Bit the Mac Air bullet...

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My MB Air is 8 years old and still going strong. My MB Pro is from 2019. I enjoy them, but the further you dive into leverage them in dynamic, enterprise environments M$ definitely comes out on top by a wide (IMHO) margin. I have to Support M$, Mac OS, and Linux of many varieties. I know them pretty damn well.

For a casual (home, student, etc.) user Mac OS is a great platform.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
1626016315514.png

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My MB Air is 8 years old and still going strong. My MB Pro is from 2019. I enjoy them, but the further you dive into leverage them in dynamic, enterprise environments M$ definitely comes out on top by a wide (IMHO) margin. I have to Support M$, Mac OS, and Linux of many varieties. I know them pretty damn well.

M$ was smart with the biz end with M$ server/ Office, etc...

I was kinda disappointed when Apple bailed on Apple Server... I was interested in loading a Mac with OS X Server and playing with it.... I was tickled that they didn't care how many seats you pulled up to the table.... I remember buying seats for an NT server waaaaay back and getting irritated... Just numbers on a paper... Not even a free coffee mug or free stickers... ;)

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So many places locked-in with M$ now... Cloud and high speed interwebz just may change that to some extent down the road.......

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Yep, for sure. Legacy enterprise apps are the bread & butter for Microshit. That's not going away anytime soon.

One trend that I noticed getting significant traction during my last few years in the enterprise was SaaS. Web based apps and thin clients with cloud integration are growing rapidly. Corporations do not want to bleed money for enterprise ownership (and the ass-raping maintenance) costs.

With SaaS, they can choose CAPEX or OPEX models, turn on/off dynamically (controlling costs), and significanty reduce data centers and the cost (people, real estate, HVAC, etc.) associated with them.

We used to do value propositions that showed how by using SaaS, you could eliminate 80% of the FTE's (people) required to support legacy hardware and software models. We used their own data for costs and showed payback in almost every case to be <24 months. And, if they went with an OPEX model, there was no depreciation bullshit.... straight expense deductions, profit right to the bottom line.

In many of the corporations, Mac laptops were spec'd. The employees loved them and total cost of ownership was actually lower than Wintel junk.

As SaaS and Paas and even DataCenters as a service continue to drive cost out the enterprise, I think the worm will turn (eventually) and M1 performance is going be a part of that. Worst case: the competition should lower costs overall for consumers in the enterprise.

I am not predicting the demise of Microshit and Intel, but the monopoly is ending.

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, for sure. Legacy enterprise apps are the bread & butter for Microshit. That's not going away anytime soon.

Nothing legacy about it, the stuff we're doing is leading edge tech. DLP at rest and in motion, and protecting on-prem and online resources in ways that Apple makes nearly impossible.

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are currently migrating all Mac's to JAMF, but damn they make it difficult. This has allowed us to get Forcepoint and Cisco Amp/Umbrella running in a way that we can centrally manage them. I much prefer the core of my technical day, Cisco UCS, Netapp Clustered Data Ontap, and VMWare. Cisco ACI makes multi-datacenter and multi cloud networking more manageable.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nothing legacy about it, the stuff we're doing is leading edge tech. DLP at rest and in motion, and protecting on-prem and online resources in ways that Apple makes nearly impossible.

Cool - yessir! Apple doesn't play everywhere.

My point was more about the boring, enterprise, run-your-business type applications. That's where the real money is. SaaS will overcome on-premise, eventually.

At that point, the browser will be platform agnostic. And, hardware will be (largely) irrelevant.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Had to call up a page explaining Magic Mouse 2.... So I could figure out WTF I did to show the Desktop and Browser thumbnailed at top of screen over background.... During the process, learned the value of keeping the mouse oriented the same... scroll is not necessarily scroll when the mouse is not oriented correctly as the mouse surface is a trackpad... "Just WFT did that page come from?" LOL....

Learning is fun, mang.

That is, if one chooses to learn.... and can laugh at oneself for doing stupid shit...

:cool2:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The more I play with this thing, the more I like it... Battery is mind blowing...

I still haven't charged it yet after the first time i did it. I haven't used it 10 hours a day but I've used it a lot and it still has a lot of charge left. I'm not running very taxing programs though.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
At that point, the browser will be platform agnostic. And, hardware will be (largely) irrelevant.

Yep. Speed from hell, stuff in the cloud, Yep, a guy'd be sitting in front of a flat in Podunkie stroking the cloud, a printer a mouse, flat, and a coffee cup on his desk... Flat might have an M1 or Ryzen or i7/9/etc. variant in the back of it.... Chip card in side for ID and a fingerprint reader bottom front..... Horsepower from hell for local tasks....

M1 battery charge is killer way past Intel boxen...

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Had to call up a page explaining Magic Mouse 2.... So I could figure out WTF I did to show the Desktop and Browser thumbnailed at top of screen over background.... During the process, learned the value of keeping the mouse oriented the same... scroll is not necessarily scroll when the mouse is not oriented correctly as the mouse surface is a trackpad... "Just WFT did that page come from?" LOL....

Learning is fun, mang.

That is, if one chooses to learn.... and can laugh at oneself for doing stupid shit...

:cool2:

Command + Spacebar is a good shortcut for pulling up the search box.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Did the two screen with my iPad Air as the second screen w/ no cable....... Damn cool. Works great..... Not that I need a second screen.... Cool to know how easy it is...

JTM45

Reaction score
Do you think using a DAW will work on it with no performance issues?

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Logic Pro works great - much better performance than my Intel Mac

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
JT, I haven't played with a DAW on it yet so I'll refer to Jon and Kamen's experience on that...

Battery down from 26% last night to 25% this morning.... Intelligent charging is interesting too.... It refuses to charge until it really needs to I guess... Preserves battery cycling capability...

Same amount of time this has been unplugged, my Windows/Intel laptops would be sucked so dry, the neighbors laptops would be dead too...

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
just checked, my M1 has been on for 10 days and the battery level is at 33%

:shock:

that's without using heavy programs like photoshop or something, and the lid is closed when I'm not using it, but still that's hella impressive.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is interesting... Bear in mind, the drive and memory being soldered in with the M1 machines actually prevents issues down the road....
I think folks should have to right to repair themselves if they wish. I fully understand Apple's viewpoint though...
It is what it is...

From the genius behind Apple, The Woz!

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
just checked, my M1 has been on for 10 days and the battery level is at 33%

:shock:

that's without using heavy programs like photoshop or something, and the lid is closed when I'm not using it, but still that's hella impressive.

Damn, you may have to recharge the thing before summer is over.... What's up with that shit... Bwahahahaha!

Latest Threads