Billy Gibbons hat

Kezman

Reaction score
I've been soaking in Billy Gibbons the last few weeks, watching all the older ZZ Top videos, learning alot of the classic riffs "La Grange & Tush" to name a few.
I've also been watching some Billy Gibbons interviews, which got me to dig into some of his Blues inspirations "Jimmy Reed, Eddie Taylor, Robert Johnson and Elmore James to name a few.

Anyways.......here's the story behind the hat. :hmm:

During a ZZ Top tour in Africa, Billy was introduced to a chief of Cameroon's Bamileke tribe.
At the time, Billy was wearing a ten gallon Stetson, but it seems the chief wanted that Stetson very much.
Billy was urged to promptly give his Stetson to the chief.
However, Gibbons had them let the chief know that back in Texas there is a custom of "horse tradin'".
The chief was more than happy to respond by presenting Billy with his own hat that we are so used to seeing Billy with today.

So although Billy's hair loss could also be a factor, his hat certainly has some deep roots.

But you gotta love that crazy hat! :thumb:

Zenzeypher

Reaction score
I have always wondered about it, until you mentioned it...I didnt think to ask.

realjimjim

Reaction score
That's really a good story.

I wonder if there's a photo of the chief wearing Billy's Stetson?

I've also been really curious about that hat but too layz to googlelize it.

Thanks for that post!

Kezman

Reaction score
Those hats are hard to find from what I have read, I did find this though!
Brown African Nudu Style Beanie Hat.... $425
ARE you kidding me 425 bucks!

African Nudu Beanie Hat

Jakeislove

Reaction score
Great story!

I just thought it was one of those things where rich people wear odd stuff and everyone ignores it.

Fireproof

Reaction score
Ha ha - love that.

I've been looking for one. I was hoping to find one reasonably priced, but haven't. No way I'm spending that much money on an ugly hat. But if I could find a cheap knockoff, that'd be cool.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I ran into BG in the mom and pop convenience store adjoining my studio. He was buying a drink. He's pretty tall, which surprised me.... And he was wearing the hat!

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
That's really cool. So somewhere in the African bush there's a Masai warrior stalking a buffalo wearing a 10 gallon Stetson.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not to be a dick or anything, because the story is cool, but I've always gotten the impression that BG is a very shrewd guy, and is very aware of "legend building"... A lot of the stories associated with him, may or may not be true... I've kind of gotten the idea that he's not above making up cool stories about himself.

True or not, the hat story is a good one. :)

Jakeislove

Reaction score
@ Skin,

How many nerds do you think are wearing those hats?

He's probably cashing in on the Slash thing, LOL!

Lars Tetan, a cigar guy local to me, is a master at coming up with interesting legends to sell his wares. :)

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@ Skin,

How many nerds do you think are wearing those hats?

He's probably cashing in on the Slash thing, LOL!

Lars Tetan, a cigar guy local to me, is a master at coming up with interesting legends to sell his wares. :)
BG has very effectively built up a mythos around himself, and it wouldn't surprise me if his iconic hat was part of that.

He's also claimed to own the only Gibson Moderne in existence, but has repeatedly denied people access to examine it. Does he really have it? Or a clever fake? That's the kind of stuff BG does. :laugh2:

Jakeislove

Reaction score
BG has very effectively built up a mythos around himself, and it wouldn't surprise me if his iconic hat was part of that.

He's also claimed to own the only Gibson Moderne in existence, but has repeatedly denied people access to examine it. Does he really have it? Or a clever fake? That's the kind of stuff BG does. :laugh2:
People buy what he's selling.

I'm a fan but really haven't loved any of their commercial stuff.

Was recently explaining "Blue jean blues" to DGF. She gave me the classic look women do when tolerating nerds, LOL!

Rich

Non sequitur
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought he was growing asparagus out of his head.

Latest Threads