Biggest necks found on 70 - 71 customs?

Bulletboy5150

Reaction score
Im in the market for a 70-71 black custom and am just curious what the largest necks tend to be for those years? I am looking for one with a chunky neck and just want to what I can expect to find. For instance if .840 is maybe to biggest they really made I dont wanna pass one up waiting for a .900. I would also like to keep the weight around 10lbs or less. Is this an attainable goal?

And while I am at it is one with a Nashville bridge something to stay away from?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may have to settle on the handful you might find..... I haven’t seen a large number of all original intact 70-71 LPCs on the market.

There are no 70-71 LPCs with Nashville bridges.... if you find one that does,...it’s been modified.

Bulletboy5150

Reaction score
You may have to settle on the handful you might find..... I haven’t seen a large number of all original intact 70-71 LPCs on the market.

There are no 70-71 LPCs with Nashville bridges.... if you find one that does,...it’s been modified.
Thats what mean, one that has been modified with a Nashville bridge. Just curious if that is a red flag or not a major deal?

Last edited:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what mean, one that has been modified. Just curious if that is a red flag or not a major deal?
When modifications starts,...when does it end?

Yes it’s a red flag..... deeper investigation is needed. Obviously you need to check pot codes to verify the date of the guitar.... hard to prove a year by the serial number alone.

Mods usually are more involved than just a bridge.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Many of these had .90 necks, like this early 71 for example...
IMAG1889.jpg

blee57

Reaction score
Im in the market for a 70-71 black custom and am just curious what the largest necks tend to be for those years? I am looking for one with a chunky neck and just want to what I can expect to find. For instance if .840 is maybe to biggest they really made I dont wanna pass one up waiting for a .900. I would also like to keep the weight around 10lbs or less. Is this an attainable goal?

And while I am at it is one with a Nashville bridge something to stay away from?
Hi, I have a few Black LP Customs and am thinking of selling one. From my experience the early seventies Norlin necks are pretty consistent I have a 71, 72, and two 74's. I just saw this post and am at work so I can't attach any files right now. If you want to call me my number is 831-809-1185. I'm not sure what your budget is, These guitars will be in the 8500 to 10K range but are all awesome vintage guitars. One has a bit of play wear the others are in very very good shape, all original parts with the guitars. I changed the waffle back tuners with reissues and installed replacement ABR bridges on the roughest one because I have been playing them, but I have the original parts stored in the original cases and the cases are all in excellent shape. Purple and yellow lined cases. The yellow lined case is in decent shape. They also have their warranty booklets. My name is Bruce and I'm located in Salinas, Ca. Paypal is the way I go, It costs me about 3 percent but it protects the seller and buyer.
You Can email me at [email protected], I'm willing to discuss price. I'm in no hurry either, I have a bunch of Les pauls. I'm also on Facebook Bruce Pittenger, Salinas Ca. These guitars are the most awesome sounding guitars in my collection. I also have a couple of 54 custom RI's and may sell one of those too.

Bulletboy5150

Reaction score
Hi, I have a few Black LP Customs and am thinking of selling one. From my experience the early seventies Norlin necks are pretty consistent I have a 71, 72, and two 74's. I just saw this post and am at work so I can't attach any files right now. If you want to call me my number is 831-809-1185. I'm not sure what your budget is, These guitars will be in the 8500 to 10K range but are all awesome vintage guitars. One has a bit of play wear the others are in very very good shape, all original parts with the guitars. I changed the waffle back tuners with reissues and installed replacement ABR bridges on the roughest one because I have been playing them, but I have the original parts stored in the original cases and the cases are all in excellent shape. Purple and yellow lined cases. The yellow lined case is in decent shape. They also have their warranty booklets. My name is Bruce and I'm located in Salinas, Ca. Paypal is the way I go, It costs me about 3 percent but it protects the seller and buyer.
You Can email me at [email protected], I'm willing to discuss price. I'm in no hurry either, I have a bunch of Les pauls. I'm also on Facebook Bruce Pittenger, Salinas Ca. These guitars are the most awesome sounding guitars in my collection. I also have a couple of 54 custom RI's and may sell one of those too.
Appreciate you reaching out! I sent you an email.

Latest Threads