Bigsby-B-Gone

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking for ballpark here.

I'm looking at a nice Paul but it has a Bigsby.

About what could I expect to pay to remove Bigsby, install a stop bar, fill in the holes and put on a dab of paint?

ARandall

Reaction score
I'll give a note of caution.......

It will be more than its 'worth'.

The nature of the guitar is that if you have tried it and it sounds good/wonderful/incredible, you don't know what will happen to that aspect when it has the mass and structure of the t/p changed so radically.
Also unless its an old/well aged finish then you have not only the fixed screw holes in the top which will look odd even after the repair...you'll also have screw hole fixes in the end if its a B7. The tailpiece bushings immediate surround will also need some touchup after install.

So my view is that unless there is some personal significance to the guitar, its as easy to find something that doesn't have the Bigsby....or simply move the bar to the rearward position and play it like it doesn't have the trem.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guitar is a '54 Custom Black Beauty reissue. That model guitar itself isn't so rare except this particular one has a wonderfully fat neck profile, so in that sense it may be worth the added cost to have the work done.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
You could replace the spring with a stack of washers then it is just a stop tailpiece.

54RI generally do have a fat profile though.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ ^ ^ ^

Oh yes my friend.

The closer to 1" the better. If I can find a '54 Goldtop RI with a ~ 1" neck, I have some juicy plans.

jeff.longino

Reaction score
So it sounds like you really want to do this......do you have a drill press or access to one? Just putting in a stop bar is pretty darn easy. I'd suggest you do that yourself and then play it for a year. If you still like it then you can see about dealing with the holes/repaint issues.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like you really want to do this......do you have a drill press or access to one? Just putting in a stop bar is pretty darn easy. I'd suggest you do that yourself and then play it for a year. If you still like it then you can see about dealing with the holes/repaint issues.
My putting tools and a guitar in the same room is a recipe for disaster.

I really like your suggestion to not worry about the holes, I'm not horribly worried about cosmetics because I'd like to think I wouldn't be selling it.

But to drill the holes for the stop bar? No way. I'd ruin a beautiful guitar.

jeff.longino

Reaction score
With a drill press it really isn’t a hard job. You got a remember that the tailpiece placements very critical for Intonation , but the stop bar doesn’t have to be real precise.

But regardless of how you get that stop bar installed that should not be an expensive adventure. If you ever decide to deal with the holes in the finish and repaint that’s where you’re probably going to get into a little money

NotScott

Reaction score
^ ^ ^ ^

Oh yes my friend.

The closer to 1" the better. If I can find a '54 Goldtop RI with a ~ 1" neck, I have some juicy plans.
You may want to look for an R5. It has the depth of an R4 but with more slender shoulders. I have a JB R4 and an R5 and the R5 is more comfortable to play. It is my favorite Gibson neck profile.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may want to look for an R5. It has the depth of an R4 but with more slender shoulders. I have a JB R4 and an R5 and the R5 is more comfortable to play. It is my favorite Gibson neck profile.

I have that very same chart saved in my computer.

I understand there were two runs of R5s, the older run had the '55 profile and the newer run had the conventional D profile. The R5s, both the Custom BB and the Goldtop are like hens teeth, and to find one with a neck that is fat enough for my hand makes the task even more challenging.

NotScott

Reaction score
I have that very same chart saved in my computer.

I understand there were two runs of R5s, the older run had the '55 profile and the newer run had the conventional D profile. The R5s, both the Custom BB and the Goldtop are like hens teeth, and to find one with a neck that is fat enough for my hand makes the task even more challenging.
I wasn't aware there were two different R5 profiles. I bought mine late in the run and it matches that pic I posted when compared to my JB. That neck profile is the primary reason for buying an R5.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware there were two different R5 profiles. I bought mine late in the run and it matches that pic I posted when compared to my JB. That neck profile is the primary reason for buying an R5.
IIRC I was PM'ing member Fugazi20 about them and it might have been he who told me that.

And yes, yes, yes, that neck profile is so very desirable.

Latest Threads