Bigsby: Do i really need a roller bridge?

glorioso

Reaction score
I just got mine back and added a B7 and V7 and tonepro roller bridge recommended by my luthier. She's a traditional pro with locking tuners and Pearly Gates. I have read many posts on many forums. So funny how we all have different experiences. I have to say...I noticed increase sustain without a doubt. Now, it could be the pickups (installed at the same time), the mass, or whatever but I love it.

I went in expecting this to be an experiment and assumed I'd be disappointed because I'm picky, but I love it.

Tonemeister

Reaction score
I just got mine back and added a B7 and V7 and tonepro roller bridge recommended by my luthier. She's a traditional pro with locking tuners and Pearly Gates. I have read many posts on many forums. So funny how we all have different experiences. I have to say...I noticed increase sustain without a doubt. Now, it could be the pickups (installed at the same time), the mass, or whatever but I love it.

I went in expecting this to be an experiment and assumed I'd be disappointed because I'm picky, but I love it.
Holy. Necropost Batman. I forgive you because that plain top with Bigsby is hot.

chrisjnyc

Reaction score
Never had a problem with the standard Gibson bridge on my 335... Had the Bigsby on it for about 8 years

telemesa

Reaction score
Please don't let me be a joy killer, I've had poor experiences with these types that move the string back an forth across the saddle. Roller bridge, not great for sustain, ...standard saddle, tuning issues. You can work at it and dial it in, at least for a season but in the end, when I need to use a tail piece I'll switch to a strat/prs type. This way the whole bridge moves, not the string sliding across the saddle. Saddles also wear down quicker.
Just something to think about.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my bigsby b7 and vibramate v7 are going to come in next week and im very excited to install it on my les paul. But i am in a dilemma. Do i absolutely need a roller bridge of some sort to increase tuning stability, or the difference is not drastic compared to a tune o matic, which is on my lp now. Im not a heavy handed bigsby user, very subtle pitch change (1-2 semitone). Any advice is appreciated!
I am sure this issue is solved,but I must chip in that after using a B5 and Vibramate with my 61 SG LP for years with the standard abr and only being to use the Trem very subtly, I did sink in a ABM Rollerbridge which fits without any problem, and low and behold, the whole thing stays in tune much better and the tremolo action is very similar to my Gretsches. Also the Unit seems to return to its original pitch easier. Just keep the nut lubed(I recommend Dr Ducks Ax Wax) and you will be the King of Americana..

Reaction score
I am sure this issue is solved,but I must chip in that after using a B5 and Vibramate with my 61 SG LP for years with the standard abr and only being to use the Trem very subtly, I did sink in a ABM Rollerbridge which fits without any problem, and low and behold, the whole thing stays in tune much better and the tremolo action is very similar to my Gretsches. Also the Unit seems to return to its original pitch easier. Just keep the nut lubed(I recommend Dr Ducks Ax Wax) and you will be the King of Americana..
Lo

LPaddicted

Reaction score
sany-excavators-800-2.jpg

1allspub

Reaction score
Get a BricksBiggsFix:

Goes a long way toward adding tuning stability to a Bigsby’d guitar (BTW, it’s a misconception/myth that locking tuners improve tuning stability, they don’t. They are only for making string changes quicker and easier.)

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
Get a BricksBiggsFix:

Goes a long way toward adding tuning stability to a Bigsby’d guitar (BTW, it’s a misconception/myth that locking tuners improve tuning stability, they don’t. They are only for making string changes quicker and easier.)

if you're going to do that, why even start with a Bigs with a tension bar? Just go B3/6

1allspub

Reaction score
if you're going to do that, why even start with a Bigs with a tension bar? Just go B3/6
Because the B3 is really made for flat top guitars like SGs or Teles (ie, not archtops like an LP). And, IIRC, Vibramate doesn’t make an adapter for the B3 to fit an LP (unless things have changed).

Of course, the OP could always try just skipping the Vibramate and drilling the top to try to fit the B3. But I kinda doubt he wants to do that (and from what I’ve read (not personal experience) the B3 just doesn’t fit an LP well... B7 and B5 are the Bigsbys for LPs).

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
Because the B3 is really made for flat top guitars like SGs or Teles (ie, not archtops like an LP). And, IIRC, Vibramate doesn’t make an adapter for the B3 to fit an LP (unless things have changed).

Of course, the OP could always try just skipping the Vibramate and drilling the top to try to fit the B3. But I kinda doubt he wants to do that (and from what I’ve read (not personal experience) the B3 just doesn’t fit an LP well... B7 and B5 are the Bigsbys for LPs).

you don't have to drill a LP for a B3 or B6 (or anything for that matter). You're right they aren't designed for arch tops, but with the link you posted, Hell, you might as well with the break angle that thing creates. Bigsbys w/o rollers are much smoother, imo. The downside to not using a vibramate on a LP is the exposed TP stud holes.

band aid trems all you want, but a roller bridge won't hurt, but its only a solution to a problem that should already be taken care of. Cue the guy with the roller nut a week or so ago... smh

TradPro2

Reaction score
Well I installed a Bigsby B7, Vibramate V7 and String Saver on my Les Paul about a month ago.
I did not notice any loss of "sustain", none.
I also have not had any tuning issues at all, but that is probably because four years ago I installed
both a roller nut and a roller bridge both because it just made common sense to me that the strings
should have no opportunity to stick anywhere, nut or bridge. Absolutely perfect and stable tuning.
NUT.jpg
BRIDGE.jpg

1allspub

Reaction score
you don't have to drill a LP for a B3 or B6 (or anything for that matter). You're right they aren't designed for arch tops, but with the link you posted, Hell, you might as well with the break angle that thing creates. Bigsbys w/o rollers are much smoother, imo. The downside to not using a vibramate on a LP is the exposed TP stud holes.

band aid trems all you want, but a roller bridge won't hurt, but its only a solution to a problem that should already be taken care of. Cue the guy with the roller nut a week or so ago... smh

This looks like a fine break angle to me.
BriggsFix Break Angle 01.JPG

I'm guessing you've never played a guitar with one of these... they actually work very well. I have one on my Epi Johnny A Custom, which had very bad tuning stability before (and a very steep break angle which resulted in the High-E touching the back of the bridge... which this helped alleviate).

Last edited:

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
This looks like a fine break angle to me.
View attachment 399327

I'm guessing you've never played a guitar with one of these... they actually work very well. I have one on my Epi Johnny A Custom, which had very bad tuning stability before (and a very steep break angle which resulted in the High-E touching the back of the bridge... which this helped alleviate).
If it works for you, great. But to me, if a Bigsby with a tension bar was a problem, just put one on that doesn’t have one. I’ll still take my les trem any day over that thing

Macronaut

Reaction score

I would hope that after eight years, the OP has got it sorted out. :cool:

Latest Threads