Binding help

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Well...yes, what you want to do can be done and you're doing it! And learning a lot in the process. Nothing wrong with that!

But...be patient. Patience is critical to doing the job right. Including being patient when asking for help. Let people give you the benefit of their advice before rushing ahead and tearing the thing apart before anybody even has a chance to respond to your request.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't meant to be deceptive at all,and does the fact that the top was sanded change the question of removing bindings? I don't believe it does at all.. I've actually made a post regarding the guitar in it's entirety before this post was made..And I'm definitely not skilled enough on the lingo to explain the extent of what I've done, I'm a novice and just wanted a guitar that was made for me, I just wanted something you couldn't just go and buy,so if my post is deceptive that truly wasn't the intention, I just wanted to know if removing bindings was possible,so I apologise for this thread...
Not that it was deceptive, but we were offering advice assuming that you had an otherwise untouched Corbin.
We didn't know that it was a work in progress and that you had already done a lot of work to it.
Would it have changed the comments about the change in the neck width impacting feel in a significant way? No... that is still an issue, and only you can tell if the new width is a problem.

Cj_Havoc

Reaction score
Not that it was deceptive, but we were offering advice assuming that you had an otherwise untouched Corbin.
We didn't know that it was a work in progress and that you had already done a lot of work to it.
Would it have changed the comments about the change in the neck width impacting feel in a significant way? No... that is still an issue, and only you can tell if the new width is a problem.
Okay ,so does what condition a guitar is in change the answer to a simple question? Can bindings be removed and left off?

Cj_Havoc

Reaction score
Well...yes, what you want to do can be done and you're doing it! And learning a lot in the process. Nothing wrong with that!

But...be patient. Patience is critical to doing the job right. Including being patient when asking for help. Let people give you the benefit of their advice before rushing ahead and tearing the thing apart before anybody even has a chance to respond to your request.
I will, I just saw a Senior Member say it was technically possible and I went with it..

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Well, a friend of mine who is a neurologist told me that it was technically possible for a person to perform brain surgery on HIMSELF. But you don't see me trying it! :hmm:

It's POSSIBLE for me to drive a racecar at Daytona. I would not say that it's currently possible for me to actually win a race at Daytona. The difference between "possible" and "can" is skill level which is always related closely to experience..

But you're not dealing with something nasty like a short headstock break or a neck reset, either. What you're doing is not difficult, it's just very labor intensive.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will, I just saw a Senior Member say it was technically possible and I went with it..
"Senior Member" and other titles are automatic, based on post count.
They are not bestowed upon particularly knowledgeable members by the admin or anything.
Some "Members" really know their stuff.
Some "Senior Members" couldn't set the intonation without watching a Youtube video ;)

Randall and Johnson really know their stuff, but you've indicated that you don't have a lot of the tools that really are required for a project like this to go well.
Yes, an experienced woodworker could build a Stradivarius copy with nothing more than hand tools.
I can't.... and I would not be attempting what you are doing without some serious power tools.

ARandall

Reaction score
Whilst I applaud the endeavour, you already were calling it the worst project you'd ever attempted before starting the thread here (in the luthiers corner section specifically).
If we'd known what you'd done already, the hassles you'd already had, the problems you had that you already were not equipped to fix on your own, plus how you were viewing what you'd done and the fact that the finish was already off (rather than a fully finished guitar you merely wanted to take some width of the sides off) then indeed much of the advice might have taken a different slant.

Its done now.......but it could all have been so much smoother (as well as a more productive learning experience in terms of finished product) if you'd done all the asking before you attempted.
On the upside, most of us got our start in this area by taking something and totally screwing it up (possibly many times). But also we got wise and after the first disaster looked to asking for (and listening to) advice before the next project commenced.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just have to comment further.

There are a lot of great, knowledgable luthiers and hobby builders in this corner of the forum who as mentioned above, have decades of experience and knowhow .

A little lesson on life for the young:

When a whole pack of experienced, knowledged, skilled old pros offer advice, guidance and instructions..

Take it.

in any field. Don't let impatience get the better of you.

Could be, someday you're telling the very same thing to some youngster down the line.

Latest Threads