp can better push more speakers, but the 15W should have been noticably louder than the 5W with any of the speakers. Sounds like there's an issue with the 15W amp. As well as having more headroom it should be louder.

LPV

Reaction score
Rideski, if that 1936 has the g12t75's you may want to think twice unless your getting it real cheap. A couple of greenbacks or green berets (never tried those but they are 89$ in canada) would make that blackheart sing. Maybe a custom cab ?

Steamco music is selling these new canadian cabs that are supposed to be price competive to avatar.

rideski

Reaction score
I emailed the dude at Steamco and he sent me some info on their new line...Not too sure about it though. I have been doing some reading on here about the Marshall cab and I may pass on it actually. The guys is asking $400cdn and it's been around...
I'd like to get my hands on an Avatar 212.

hipofutura

Reaction score
Rideski, while the cab design is important, it's the speakers that really determine the tone/voicing. Be sure to research the speakers carefully.

LPV

Reaction score
I emailed the dude at Steamco and he sent me some info on their new line...Not too sure about it though. I have been doing some reading on here about the Marshall cab and I may pass on it actually. The guys is asking $400cdn and it's been around...
I'd like to get my hands on an Avatar 212.

Too much. You can pick up 1960's all day for 500.

Latest Threads