Billy Gibbons plays Melody Maker... Still sounds like BG

mdubya

Reaction score
It is clearly a custom shop Melody Maker. But you could do a lot worse than a Melody Maker with a Pearly Gates in the bridge. :dunno:

slug_maine

Reaction score
What's going on at 1:35, they got another guitar player backing him up?

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
He has a repro of his first junior that he brings on tour.. it has a stacked humbucker at the bridge.. it’s on one or more of his rig rundowns.. but yep.. it’s in the fingas..

slug_maine

Reaction score
Or backing tracks. :dunno:

ZZ have been entertainers first since the 80's.

They sell a product. Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers is all an act, imho. ;)
I'm not knocking on BG, I love the band and what they've done over the years. Just an observation that maybe at his age he's needing a little help. It happens, you look at the last 15 or 20 years of BB King and the guitar was mostly a prop with a lick or two thrown in here and there.

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
Billy was using backing tracks 30 years ago too. That was definitely shitty sounding. I have seen ZZ 8 times dating back to 1991 and unfortunately they sucked every time. I love them, but I have seen bar bands do better jobs of their songs. It got to the point that I actually questioned whether Billy was ever that good. Deep down I know he is, but I never have seen it live. My favorite guitarists like Warren, Duane, Herring, Betts, and so many others seem better live not worse.

slug_maine

Reaction score
Billy was using backing tracks 30 years ago too. That was definitely shitty sounding. I have seen ZZ 8 times dating back to 1991 and unfortunately they sucked every time. I love them, but I have seen bar bands do better jobs of their songs. It got to the point that I actually questioned whether Billy was ever that good. Deep down I know he is, but I never have seen it live. My favorite guitarists like Warren, Duane, Herring, Betts, and so many others seem better live not worse.
I'd rather see him live like this. In a more intimate setting without all the fluff.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
1:35 definitely busted. Shame, but hey we know it's what they've been doing for ages. Just how it is since video killed the radio star.....

dennis g

Reaction score
Keeping with the intent of the original post (I think). I've posted here on other threads, and depending on who said it (I've seen it attributed to Gilmour, Richards, et al) "Give me any guitar and any amp, and inside of 15 minutes, I'll sound like me". Paraphrasing, of course, but the point is well taken - it's the player, not the equipment.

spoony

Premium Member
Reaction score
The one and only time I have seen them was a few years back and they were playing with Jeff Beck. I really enjoyed the show as well as the playing. I went to see Jeff Beck for the most part but man how I enjoyed the little old band from Texas. They had the place Rockin.

s

Last edited:

Slater529

Senior Citizen
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still sounds like BG... well what else would he sound like? He IS BG. Sorry, I guess don't get the point.

meatball

Reaction score
To me Billy was at his finest on Rio Grand Mud. Excellent work. Love Chevrolet the Most!

Latest Threads