Bigsby or maestro/lyre vibrato on a black LP

ryandiaz440

Reaction score
i was wondering if a bigsby or a maestro/lyre vibrato would look good on my black les paul studio w/chrome hardware and gold speed knobs

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A Bigsby would look GREAT! A B-30 will install with no drilling to the top of the body.
Vibrola-style vibratos are well-known for more tuning difficulties than a Bigsby ever had!
Good luck!

patrick ginnaty

Reaction score
My '89 Studio...
PA010995-1.jpg

ryandiaz440

Reaction score
so a b-30 has no drilling what so ever on the top
and nice guitar patrick mines a 2001

ryandiaz440

Reaction score
WOW THAT IS F'IN SWEAT...now i gotta get a set of black spead knobs and pickup rings

ryandiaz440

Reaction score
does the bigsby stay in tune as good as the origional setup, and is the action as good too

jumpinjackf1ash

Reaction score
Hey guys I have an epi les paul that I'm thinking about putting a bigsby on. All of my other guitars have tremolos on them and I miss having a trem when I play my LP.

I'm assuming the bigsby on stevefried's black les paul is a B70?

And the one on dennistruckdriver's gold LP is a B30?

And I'm pretty sure you have to do drilling on the top for the B70 and not B30?

If I end up putting on a bigsby I'll prob get some locking tuners and a graphite nut and saddles so I don't think tuning will be a problem...but what about SUSTAIN? Thats what I'm afraid of losing if I put on the bigsby. How much different is it from the stop tail? Will the sound be changed at all?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! :]

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
does the bigsby stay in tune as good as the origional setup, and is the action as good too

Once properly set up, and the strings get broken in, tuning is not a big issue. Of course, the more and harder the Bigsby is used, the more likely the strings are to go out of tune. Usually stock tuners and a properly fitted nut are not an issue, as a Bigsby only lessens the tension in small amounts, unlike a Floyd Rose, where the strings can get so loose they actually vibrate against the frets.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have an epi les paul that I'm thinking about putting a bigsby on. All of my other guitars have tremolos on them and I miss having a trem when I play my LP.

I'm assuming the bigsby on stevefried's black les paul is a B70?

And the one on dennistruckdriver's gold LP is a B30?

And I'm pretty sure you have to do drilling on the top for the B70 and not B30?

If I end up putting on a bigsby I'll prob get some locking tuners and a graphite nut and saddles so I don't think tuning will be a problem...but what about SUSTAIN? Thats what I'm afraid of losing if I put on the bigsby. How much different is it from the stop tail? Will the sound be changed at all?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! :]

Steve's is a B-7 which is the US made version. Mine is a B-30. Drilling is necessary for B-7s or B-70s, as well as B-5s or B-50s, which don't extend to the bottom of the guitar.
b50.jpg

Sustain is slightly less, but that is the tradeoff.
Tuners and nut should not need to be changed if they are in good condition and properly fitted.

ryandiaz440

Reaction score
im thinking of a graphtech nut for my LP when i decide to get a bigsby or not cause the whole low E string corner is just gone. also what year is your LP dennis

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
im thinking of a graphtech nut for my LP when i decide to get a bigsby or not cause the whole low E string corner is just gone. also what year is your LP dennis

In that case a Graphtech nut would be a recommended installation.
I don't know what year that Goldie was. I sold it last year. I think it was probably a '99 or so. It was Korean and was a piece of crap. I had a later one that was Chinese that was an EXCELLENT guitar! I sold it to a friend here in town who plays it in a swing/jump blues/rockabilly band.

what is the range on a bigsby? I've heard its about +/- one half step
That is about right. Not much range, but nothing sounds so silky and liquid like a Bigsby!

ryandiaz440

Reaction score
Ya really want a set of black speed knobs? I don't like them on mine...

i was just playin i got the origional knobs on mine, there gold i gotta post a pic of it, just not the pickguard

dennis so if a graphtech nut is not a good choice then what is?

stevefried

Reaction score
I put the B7 model on my Studio and also on a 3 pickup Black Beauty. The B7 does require holes and you have to check very carefully if the strap button is centered. I was OK with drilling and the main reason I put them on was the looks. With the standard bridge if you wang on it a lot it will definitely affect the tuning. I put roller bridges on both of mine (after I took the picture on the Studio). With the roller bridges the tuning is a lot better. I don't know about the graphite nuts but my feeling is it will help and if your guitar needs a new nut anyway, I'd give it a try.
BB2.jpg

Latest Threads