Bigsby. Love it or loathe it on a Les Paul? What do you think?

Bigsby or no Bigsby

• Yay

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 31 57.4%

• Total voters

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have them on almost every guitar I own...

the ones that don’t have one simply got taken off for a new “look” at the last re-string

viibramate changed everything

my lp recording and a new one have the bigsby drilled into the maple top and mahogany tail...no Vibramate

I love them...granted I’m not doing dive bombs
But the inherent flaw on a Bigsby/les Paul imho was the break angle from the bridge...
Because a les Paul doesn’t have the real estate to allow for a gentle break so intonation was goofy and tricky...

the Vibramate raises the entire apparatus just enough to make the break angle tame enough to be stable.... and makes it the most utterly perfect instrument imho

-chris

moreles

Reaction score
IMO, a Bigsby is an abominable feature, visually. I have no idea why people enjoy the look of a big hunk of automotive hardware slapped on top of any guitar, let alone a LP. It does not fit with the looks (shapes, contours, colors) of a LP in any way. Since Bigsby already exists and has it fans, nobody's going to develop a mechanically superior (anything would be superior to Bigsby's junk mechanical design) trem that delivers the same distinct warble, which is too bad. Of course, the only way to get a Bigsby effect is to use a Bigsby, but as far as I'm concerned, only Brian Setzer and Neil Young (who seemingly uses his mainly to throw his guitars way out of tune) have a real, positive need for a Bigsby. Yeah, I dislike them big time. They're about as attractive as gluing a pair of Vise-Grips on your guitar.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
IMO, a Bigsby is an abominable feature, visually. I have no idea why people enjoy the look of a big hunk of automotive hardware slapped on top of any guitar, let alone a LP. It does not fit with the looks (shapes, contours, colors) of a LP in any way. Since Bigsby already exists and has it fans, nobody's going to develop a mechanically superior (anything would be superior to Bigsby's junk mechanical design) trem that delivers the same distinct warble, which is too bad. Of course, the only way to get a Bigsby effect is to use a Bigsby, but as far as I'm concerned, only Brian Setzer and Neil Young (who seemingly uses his mainly to throw his guitars way out of tune) have a real, positive need for a Bigsby. Yeah, I dislike them big time. They're about as attractive as gluing a pair of Vise-Grips on your guitar.
Hey, I bet a pair of Vice Grips with the screw removed from the grip could be operated as a B-bender with a cable. Just need a big bolt on the body to hold it. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: MSB

Liquid State

Reaction score
I think they look great on an LP. I had one on my Junior Special and loved it. Problem is this LP is it already very heavy (one of the few I wont hang on a wall) and the bigsby made it that much heavier. That extra pound or so was just that much too much and took it off after a while.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Love bigsbys. Not so much for their appearance but their functionality. A well set up guitar with a bigsby used properly is as good as any other at staying in tune, in my experience. The look is very oldskool, which I also like.

manchild

Reaction score
Tuning stability no different than any other guitar I have, biggest issue for people seems to be looks more so than functionality. Supposedly makes strings a little slinkier like wrapping around the tailpiece, but idk, its marginal difference at best to me.

BornToLooze

Reaction score
I think it depends on the guitar.

I've some Les Pauls that look great with them, and some where it ruins the guitar.

Function wise, I prefer Bigsbys as far as whammy bars go. Give me a Strat with a bar or a Floyd Rose and I'll get stupid with it, just like I do with a wah wah, but when I had a Gretsch I was trying to sell for my dad, I never seemed to use the Bigsby for anything more than adding some vibrato to chords instead of actually doing vibrato on the chords.

That being said, a beat up gold top with P90s and a Bigsby is on my short list.

ARandall

Reaction score
I am often amused by some people's confusion that the vehemence in the airing of their opinion is a antidote to irrelevancy.

vibroluxe

Reaction score
I have them on a few guitars - an ES-355 and my gold top. I like the look on both but from some of the comments, it’s certainly an acquired taste. Gives you the ability to add a subtle shimmer to your chords. Adding a Reverend soft spring made it a lot easier to use as well
83D1EBB8-4173-4283-B9FA-E2B1078D78A4.jpeg
83FDB8E0-5DC6-4020-B972-8629FBFA0030.jpeg

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I don't like them personally. I sold a very nice Gretsch because of the Bigsby. May be for some, but not me...

dspelman

Reaction score
I personally don't have any inherent problem with them. I actually like how they look ES style guitars but, I think they look kinda cluttered on a Les Paul. Tell me what you think!
I own a whole lot of LPs, none of which have Bigsby trems. No interest.

That's the good news. I have a bunch of them that have Floyds. <*ducks, runs*>

Reaction score
I love the way my Les Paul looks and sounds with a Bigsby. I'll always have one.

Latest Threads