Black chrome on a Gary Moore BFG?

Lukejolyon

Reaction score
Just bought my first 'real' LP, after using an Epi LP Standard. It's a Gary Moore BFG, I think different from the Gary Moore 'signature' I have seen elsewhere (?) - this one has an unlaquered top, and a P90/humbucker combination. Great sound and terrific sustain, even using .08 strings. The Epi is also good, but the clarity and tone from the real deal is amazing.

I've seen it on the Gibson website though with black chrome tuners/bridge/tailpiece and wondered if I should switch the chrome it came with...views anyone?

Attachments

• P1060450 small.jpg
    P1060450 small.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 96

Ed B

Reaction score
Just bought my first 'real' LP, after using an Epi LP Standard. It's a Gary Moore BFG, I think different from the Gary Moore 'signature' I have seen elsewhere (?) - this one has an unlaquered top, and a P90/humbucker combination. Great sound and terrific sustain, even using .08 strings. The Epi is also good, but the clarity and tone from the real deal is amazing.

I've seen it on the Gibson website though with black chrome tuners/bridge/tailpiece and wondered if I should switch the chrome it came with...views anyone?

i think it would look great all blacked out. it also looks great just the way it is.

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like it like it is, just throw a ring on the humbucker.

BFG9.jpg

Lukejolyon

Reaction score
Nice work, djwilbanks....I see you've changed some knobs and done a bit of sanding. Is that also black chrome? I can't quite see from your photo....do you have any other shots?

I did wonder about throwing that ring on, but not sure I could bring myself to drill holes in a £1000 piece of wood.....would that not potentially lower the value (not that I will probably ever sell it!)?

Indyclone

Reaction score
the Gibson version doesn't come with a bridge humbucker ring... the bridge pup is mouted straight through the pickup mounting holes into the body behind it... ala Eddie Van Halen.

Supposedly adds to the sustain.

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice work, djwilbanks....I see you've changed some knobs and done a bit of sanding. Is that also black chrome? I can't quite see from your photo....do you have any other shots?

I did wonder about throwing that ring on, but not sure I could bring myself to drill holes in a £1000 piece of wood.....would that not potentially lower the value (not that I will probably ever sell it!)?

It may detract from the value, but who can really tell.

Here's a couple of other shots.

BFG3.jpg

73012444.jpg

BFG8.jpg

BFG5.jpg

I did a lot of sanding, actually.

100_0562.jpg

the Gibson version doesn't come with a bridge humbucker ring... the bridge pup is mouted straight through the pickup mounting holes into the body behind it... ala Eddie Van Halen.

Supposedly adds to the sustain.

Mine is a Gibson, and no, it didn't come with the ring, but I like it better.

z-clay

Reaction score
I like the OP's guitar the way it is. Never been a fan of black hardware.

Lukejolyon

Reaction score
wow...you really went to town with that sanding...I wouldn't dare.

Interesting with black chrome....not sure about it. Now in two minds.

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't with a Gary Moore BFG, they're cool on their own. But I looked in the cap while I was putting on the ring and saw some flame so I thought I'd run with it.

Lukejolyon

Reaction score
You really did some work on that - sprayed it too?

Anyone know how they create the top? Is it handcarved or does the wood come with all the grooves in it already?

Latest Threads