Bit the Mac Air bullet...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok… here’s a tip: be really careful if you carry it under your arm ( let’s say you’re holding the power cord in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other). I did that and .my screen cracked. Applecare is worth every penny.

I‘m running mine with a Focusrite 18i20 and getting great results with Studio One 5 Pro. Easy to use, quick learning curve and good sound.

The case has raised sections that give it more protection…..

Similar to this…with a KB cover too…. Looks pretty durable with raised channels… Physics and shit… ;)

FF33E08E-6DBB-4A7F-9282-5192A97A0BD8.png

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone recently told me that MacOS is like Unix with a GUI. :laugh2:
That's the perfect analogy, IMO.

I grew up (technically) with with SVR4 and BSD.
Actually, it's not "like" UNIX with a GUI. It *IS* UNIX with a GUI. It's BSD based. At one time it was important to Apple for MacOS X to be POSIX compliant. They've since dropped that idea. I'm a Mac developer and I work at the kernel level mostly. I spend most of my time working with BSD API's and what Apple calls CoreFoundation API's.

MacOS X started as the NeXT OS, which was FreeBSD UNIX with a GUI. When Apple bought NeXT, they just changed the GUI to look like a Mac rather than a NeXT box. A long time ago.

Hope you all are still enjoying the beach!

:cheers2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone recently told me that MacOS is like Unix with a GUI. :laugh2:
That's the perfect analogy, IMO.

I grew up (technically) with with SVR4 and BSD.
OS X was built on netBSD with their “pretty” tossed on top of it… All the BSDs were pretty much the same… BSDI was commercial though…

BSDI Unix was da cheeze back in the 90’s.. Reboot, my ass… Compile while the old version of whatever was running….and just refire the application… No reboot bullshit…. Stroke a huuuuge database, search, snag specific records, format specific fields for whatever Burger King’d output you wanted, and then tell it to ‘gimme back my bullets and do your shit in the background’, and then do other stuff….and the printer would go buck wild almost instantaneously… All without opening the database and all from one command line.

When my co-conspirator would be working in the farm late at night on a project and I was at the house, I’d bounce into the farm from the house and pipe a noisy ass file from hell to the old dot matrix printer we had up on a counter right next to a workstation he liked to use in the tech area… He like working in the peace and quiet… That Oki was loud as as two hells anyway and almost at head level if you were in that chair…especially noisy when it had been quiet in the building for hours…. :cool2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's not "like" UNIX with a GUI. It *IS* UNIX with a GUI. It's BSD based. At one time it was important to Apple for MacOS X to be POSIX compliant. They've since dropped that idea. I'm a Mac developer and I work at the kernel level mostly. I spend most of my time working with BSD API's and what Apple calls CoreFoundation API's.

MacOS X started as the NeXT OS, which was FreeBSD UNIX with a GUI. When Apple bought NeXT, they just changed the GUI to look like a Mac rather than a NeXT box. A long time ago.

Hope you all are still enjoying the beach!

:cheers2:

I remember when NeXt boxen came out… I thought ‘That bastard is gonna do it again…” What I read was very impressive, especially the NeXt OS…. If I remember correctly, the OS was liked more than the boxen were…

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally like the entire M1 concept. Different way of thinking… I don’t hate Intel boxen…Just not mentally nailed down to Intel… (Alphas were way past Intel anyway)

IBM had a badass architecture with the MCA….but got to the point they couldn’t market a claw hammer at a carpenter’s convention…. MCA machines were quick….

Gate count goes down, PDT goes down, execution time goes down, efficiency goes up, less circuitry to potentially puke…

Same stupid marketing shit with OS/2 Warp which was far superior to Windows… Super stable…

I’m so old I know what

CLRA
LDAB xx
ADDA yy
DECB
BNE -zz
WAI

does….

Geeze… Where’s my Geritol latte….

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It came with a reason to buy an iPhone.

Nah… Ain’t going that far… I like Android… I do have a newer iPad Air that I love (with a silver case and built in KB w/ a BT mouse) Like a little laptop in a sense… Newer iPads are fast as hell and with this ‘laptop case’ it really is like a 10.5” laptop… Be cool to run some of my iPadOS apps on the Mac when I get it….

I’m not a feverish fanboi of much of anything….except for southern BBQ, fish frys, Bama, beer & brats, ABB, and of course, the AT&T girl… :)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It was interesting to see the similarities and the differences in the flavors of Unix, when I moved from Sun to sgi. Never did any coding, just basic admin & networking stuff during my early days in the industry.

I think that's why DOS and Windoze never had any allure to me. Unix (and MacOS) seemed so much more.... elegant.

KStopper65

Reaction score
Apple Care+ sounds very* .. well, let us say it doesn't bode well, bad start, et al :)
* can i say very American?
You're not wrong. Nobody in India uses it, we just take it to the guy.

Reactions: ehb

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Base Air M1 at Amazon is $899 w/ 8G, 256G, 13.3” I believe…

M1 versions of Macs are cheaper than the Intel “i” processor versions…..

Mine is 16G, 1TB….
That's a $2K machine here, but buying a drive from a reseller is cheaper than the Mac option (as usual.)

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fuckin funny. :lol:

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when NeXt boxen came out… I thought ‘That bastard is gonna do it again…” What I read was very impressive, especially the NeXt OS…. If I remember correctly, the OS was liked more than the boxen were…

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
to the hater who typed an essay, not sure why you bothered to type all that, the OP already bought one and i am sure he will be perfectly satisfied with it. i have had two macs in last 20 years both i kept for around 7 years before selling on for about 70% of what I paid for them I had zero issues with either of them, for music they are great. best option out there as far as i am concerned.

I have a windows machine right now because apple and nvidia fell out, i need cuda cores for the work i do. i hate windows/microsoft. they stick more shit into their software than enough thats just useless. Windows is now locking its user base out far more than apple ever have.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Well, if performace doesn't matter (?!?!), we can at leat choose the superior operating system.
The user experience on Mac OS is still unmatched.

Best thing about Apple computers is they develop specific OS to run on specific hardware.
Windows will always face the herculean taks of serving endless hardware combinations.
It's never going to be perfect. Yes PCs are cheaper and you can upgrade it to a gazillion cores, but Macs are reliable and last a decade at least. Speaking from own personal experience.

Congrats on the new computer! Logic is an amazing DAW!
M1 is promising enough Apple just might win back the respect from Pro users.
Pro users still respect Apple. Maybe more than ever. They’re the only computer company I know of that builds their flag ship computers in Texas.
Semi-pro still respect Apple too they just can’t afford what they want to buy. But they couldn’t afford an SGI either, so things aren’t so different.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
they stick more shit into their software than enough thats just useless.
Big time…

and logging sucks ass…..

Old days in our BSDI farm, I think it would be in server logs if you just freaking walked by the server…

Unix/Linux Log logic: “At precisely 11:43hrs, Steve sat his Coke on my CD tray again. I strongly suggest we suicide his ass.”

Windows log logic: “Something happened because something or somebody did something that resulted in something happening that we’re not sure as to what was actually happening or even what was intially done or even who did it. For further worthless farking information, click on this link which will take you to Mickey$oft where you will be presented with a wealth of information that does not even remotely apply to the situation at hand. ”

rabidhamster

Reaction score
After countless youtubes, mondo coffee, reading all kinds of stuff, mega mondo coffee, I ordered a new Macbook Air M1 , 16G, 1TB, Apple Care+ and the Apple BT mouse... Then ordered a snap on hard plastic cover with keyboard cover just in case of stupid humern tricks in my future....and a dock/hub.....

After much pondering, I came away from it with the realization that with Apple's M1 technology instead of Intel, Apple can compete in the same arena with Windows/Intel and beat a lot of em with their price mark....

My old Toshiba is a bit flaky (it came with Vista if that tells you how old it is).... Still works but reboots when somebody farts in my zipcode.....

Looking forward to getting it in... Next, I dive into the rabbit hole with A/D & DAW shit... Some A/Ds I think come with a DAW, I think PT has a free version to play with, Harris is cool... I may buy a copy of Logic X Pro as it is native......

Looking forward to learning ins & outs of the M1 in audio and graphics.... Gonna be fun......

Anybody else have an M1 Air and running a DAW?

edro.
I’m not using the m1 just an intel chipset but I got the notice from Avid that Protools is supposed to work great on the m1 now. I’ve been very happy with my subscription, although Avid support could maybe be 100% more responsive. I like the audio workflow of Protools much better than Logic, but Logic has a lot of neat midi features.

As far as I can see from benchmarks, at the price the m1 is at for the typical laptop user plus audio recording I think it’s probably a best buy,

Latest Threads