Bias Resistors?

kam4ff

Reaction score
I want to put some in my two Marshall's (jcm 800 and silver jubilee) so I can bias them up myself. Will a 2 watt 1k be alright? Does what it's made out of matter?

Also is there any good article or place to read up on how to calculate the bias correctly?

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I assume that you want to add current sense resistors so that you can measure the bias and then adjust the trim pot accordingly. If so, here's what I'd recommend: 1 ohm high precision metal film or wire wound resistors from pin 8 to ground for each EL34. Set your VOM to measure millivolts, and measure the voltage across each of these cathode resistors. Following ohm's law, current = voltage divided by resistance. Since your resistor would be 1 ohm, your bias current would equal the measured voltage (e.g., 35 millivolts / 1 = 35 milliamps).

There is likely free info online; check the valve wizard site. Personally, I'd get a good book or several. The valve wizard (Merlin Blencowe) doesn't have a book on the power amp, so I'll steer you to Kevin O'Connor's TUT Volume 2 book. Come to think of it, get his external bias kit from the london power site:
BMK2 - Bias Mod Kit

It's not super cheap, but it comes with some installation notes (although KOC expects DIYers to have enough background to follow the instructions; if you don't have that background, read TUT2 or equivalent).

The kit would give you parts for external bias jacks along with bias pots for each tube.

kam4ff

Reaction score
I know about the voltage inside an amp and how deadly it can be. Dont worry. Ill be careful.

Latest Threads