Bit the Mac Air bullet...

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
. ATM offered connection oriented service and real QOS, it was a much more elegant and technically superior solution for inelastic services than POS or Ethernet.

I remember… I read up about it then and had one of those ‘homey shit’ moments…

It is indeed strange how things work out….

Several or more years back, just for grins, I pulled out my old USRobotics Dual Standard modem (high dollar in the old days biz class modem) and dialed up a RAS just to see how it would handle web browsing…. I was amazed how well it did work… Not super quick as web pages at that time had gotten pretty cluttered with crap and too big graphics, but it was doable…. I still have the USR Dual Standard and a USRobotics HST (also expensive back then) from the old days… They will do ALL of the modem software switches as will the RAS boxes… Those modems and others in their class are a lot more efficient than the cheap modems folks had at home… USRobotics shot themselves in the ass with that bastardized crippled spiral of death cheap crap USR Sportster modem when they were regarded as one of the top dog modem manus… I never believed dialup was actually topped out… Efficiency of terminal equipment could have advanced much further within the same freq limitations of the metal wire…. Oh well…

None of us thought or would have believed back then that we would see speeds at our house waaaay past T1s…. Folks in my area are paying for 1Gbps at their home…. Jeebus… I ain’t that picky… I’m happy with being able to watch Netflix…

dspelman

Reaction score
I wrote a long post about this very fact. But someone sensitive didn't like it, and it was a bit off topic. So it's gone.

Friend of mine works in that division at Apple, and I hadn't talked to him in a while, so I called. He said there has been some serious embarrassment in the iPad software camp; they've been accused of taking the pandemic off, and that's not far from the truth. The fire has been lit, though, and "goodies are on the way."

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Case came in, hub came in, just waiting on the Fedex truck…. Come on Fedex…

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pretty damn slick.... I am impressed...

Brought it to the shop updating to latest Big Sur build... While updating apps and playing on the Mule.... Snappy....

The Magic Mouse 2 takes a bit of getting used to but it is nice....much nicer than other mece I've used.... The top being like a track pad is killer.... Still have to get to the second nature part but that won't take long...

So far I am greatly impressed with feel and operability... Time will tell... Still have Windows boxen at the house but I think this and my current model iPad Air will be my main machines....

Now looking at diving into the AD/DA Interface rabbit hole for recording stuff at the house...

Me likey.....

edro.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Updated to latest Big Sur build here at the shop... Still used the Mac and was also updating apps.... No apparent lag at all... Oh, downloaded and installed Opera browser too... No lag... Cool beans....

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use Opera because it's synced across all my machines, but i noticed Safari on the new M1 is really fast. Fast enough i noticed it.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use Opera because it's synced across all my machines, but i noticed Safari on the new M1 is really fast. Fast enough i noticed it.

Everything is quick on this machine..... I just like Opera more than Safari.....

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested in hearing more from you guys, as your journey with Big Sur continues.

I installed 11.2 and it was fucking awful. So, awful, in fact, that I spent 6 hours going back to a clean installation of Catalina. Catalina - fuck me. There I will stay until forced otherwise.

So, lemme know how BS goes for you. One thing to look at: Messages. That was ungodly laggy for me, unusable.

Glad you are enjoying them... now wade into the deep end and get an iPhone.

One of us. One of us. One of us..........

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested in hearing more from you guys, as your journey with Big Sur continues.

I installed 11.2 and it was fucking awful. So, awful, in fact, that I spent 6 hours going back to a clean installation of Catalina. Catalina - fuck me. There I will stay until forced otherwise.

So, lemme know how BS goes for you. One thing to look at: Messages. That was ungodly laggy for me, unusable.

Glad you are enjoying them... now wade into the deep end and get an iPhone.

One of us. One of us. One of us..........

Nawt. I like my Samsung Ultra 5G too much....

I am 2/3 there though... Latest iPad Air w/ iPadOS, and now a Macbook Air M1.... Can't say enough about the Macbook keyboard.... Dayum... Love it...

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I installed a radio app which required Rosetta.... Works like a dream....

Chango Malo

where's that confounded bridge?
Reaction score
Chick phones are for chicks

wait
what?

Am I in trouble? I picked up an Iphone 12 today; my old droid max was getting slow and they stopped supporting the software years ago. It couldn't run the apps I want to run for the new gig. Figured I'd get something that I could use for as long as I ran that max.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have you guys tried a DAW yet? I think I mentioned that I use Reaper and it's great. A buddy of mine is a PT bigot and he just scored an M1 MBP. He says it runs almost 2X faster on the M1 than his old MBP. He was quoting 4 minute, 16 track renders in 30 seconds.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hell, you do that when you hear the ice cream truck...

;)

Of course I do... and it works - every time!

images.jpeg

Latest Threads