Black Face Vibro Champ wiring question

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Would any one know what the reason would be for the new turret board and the black caps in this '66 BF Vibro Champ?

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You'll also note the Orange Drop cap and several new resistors on the eyelet board.

Most, if not all, of these 50's - 70's amps built with eyelet boards had the boards warp. The material used was not very good. In some cases the warp was severe enough to break solder joints.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer Soul Tramp. The thing is they weren't made with a turret board or black caps there. The seller told me that it's a, "Filter cap mod. It's an improvement to bypass the stock cap can." What ever that means.

Comparison...

OK, I think I get it. It's to replace this? (cap can)?

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I misunderstood you question regarding the turret board, and didn't look closely at the pic. I shouldn't post early in the morning!

The eyelet board does appear to be a factory piece, and doesn't seem to have much warp.

Lyle Caldwell

Reaction score
Yup, and that's a definite improvement.

Those three 25uf cathode bypass caps need to be replaced (unless a previous tech put new caps in the old caps' paper shells).

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those three 25uf cathode bypass caps need to be replaced (unless a previous tech put new caps in the old caps' paper shells).

That's what I would do (re-stuff the old housings). They really add to the vintage look of an old amp like this. As well, I'd replace the OD with an old factory disc cap.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Lyle and Soul Tramp I really appreciate your help.

sonar

Reaction score
I've had 0 problems with the new CE cap cans.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger so now I anxiously wait. :naughty: Thank you again for helping me out on this guys.

randelli

Reaction score
I did the same thing when I re worked my Vibro Champ. It works very well and is so much easier than soldering in a replacement cap can. Also, Lyle mentioned that the cap cans can produce eddy currents that affect the way the amps work. And I saved quite a bit of money too.

Mine is from the 80's so I don't think I devalued the amp in any way.

Latest Threads