Bigsby on a carved top jazzmaster?

mortenelbjorn

Reaction score
Hi everybody
It’s been a while since I have posted anything here but now I am finally beginning my first real build. I will be doing a full thread on it but first a question which might be a dealbreaker for the entire project.

My idea is to go for a jazzmaster style body but carved like the fender select jazzmaster. Like in this picture.

Further I would like to put a bigsby b6 or b7 on it. And here is my question:

How can I mount the bigsby when the body isn’t straight where the bigsby is mounted? Will I have to reshape the body so that it will have a straight surface for the tailpiece? Is there some way for me to perhaps bend (or cut) the bigsby to make it fit the body? Or do any of you guys see any other clever solution?

pshupe

Reaction score
Hi everybody
It’s been a while since I have posted anything here but now I am finally beginning my first real build. I will be doing a full thread on it but first a question which might be a dealbreaker for the entire project.

My idea is to go for a jazzmaster style body but carved like the fender select jazzmaster. Like in this picture.

Further I would like to put a bigsby b6 or b7 on it. And here is my question:

How can I mount the bigsby when the body isn’t straight where the bigsby is mounted? Will I have to reshape the body so that it will have a straight surface for the tailpiece? Is there some way for me to perhaps bend (or cut) the bigsby to make it fit the body? Or do any of you guys see any other clever solution?
Would you consider a b5? Seems a little crazy to modify the guitar If you use in conjunction with a Vibramate you will not have to drill any holes into the guitar and can easily take it off and put the tailpiece back on later.

Regards Peter.

mortenelbjorn

Reaction score
Yeah I would definitely consider a B5 but I thought that it wouldn’t fit a carved top.. but I can see that stewmac writes that it can be installed on a Les Paul...

ARandall

Reaction score
At a pinch, if you want a flatter area to mount it, just make one yourself as part of the carve. I've fitted a vintage JM trem to a carved top build so its possible (and easy) to do.

mortenelbjorn

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. I have googled bigsby b5 les Paul and it seems it can be fitted very well. In this picture it seems it is on dead flat to the top. I would prefer to do it without the vibramate because I don’t mind screwing it directly to the body since I want it to stay there forever.

@ ARandall: yeah you’re right, since I am doing the carve myself I will just make the area flat...