Binding scraper depth stop didn't work

JKHamby

Reaction score
So, it veered over the maple in a couple of spots.

Is my only real alternative to sand back and redo the color coats?

thanks all

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pictures? Is it a Burst that you sprayed? You may be able to touch up and scrape again.

Cheers Peter.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a piece of dowel.

Drill through the dowel about 1/4 down from the end

take a thin saw and cut down from the top about 1 1/2 inches, 90 degrees from the hole you drilled.

Insert a single edge trapezoid--shaped razor blade in the slot.

Put a small screw that's long enough to go through both sides of the hole, use it as a set screw.

Push the razor blade through the slot in the dowel so that about .060 is exposed, just the size of the binding.

Set it in position and tighen it up with the screw.

You can make this quick scraping tool in less than 5 minutes. Just run it around the perimeter of the body, let the blade scrape the binding top ledge.

JKHamby

Reaction score
Take a piece of dowel.

Drill through the dowel about 1/4 down from the end

take a thin saw and cut down from the top about 1 1/2 inches, 90 degrees from the hole you drilled.

Insert a single edge trapezoid--shaped razor blade in the slot.

Put a small screw that's long enough to go through both sides of the hole, use it as a set screw.

Push the razor blade through the slot in the dowel so that about .060 is exposed, just the size of the binding.

Set it in position and tighen it up with the screw.

You can make this quick scraping tool in less than 5 minutes. Just run it around the perimeter of the body, let the blade scrape the binding top ledge.
How would you fix the over scraping?

I was thinking light and thin color coats just on the edge. Maybe even shield most of the top with a piece of cardboard held just above the surface.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you fix the over scraping?

I was thinking light and thin color coats just on the edge. Maybe even shield most of the top with a piece of cardboard held just above the surface.
Are you talking about that divot in the pic above?

ugh. Tough one. I'd mask around it very well, take some of the left-over paint I assume you wisely have kept, try and drop-fill just to get the color right. Then be very patient with coats of clear, gently sanding back every two coats until you've got the whole Magilla leveled out. It's very tough to fix a blem in a color coat.

As far as the binding, I don't see any over scraping. I see under scraping. You're trying to rid the yellowed binding of left over red, yes?

You adjust the blade to scrape only the area over the binding when the tool is pressed up against the side of the guitar.

I found a pic on the web. It isn't mine, but it's close enough to get the point across:

IMAG2710.jpg

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Sometimes, attempting to do finish repairs only makes matters worse. Since the over-scrape is minor, personally I'd suggest that the best answer would be to just leave it alone.

If that won't suit you, then it's going to be a matter of spending several hours doing painstaking hand touchups to the edge, and never allowing yourself to become impatient and rush the process.

Roxy13

Reaction score
How do you keep the razor blade from scraping the body? Shouldn't it go the other direction and have the razor blade recessed high enough that the edge of the dowel rides along the perimter of the body?

NM, the guitar body is black and that is how they are doing it lol! I was totally seeing that picture wrong and thought that was an outside curve and they had the edge of the dowel on top of the guitar body. I feel stupid now.

Lester

Reaction score
NM, the guitar body is black and that is how they are doing it lol! I was totally seeing that picture wrong and thought that was an outside curve and they had the edge of the dowel on top of the guitar body. I feel stupid now.
LOL, I thought the same thing. One of those photos you can see either way.

the great waldo

Reaction score
So, it veered over the maple in a couple of spots.

Is my only real alternative to sand back and redo the color coats?

thanks all
Hi JK
You might find that if you clean up your scraping at the top , a wet coat of laquer thinned out a bit will cause a colour bleed into the binding and even it out a bit. ( go easy on spraying wet to avoid runs. a fast wet coat let it flash of for a while then another fast coat which allow a little thickness without runs)Then you could try a rescrape. The colour youv'e got is fairly dark if you have access to an airbrush that would get you out of trouble. Good luck Laquer work is always a pia, but cellulose is a bit more forgiving than some other finishes.
Cheers
Andrew

Latest Threads