Black fingers after playing my Strat...

5F6-A

Reaction score
I have a very nice 60s Strat style guitar that I love. I use my favourite strings (ie. 10-38 GHS Boomers). No affiliation at all BTW. I have noticed that all of a sudden my fingertips are black after playing this guitar. I have noticed that this has started happening roughly after I starting using GHS Fast Fret. I normally slap some Fast Fret before putting the guitar back on the wall hanger where it lives. Could it be the Fast Fret solution? To be honest, I do not always wipe the excess off....

Anyway, I'll get back to my coffee in my GHS themed mug whilst you guys share. Be well.

ghs 2.PNG

Last edited:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I'm guessing that it's a rosewood fretboard

the mineral oils could be interacting with the dyes

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
started happening roughly after I starting using GHS Fast Fret.
I used that stuff back in the eighties.
Same thing.
Not an issue, just messy.
On a light (strat-style) fretboard it may become a staining issue.
:)

Edit: Stop using Fast-Fret. You'll soon notice it doesn't really do anything. Just feels like it should. ;)

Last edited:

PeteK

Reaction score
I never used Fast Fret. But I do keep an old can of Finger Ease around. It's a pretty good conversation starter with non musician's. :laugh2:

But back when I did actually use the Finger Ease spray on stuff, I would get black fingers from playing. That pretty much stopped when I quit using it. Now if my fingers get black from playing, it's telling me it's time to change strings.

rogue3

Reaction score
stop the fast fret,change strings and play. still happening?

maybe give the finger board a wipe too.

for me,finger tips turning black while playing = oxidation.

what is oxidizing? strings,probably, but who knows? change-up see what happens.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
This is the guitar... the fretboard is not dyed

very nice . I have one just like it __ but I'm repainting it . I think the color is listed as " Olympic White " . but to me it looks like banana pudding yellow . I know it's a classic color , but to each their own

and a lot of the rosewood used on fretboards is dyed , to make it appear darker / to cover up the very distinctive grain . a good number of ebony boards are the same way

cjpeck

Reaction score
This is the guitar... the fretboard is not dyed
You might be surprised. A great many rosewood boards are dyed. Can't say from a pic, but I wouldn't be surprised if that one was.

In any case, if you lay off the oil and change the strings the black fingers will go away.

5F6-A

Reaction score
very nice . I have one just like it __ but I'm repainting it . I think the color is listed as " Olympic White " . but to me it looks like banana pudding yellow . I know it's a classic color , but to each their own

and a lot of the rosewood used on fretboards is dyed , to make it appear darker / to cover up the very distinctive grain . a good number of ebony boards are the same way
Mine is nitro Olympic white but it stopped being white decades ago.

5F6-A

Reaction score
You might be surprised. A great many rosewood boards are dyed. Can't say from a pic, but I wouldn't be surprised if that one was.

In any case, if you lay off the oil and change the strings the black fingers will go away.
This is a pic of my RW fingerboards in the sunlight. Picture taken after my yearly deep clean and slight oiling.

freboard.PNG

mtgguitar

Reaction score
"a review:
" I assume that this piece of crap was made in 2007. I wanted a campfire guitar and my Yamaha was just a bit too expensive to take with me camping. I saw this on Home Shopping and it looked good so I took the plunge. Well what a mistake that was. The guitar arrived and when I opened the box I was overcome by fumes, that to me seemed toxic. I left the guitar out in the garage for a week to see if that smell would go away.

It did a bit but next I was greeted by some black crud coming off on my fingers when I picked it up to first play it. It smelled like a varnish or something. It stunk up my fingers as well.

Anyways I threw it in the car and headed out for the camping spot. After we got the fire started I brought it out and tried to tune it up for a song. As soon as I turned the tuning pegs the bridge lifted right off the ratwood soundboard. Strings went flying and I cursed the maker of this pile of junk.

I smashed it against the picnic table, waking up other campers then threw the remains into the fire. I was glad to see the end of it."

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/esteban-appreciation-thread.79035/

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/the-magic-craftsmanship-of-esteban-guitars.227213/

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/estaban.26239/

5F6-A

Reaction score
"a review:
" I assume that this piece of crap was made in 2007. I wanted a campfire guitar and my Yamaha was just a bit too expensive to take with me camping. I saw this on Home Shopping and it looked good so I took the plunge. Well what a mistake that was. The guitar arrived and when I opened the box I was overcome by fumes, that to me seemed toxic. I left the guitar out in the garage for a week to see if that smell would go away.

It did a bit but next I was greeted by some black crud coming off on my fingers when I picked it up to first play it. It smelled like a varnish or something. It stunk up my fingers as well.

Anyways I threw it in the car and headed out for the camping spot. After we got the fire started I brought it out and tried to tune it up for a song. As soon as I turned the tuning pegs the bridge lifted right off the ratwood soundboard. Strings went flying and I cursed the maker of this pile of junk.

I smashed it against the picnic table, waking up other campers then threw the remains into the fire. I was glad to see the end of it."

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/esteban-appreciation-thread.79035/

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/the-magic-craftsmanship-of-esteban-guitars.227213/

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/estaban.26239/
LOL!!! I could tell what the end of that Esteban guitar was going to be from the start and still, I found the ending weirdly satisfying.

Last edited: