Bestest Case :: what's your fave non-Gibson case?

cherrick

Reaction score
What case do you want if your beloved Les Paul is going on a road or plane trip?
Protection counts most, cosmetics less, but please chime in.
What did/would you buy and for how much and from whom?

Roxy13

Reaction score
If I were taking a plane trip I think I would want an actual flight case.

For what I do I like the Eden LP cases for aftermarket. I'm not gigging though and so they aren't seeing any heavy abuse, but these cases fit perfectly and have dual neck rests.

I have the brown one and copper one. I will tell you the copper one is like super metallic! In bright light it looks gold. However, it really stands out from my other cases and I never have to look for the guitar that is in it :rofl:

cherrick

Reaction score
Very cool. If I Had a bottomless wallet, I would go Calton. For flight cases, I see SKB and Gator. Gator seems to cost more. The SKB 3i doesn't "advertise" TSA but says its latches are TSA-approved.

JMP

Reaction score
I had an SKB and I though it was excellent and a great value. I cannot vouch for how it’d do with air travel.

cherrick

Reaction score
Are these available? There is one on Reverb for $300 !! :-|
1596466062930.png

PauloQS

Reaction score
I’ve used SKB in flights and the guitars arrived in perfect condition. Nice to have a TSA approved lock too.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I'll second the SKB when traveling. They have always worked well for me and I've never had a guitar damaged in one...

bum

Reaction score
I got a Gator case, cheap as hell and solid as I need.
I gig a lot and it's never let me down, gets chuck around a fair bit too.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hands down the best travel case for an LP: SKB 3i-4214-56

Waterproof, wheels on one end, ATA TSA locks, very durable. I leave my LP cases at home and the gigging guitar goes in this. Big cavity to store all your stuff too. My backup rigs (either Fly Rig 5 v2 or Amplifire Box) fit right along with strings, Snark, strap, cloth, etc.

Last edited:

cherrick

Reaction score
Hands down the best travel case for an LP: SKB 3i-4214-56

Waterproof, wheels on one hand, ATA TSA locks, very durable. I leave my LP cases at home and the gigging guitar goes in this. Big cavity to store all your stuff too. My backup rigs (either Fly Rig 5 v2 or Amplifire Box) fit right along with strings, Snark, strap, cloth, etc.
Yup.

This is my "leaning toward". Cheaper than the Gator-competition. the 3i is my top contender.

Reactions: JMP

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
My favorite is an $89 Douglas..
perfect fit with a cool cover attached...
Outside is tweed and interior is lush and perfect
and GGGGOOOOOLLLLLDDDDDD!!!!

105DD559-CCE0-4C52-9EB0-AB7344546E2D.jpeg

cherrick

Reaction score
It looks like Douglas dumped the Tweed on the case :-(

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I buy the generic Yorkville cases made by TKL. I have three of those for LPs, and a classical case that I fitted to my Guild. I was going to buy a standard Gator case for the Jazzmaster, but found a used SKB Jazzmasrer case for $75 US.

My J-29, SG and Explorer all have Gibson cases. I don't gig, so all my cases work well as storage.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
The other side benefit of the SKB 3i is it doesn't look like a guitar--it looks more like it's holding a keyboard or something. And it definitely doesn't say Gibson on the side so it's a much lower profile target for would-be thieves at venues and gigs.

Latest Threads