Binding Ding Advice Needed

Subterfuge

Reaction score
Hi Gentlemen, I hope everyone is doing well .. I just have one quick question please ... it seems the binding took a hit, I just noticed it for the first time now, it doesn't bother me at all, my question is simply,
IMG_1390 (3).JPG
IMG_1388 (3).JPG
IMG_1391 (4).JPG
IMG_1389 (3).JPG
if left as is will it spread or stay as it is now ?? I don't want it to spread and create a larger area ... should I put a drop of Super-Glue on it ? I really have no idea regarding finish work on this guitar .. any and all help would be greatly appreciated !!

Side Burns

Reaction score
I say leave it. Its not worth leaving a blotch on an already beautifully aged guitar.
More experienced people will help more than i have,

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely not superglue.
I'm not sure if that's the result of a hit, or just a chip from the natural checking of the lacquer.
If you are concerned about it spreading, it could be drop-filled with clear lacquer with a touch of amber tint to help lock in the surrounding chips... but that is a job for someone who knows what they're doing.

Personally,I'd not mess with it.

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Looks to me like that's only in the lacquer, not in the binding itself. As mentioned, you can drop fill, level sand and polish or just let it go.

If I were doing the repair myself, I'd fill it with some UV aged nitro rather than adding any color. Adding color may match at first but will show up later as the rest of the nitro ages.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yep it's just a chunk of the lacquer chipped off .. as long as it won't spread leaving it sounds great .. at the very most fill the drop with a lacquer pen I hope ? sure don't want to spend gob's of money ... money very tight right now

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
No SuperGlue on that for sure.

And then there is this:
" (...) it seems the binding took a hit, I just noticed it for the first time now, it doesn't bother me at all (...) "

;)

ARandall

Reaction score
You've got checking all over the top......which means its either really aged or artificially done. Why then would you want to consider repairs something that is a sign of real age......either adding to whatever is real already, or adding a legitimate mark

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Make another ding to match it. Make it look mean!

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
For a guitar with that much finish checking, it'd look weird if there WEREN'T any corner chips on it. Absolutely leave it. Hell, add a few more.

judson

Reaction score
when buying used guitars, i would rather see a ding, scratch or crack left alone as opposed to someone throwing something on it that ends up looking more like a noticeable turd...

leave it, my opinion

Subterfuge

Reaction score
You've got checking all over the top......which means its either really aged or artificially done. Why then would you want to consider repairs something that is a sign of real age......either adding to whatever is real already, or adding a legitimate mark
checking is all real .. super hot here in summer and super cold in winter .. as stated, the only reason I even considered repairing the ding was in case the hole would spread .. seem's it won't, so it's a no brainer ... it stays as is ... trying to keep the lacquer finish pristine is a loosing battle .. it's the nature of the beast

cmjohnson

Reaction score
That looks like honest lacquer ageing checking, not "idiot with a razor blade trying to fake it" checking.

Far as I'm concerned, leave that chip alone. HONEST, REAL ageing adds mojo and cool factor. And that process has begun on your guitar.

Faked ageing/relic'ing is strictly posers posing. I detest it in no uncertain terms.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
not a finishing expert, but have been around similar situations in furniture that have similar chips in finish....primarily lacquer. once it's chipped, it's easier for air, humidity, liquids, etc to enter underneath the leading edge, making it easier for the spot to spread. something to consider and others to comment on, is...perhaps a small q tip or the like dampened with lacquer thinner or acetone to gently melt the edge to a feather edge to reestablish adhesion. personally, i would leave it, but you act concerned that you don't want it to get any bigger....anyways, just a thought

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
not a finishing expert, but have been around similar situations in furniture that have similar chips in finish....primarily lacquer. once it's chipped, it's easier for air, humidity, liquids, etc to enter underneath the leading edge, making it easier for the spot to spread. something to consider and others to comment on, is...perhaps a small q tip or the like dampened with lacquer thinner or acetone to gently melt the edge to a feather edge to reestablish adhesion. personally, i would leave it, but you act concerned that you don't want it to get any bigger....anyways, just a thought
The acetone will attack the binding though. Just drop lacquer in, for exactly the reason fdp stated....to seal the leading edge of the chip and keep it from flaking further.

cherrick

Reaction score
Tell everyone you had to pay extra for the relic'ing and leave it as is.

Latest Threads