Birds Eye Rick Build - Kit

pshupe

Reaction score
Good evening gentlemen, and possibly ladies.

I'm building a birds eye maple Rickenbacker style guitar as a kit for a friend and thought I would start a build thread. I am out of town and find myself with some spare time so I will start this build thread and post some pics of what I have so far.

This will closely resemble my last build, which was a Rick 360 C63 in a six string style guitar. Built like the old style Ricks, with some modern details to help with the issues these guitars had.

The wood selection is Birds Eye hard maple with a walnut skunk stripe, a la Ricks. This will have wider maple pieces for the neck as there will be no walnut ears attached to the headstock.

Here is the wood I will be using. The thinner piece on the right is for the neck. It has a lot of birdseye and should make a great neck. The wider piece is also quite thick with decent figure and will be used for the thicker body top.
315lnaa.jpg

Here is one side of the thinner back plate -
2hpu686.jpg

and the other side which shows some darker heart wood, which I only uncovered once I planed the rough sawn lumber. I was disappointed at first but then it is really starting to grow on me as the contrast is so natural and the figure is awesome. It will be up to my friend to make the decision whether or not to use this for the back. Opinions welcomed. I will re-saw and glue up to get a final look before offering up for the final decision.
j8gydf.jpg

I've picked a really nice piece of walnut and jointed, planed, and ripped both the neck and top (body) wood.
2ephkqg.jpg

Here is where I am currently. Almost finished! :D:dude:
bebuif.jpg

I'm excited about getting into another build as my last one has been delivered and I had a little postpartum depression setting in! :D

Cheers Peter

pshupe

Reaction score
I spent most of the weekend cleaning up my shop. It was an absolute nightmare and I needed to get rid of all the bits of wood I had been collecting to use "sometime" down the road. My shop just isn't big enough to stockpile things I won't be using imminently.

Today I got around to setting up my band saw for re-sawing. I have a very good bandsaw but haven't spent the time to get it running properly. Today I spent about an hour rotating the ceramic guides, and adjusting for just the right tolerance. WOW what a difference. I re-sawed the birds eye maple back from above and was very happy with the results.
zu16yx.jpg

I am also happy with the results of what was inside!
213kq51.jpg

Very nice birdseye figure and the heart wood has some really nice grain going on.

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
Thanks Mike - Stay tuned! ;-)

Cheers Peter.

mike_dave

Reaction score
Very excited Peter. I always enjoy going through your build threads...
Let the dust fly!! \m/

emoney

Reaction score
Very cool, and I, too, have a box of wood bits that I'll "probably use at some point".
Every now and then, I use them as kindling for the outdoor fire.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good evening gentlemen, and possibly ladies.

I'm building a birds eye maple Rickenbacker style guitar as a kit for a friend and thought I would start a build thread. I am out of town and find myself with some spare time so I will start this build thread and post some pics of what I have so far.

This will closely resemble my last build, which was a Rick 360 C63 in a six string style guitar. Built like the old style Ricks, with some modern details to help with the issues these guitars had.

The wood selection is Birds Eye hard maple with a walnut skunk stripe, a la Ricks. This will have wider maple pieces for the neck as there will be no walnut ears attached to the headstock.

Here is the wood I will be using. The thinner piece on the right is for the neck. It has a lot of birdseye and should make a great neck. The wider piece is also quite thick with decent figure and will be used for the thicker body top.

Here is one side of the thinner back plate -

and the other side which shows some darker heart wood, which I only uncovered once I planed the rough sawn lumber. I was disappointed at first but then it is really starting to grow on me as the contrast is so natural and the figure is awesome. It will be up to my friend to make the decision whether or not to use this for the back. Opinions welcomed. I will re-saw and glue up to get a final look before offering up for the final decision.

I've picked a really nice piece of walnut and jointed, planed, and ripped both the neck and top (body) wood.

Here is where I am currently. Almost finished! :D:dude:
bebuif.jpg

I'm excited about getting into another build as my last one has been delivered and I had a little postpartum depression setting in! :D

Cheers Peter

This reminds me of Telle's first LP build. I think it became his avatar :)

I'm confused by "as a kit". So you mean you are making this into a kit which your friend will assemble and finish?

pshupe

Reaction score
Chris - yeah that is what I was thinking about when I placed the neck on the body. Had to snap a picture of that. I actually chuckled when I saw it on the bench like that, and remembered that avatar.

Yeah I'm making a kit, pretty much, for a guy from the forum. Vary basic kit, actually. Unbound unfinished body, with unfinished neck without fret board. Hopefully it won't take me too long to complete. I've got a few other in the works as well.

Cheers Peter.

boompiday

Reaction score
Very cool! I'd love one with a curly maple body.

pshupe

Reaction score
boompiday - That's next. I have the wood for a 381 v69 12 string build.

2gsn4up.jpg

That should be fun.

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
So I've been revising my CAD dwgs for this build. I bought some scratch plates for a 330 / 360 so I scanned them and have modified my drawings to match those scratch plates. Here is a shot of pretty much everything looking from the top of the guitar.

w9uzk3.jpg

I'll be final dimensioning my neck blank tonight and then doing the same for the body and can get at the chambering. It's starting to come together now.

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
on with the neck.

I jointed, cut to width, planed, and thickness sanded the neck prior to cutting the headstock angle on my bandsaw.

288w0sx.jpg

then routed for TR - I have the stew mac hot rod truss rod bit, so it takes the guess work out of it.

24eb66v.jpg

Routed out the TR access as well and test fit the rod.

2h4yqzp.jpg

I also marked out the headstock shape and where the TR cover would go.

2qi4squ.jpg

I'm going to get started on the body now.

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
Ok So working on the body now. I use my CNC machine to do this but to be honest I bet it would be just as quick, maybe quicker using templates and a router. Here is the back all chambered out.

2qvwe3p.jpg

Top cut out with control opening and cateye sound hole.
10oi35z.jpg

I cut out the body with my "NTD" mini-bandsaw that I found in my shed. Now I don't have to change the blade in my big bandsaw.
2q354jr.jpg

Then over to the sander to get as close as I can -
29er80j.jpg

Now over to the router table with a flush trim bit to finish up -
sxnq0k.jpg

So while I haven't done the bracing yet I want to bind the sound hole. I made a little jig to trim some binding a little thinner to make it easier to bend around the tight radius of the sound hole -
2cq0lqx.jpg

Then made a tapered caul to put the binding in the sound hole -
2mg84jp.jpg

So once the binding goop has dried I'll scrape it and see how it looks. Then it's onto bracing and cutting the binding channel on the top.

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
Scraped and sanded flush the sound hole binding. Looks pretty good. I love this binding. It really bends around small radii and melts well without discolouration.

2unu4xv.jpg

27z93kj.jpg

Now I can put in the bracing and work on the fitment of the neck.

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
Thanks - boompiday It's coming along. Hopefully get the braces done tonight and cut the neck tenon to size. I like these style necks as there are no shoulders to shape and fit to the body. I also like the juniors the way they fit the mortise.

Cheers Peter

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
<sigh> CNC for me someday maybe...

This is looking great :)

Latest Threads