Bigsby and tuning stability?????

Iceman0124

Reaction score
Why you thinking of ditching the vibramate Iceman? btw' one cool looking geet! :applause:

Well the primary draw of the vibramate is easy install and no scars when removed which is great, especially if your thinking you'll probably sell at some point and or plan to rotate the VM mounted bigs on various guitars.

My 50's tribute is a long term keeper for me now I'm pretty sure, I would only let her go out of dire need, not to springboard to another guitar, and the B7 is there to stay....so it kinda makes sense to me to do the hard mod, the VM kit is nice, but it is a little unsightly, makes the unit ride a little differently than its supposed to, and there will likely be a slight but probably noticeable change in tone with mounted direct, with the kit the tail piece is basically sitting on short stilts over the guitar, instead of directly on....Primary reason would be looks, secondary would be feel, after playing my other bigsby guitars the vibramted one with its high ride just feels a tad off

heres what I mean about how it rides with the vibramate

you can also see how much of the tail would have contact with the body with a traditional direct mount, that will have some impact on tone with the TP on the body instead of over, not to mention the break angle will get a bit steeper.

River

Reaction score
you can also see how much of the tail would have contact with the body with a traditional direct mount, that will have some impact on tone with the TP on the body instead of over, not to mention the break angle will get a bit steeper.
I'm with you on all counts. Have you ever considered planing the mount? :hmm:

I don't understand why it's as thick as it is. But there's some very subtle difference in the top shape of my '92 and R8 that causes the extra height to be much less bothersome on the '92. I really can't imagine what that is.

pony65k

Reaction score
Hot damn, Ice. That's nice.

This is actually my favorite photo of the Bigsby'd '92:

Man, that is one stunning guitar!!!! I don't think I've seen one with that type of grain...WOW :wow:

Iceman0124

Reaction score
I'm with you on all counts. Have you ever considered planing the mount? :hmm:

I don't understand why it's as thick as it is. But there's some very subtle difference in the top shape of my '92 and R8 that causes the extra height to be much less bothersome on the '92. I really can't imagine what that is.
I thought about that when I first got it, only off the top of my head resoning for it being so thick is thread count for the anchor screws, which makes sense if it was jsut top mounted, makes less sense when you factor in the tail bracket...as that sould take some of the tension as well issted of just the 2 small screws on the top taking it all.

As for making the mounts thinner...I think it would be easier to just hard mount the B7, also the the tensile strength of cast almuminum isnt that stong till it reaches certain thicknesses I think....its brittle and easily deformed...I dunno, I think its a great product for those wanting to test drive a bigsby on a particular axe, or someone who somwtimes wants it, sometimes not...but if your going to set it and forget it...direct mount seems the way to go IMO.

As for your two different guitars, is the top carve deeper in one than the other?

SessionGuy

Reaction score

Latest Threads