Big frets for big squeals?

sandmannn69

Reaction score
I just added a new LP to my setup, a Classic Antique (mahogany cap instead of maple). I also have an 87 Custom and a 91 Studio Lite. One thing I noticed right away about the new Classic is that it is so easy to make it squeal (pinch harmonics like Wylde, Sykes, etc). I find this kinda odd cause my other 2 LPs have ebony boards which are definitely brighter sounding than the rosewood on the Classic, yet don't squeal hardly at all when wiggling a low E string.

Was wondering if the bigger frets on the Classic were the reason?? Frets on the studio are pretty worn down, and the Custom is a "fretless wonder", so they were low to begin with. Can't be the pups cause the Classic has '57s in it which are not high output.

Hopefully, this squealing isn't addictive, or I'll start sounding like BLS pretty soon.

asattwanger

Reaction score
I think it's just you. Back when I played a G&L Asat for all things punk/metal and it pinched as good as any other guitar and had low frets. Even your fretless wonder might be bothering you, but pinch harmonics happen all over the place on fretlss basses in the hands of the right player.

sandmannn69

Reaction score
I think it's just you. Back when I played a G&L Asat for all things punk/metal and it pinched as good as any other guitar and had low frets. Even your fretless wonder might be bothering you, but pinch harmonics happen all over the place on fretlss basses in the hands of the right player.

That could be. I think Lampens had a good point on another thread-pointed to the vid on youtube where Zakk Wylde said action has a lot to do with it: YouTube - Zakk Wylde - Epiphone Guitars at 4:45

I have low action on the Custom and Studio, whereas the Classic is higher. Thanks for the feedback, pinches on a fretless bass would sound pretty cool!

Latest Threads