Big vs Huge?

JMB1984

Reaction score
I agree with .900 at the first fret being the sweet spot. Though I can see why some with smaller hands may not like it. Also shoulders/neck shape really matter in a conversation on whether or not a neck feels slim, chunky or huge. A U-neck can feel huge in comparison to a Gibson C, even if both measure .900 at the first fret.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the entire side view of neck, only the backside. I sold the guitar a few years ago.

Pictured below is my current No.1.
2017 '58 Reissue LP Junior DC.
1.00" thick at the 12th fret.
Also beefy at the 1st fret with lots of shoulder.

My first gibby was a SG Special('69 model) and that had a fatter neck but not as robust as your '70 Junior, most probably about the same as your DC. Played a '52 GT many moons ago that equated to the '70.......baseball bat for sure.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
My first gibby was a SG Special('69 model) and that had a fatter neck but not as robust as your '70 Junior, most probably about the same as your DC. Played a '52 GT many moons ago that equated to the '70.......baseball bat for sure.
My first Gibson was also a 1969 SG Special.
Those baseball bat necks are my favorite ones to play.

goldtop0

Reaction score
My first Gibson was also a 1969 SG Special.
Those baseball bat necks are my favorite ones to play.
Yes there's a feeling of certainty with a fat neck. :laugh2: .......and I kind of look at it this way, that you can always shave it down if you need/want to. Got a fat necked 335 M2M in the pipeline.......1" or so at the 1st with straight(big)shoulders.......looking forward to it arriving in about 3-4 months.

zamdrang

Reaction score
It goes from one to the other when your hand tells you so.

Latest Threads