Black Beauty3 pickups

wishbone

Reaction score
Hi just signed up and looking for a bit of advice:
I Recently bought a second hand Black Beauty 3, gorgeous looking guitar although a bit on heavy side.
Looking to swap out the pups, I have a few to hand from previous swaps and one newly bought.
Bare Knuckle Riff Raff bridge 8.2K
Suhr Aldridge bridge 17.5K
Tesla Plasma 2 Neck 16.7K
dragon Mountain set 10.14K Bridge 8.85K Neck
Do I need to follow convention and have highest ouput on Bridge or put best rated pups in highest order from bridge to neck?
Any help appreciated. :)

Anyone used Dragon Mountain pups?
Or should I save and get full set of BK or Suhr?

Smedley Smorganoff

Reaction score
I say try the dragon mountain set, 10.14k in bridge and 8.85k in neck. The high output stuff lacks articulation and clarity in my opinion. Unless you're trying to overdrive a Twin Reverb, the medium/low output pups should suffice.

I had an epi black beauty too. Truthfully, I found the middle pickup useless. I disconnected the middle pup, lowered it flush to the body, and rewired the switch like a 2-pup les paul. I wired the neck and bridge out of phase of each other for the middle position.

I think the middle pup adds a majestic kind of look to the guitar, just not practical.

Diocletian

Reaction score
I did the same as Smedley. I tried putting a Phat Cat in the middle and had plans to wire it something like a Strat, but...seriously, that middle pickup is pointless other than the fact it looks cool.
I also rewired it to take the middle pup out the equation and just lowered it down. It's a Tonerider in there with a JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck.
I don't need a dozen "tonal options". I finally accepted it. I need two! Screaming and creamy.

pentat0nicc

Reaction score
I actually, just finished off a 3 pup black beauty project.
After some reading/research, I found that a middle pickup is best used a complementary PUP to the Neck and/or bridge. So a P90 style, usually a bridge as it is hotter and placed a little lower in the body. I also put coil splits into both humbuckers. the middle pickup is wired so I can blend it into any of the other humbuckers as I like.

Now, probably more tones than i need, but does sound great, Bridge, split, with the p90 up a notch, through a big muff.......sound dirty as ****!

some pics attached, I put some chrome covers on both the HBs, matches up nicely...love this guitar...

Attachments

IRG

Reaction score
How thick/thin is the neck on new BB3? I've heard varying reports. Been thinking about this model if the JB PB model doesn't get here soon.

wishbone

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys,
now thinking of keeping as a 3 pup with 3 vol and push/pull tone to switch middle pup in or out?
Planning on the BK Riff Raff in bridge and Dragons in mid and neck will report back on sounds soon?:)

wishbone

Reaction score
OK tried with 3 pups but didnt like sounds so its now on BK Riff Raff Bridge and Dragon Mountain neck pup, with dragon bridge in middle for show.
It sounds a lot better with more articulation on single notes, I also fitted a TusqXL nut, so it probably helps with overall improvement, got rehearsal Thursday so get a real chance to try it out.

From limited use I am surprised at the Dragon Mountain it sounds no worse than Tonerider/Seymours I have used, The BK gives it a nice growl kinda like Andy powells vee on early records?:fingersx:

Latest Threads