Bike Commuting, who here does it?

Kezia

Reaction score
I've just recently started biking to work instead of driving, sadly my license is suspended so it's not by choice. I haven't ridden a bike regularly in nearly 15 years, and booooooyyy after a few days of biking to work and back my legs feel like jello. The sad part is, my commute to work is only a little over a mile! Google maps said it'll take 8 minutes to bike there, but at my current rate I'm taking at least 20 minutes to get up there haha.

Anyone else here used to getting around town via bicycle? Any tips on how to not wear myself out and to take decent care of my bike would be appreciated. I finally aired up the tires properly at work earlier today and it's riding like a dream now!

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't work any longer, but I try to ride my bike 7-10 miles each day - weather permitting. It takes time to build up endurances & strength. There is no short cut, just keep riding.

Get a good bike and make sure to keep the tires inflated properly.

Kezia

Reaction score
I don't work any longer, but I try to ride my bike 7-10 miles each day - weather permitting. It takes time to build up endurances & strength. There is no short cut, just keep riding.

Get a good bike and make sure to keep the tires inflated properly.
Right now I'm riding a cheapo GMC Denali 700c bicycle, it works for now despite being a lil small but I'm keeping my eye out for something a little larger.

sonar1

Reaction score
Gears. Use them to maintain a steady peddling pace whether uphill or on the flat. Speed varies, but rpm stays steady. 70-80 rpm about right. Lift heels. Peddle on balls of feet. Don’t overload knees: spin! It will wind you but soon get better. Stay on saddle except brief bursts (say, cresting a hill).
I commuted uphill 9 miles to work. Had 15 gears. 40 minutes.

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm riding a cheapo GMC Denali 700c bicycle, it works for now despite being a lil small but I'm keeping my eye out for something a little larger.
There are a number of articles/videos for correctly fitting your bike. Seat hight, fore/aft seat placement, handlebar position/height, etc. are very important to your ability to ride effectively and without pain. A good saddle is also required.

That's why I suggested a good bike. Part of the process of choosing a bike is picking one for your needs, and having it set up correctly. A good bike shop will be able to do that for you. Your height, weight, leg length, arm/torso length all play a part in "sizing" a bike for you.

Those $99 specials at the local sporting goods store, or Target, Walmart are pretty much junk. But, if you set them up correctly, they will work fine for occasional recreational use. The problem with them is that they are usually very heavy (kiss of death), have cheap drivetrains, poor brakes, bad saddles and horrible tires. All that aside, get the geometry correct for you, and you can make them work.

In the end, however, if you are any kind of serious about riding, you will want to go to a bike shop and find the right bike for your needs and have it fit for you.

PeteK

Reaction score
I commute when it's not freezing ass cold out. I bought a Trek FX Sport last year and have no regrets. It's 9 miles from my house to work. The FX Sport has a single chainring with a wide range cassette so it's more similar to mountain bike gearing, which really helps a big guy like me in the hills. Also it's a hybrid bike, so even though it leans more towards the road side of things, it's has flat handlebars, platform pedals and disc brakes. Wide-ish tires for a road bike are more for comfort than speed. I don't have a pic of mine, but it looks just like this:

I've done a lot of riding in my life. I got really into the endurance rides a while back and have done probably 30 or so century rides in the last decade. My advice is that the bike definitely matters. Fitness obviously does too, but the new bikes are so light and so stiff, it's a world of difference. I don't know what kind of bike you are riding, but if it's a mountain bike, do yourself a favor and get something meant for the road. You will be so much more efficient. Disc brakes are worth the price too. Soo much better than the old calipers.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We got a couple Trek bikes this summer... they are close to the bottom end of their lines, price wise, each around $600. But, they are orders of magnitude better than big box store bikes.

They are sort of a hybrid class, but mine is closer to a road bike, and hers is closer to a gravel/trail bike.

Mine is an FX-2 Disk

2.jpg

My wife's is a DS-2 Disk

3.jpg

Chester Drawers

Reaction score
Normally, 8 miles each way on the Brompton, plus train.

Haven’t ridden into work for a while. Rode in all the way during lockdown in the summer, 35 miles return. Got pretty fit ( on a proper road bike ). Must get back into it when the weather improves.

D0D170FC-B54A-47D5-BD60-EA5F2D925AA7.jpeg

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If it was me it would have to be an E-Bike :thumb:

My buddy in DFW just got an e-Bike. His knees are shot and that was the only way he can bike ride. He loves it. The assist gives him the ability to actually pedal, but not kill his knees.

Chester Drawers

Reaction score
If it was me it would have to be an E-Bike :thumb:
Being an ex bike racer, I always thought I’d never ride an e bike. Hired an e mountain bike in Austria a couple of years ago and loved it. It’s almost impossible to hire a conventional bike over there these days. They make absolute sense.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I am too damned old to ride any sort of regular bicycle, especially in my mountain area. There is no gear low enough uphill! But an electrically assisted bike is fine. I thus would recommend an “E bike” of the kind that merely gives you pedaling assist. There are E bikes that go without pedaling, but if your driver’s license has been suspended, one of those might be illegal for you to ride. Check local laws.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My buddy has one of these... rides it every day.

Latest Threads