Best year for 59 reissues over the last ~10+ years??

Great R8

Reaction score
The 2018 Brazilians are the undisputed PEAK! BAR NONE, Its SOOOO OBVIOUS

i love my True Historics but I love my 2018 brazilian‘s even more. I compared my Brazilians to 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007,2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2019 and 2015 2016 THs and the Brazilians are the peak of workmanship.

...but you did not compare a 2006.:laugh2:

Last edited:

Great R8

Reaction score
According to Mark Bishop, the owner of Mark's Guitar Loft in New Hampshire, the 2019 R9's are the most accurate to date. As he told me, the guitar that was scanned to make the 2019 R9 was Joe Bonamasa's. Aprateny, he lent it to the Custom Shop for this purpose.

It's interesting that the 2019 R9's was one of the highest in production. I genuinely wonder why. Good timing, as it happened just before the pandemic.

Last edited:

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 19....its was nice ..anniverary reissue. I didn't like that particular neck carve...so its gone...but its was a nice guitar....

DanD

Reaction score
Agreed, 2015 TH is the peak. The workmanship and time put in is so obvious. I’ve owned and compared 1999, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2018

Bar none, 2015 TH is the most exceptional build quality

Tone and feel...well, that’s like me choosing your next girlfriend
The TH are awesome no doubt. I still have my TH8 but the TH CCs are the pinnacle. By a mile.

My repurposed Tamio Akuda CC29 is the best '59 I've played bar none. The attention to detail surpasses the standard TH models.

If you can find a TH CC you'll be in heaven.

DanD

Reaction score
The 2018 Brazilians are the undisputed PEAK! BAR NONE, Its SOOOO OBVIOUS

i love my True Historics but I love my 2018 brazilian‘s even more. I compared my Brazilians to 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007,2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2019 and 2015 2016 THs and the Brazilians are the peak of workmanship. It is so obvious, they have all the TH improvements plus a beautiful hand selected dark brazilain rosewood fretboard. the moment you put your hands on these special limited editions guitars you can just tell that these are the the true flagship of the Gibson line.

The Brazilains are the only Gibson made Les Paul since 1960 that had all of the post 2012 improvements, TH improvements plus the correct species of wood: Swietenia macrophylla, Dalbergia nigra, and Acer saccharum.

They also have neck carves which more closely resemble actual Bursts, unlike the TH and pre 2018 historics (with the exception of the CC models) The workmanship and time put in to these limited edition Brazilian flagship models it’s soooooo obvious.

One important note, I actually have the Les Pauls we are speaking about including the ones pictured from left to right: 2015 TH59, 2018 Brazilan R9, 2016 TH 59 CC edition, 2018 Brazilan R9, 2019 Wildwood 60th anniversary.

So take it from someone who actually owns the guitars he is speaking about instead of sour grapes self serving fakers who haven’t a clue of what they are talking about.

Did i mention the workmanship and time put in to these limited edition Brazilian flagship models it’s soooooo soooo sooooo obvious. Bar none, it is Sooo soooo much more obvious than those other historics and true historics, Lmfao

UhD8Ka.jpg

Nice group shot!

But I have to disagree on the Braz. Mine is an early release '17 model. The attention to detail on my CC 29 far surpasses the the Braz '17. My Braz was custom spec'd with Throbaks and Russian military grade PIO caps.

Head to head they are both great guitars. But the feel of CC29 is better by a long shot.

The modded '57 classics and mylar bees don't hold CC29 back one bit. Most didn't get on with the smaller frets on this CC but they feel perfect to me. I also like the smaller wire on my TH8.

To each their own!

Cheers!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
of the reissue's I have had, my 2013 R9 was pretty damn good for everything, the wood looked and felt 'right' somehow. Lacquer looked better than 2020 onwards non lab lacquer.

T Willis

Reaction score
Yea she had a neck repair and a pretty cherry burst top with a small amount of flame. She was a awe full guitar though, did’t resonate at all sounded like a dead piece of wood. I have been lucky enough to have played 58’s and 59’s and some were very good but some not so good. I really have not played a bad reissue some just sound better than others but never a bad one.
Great point. Come to think of it, I don’t recall a bad one in my short journey thus far. However, the consensus seems to be 2013 onward.

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice group shot!

But I have to disagree on the Braz. Mine is an early release '17 model. The attention to detail on my CC 29 far surpasses the the Braz '17. My Braz was custom spec'd with Throbaks and Russian military grade PIO caps.

Head to head they are both great guitars. But the feel of CC29 is better by a long shot.

The modded '57 classics and mylar bees don't hold CC29 back one bit. Most didn't get on with the smaller frets on this CC but they feel perfect to me. I also like the smaller wire on my TH8.

To each their own!

Cheers!

Hi Dan, I guess given some of the hyperbole on this forum my facetiousness was not readily apparent. I was replying to those who swear this model, or that year is special. everyone wants to be special. lol.

Frankly I think all post 2012 Historics share similar qualities and at that level it’s really up to the individual guitar

DanD

Reaction score
You’re correct!

My experience with 13 and up models has been very positive.

Really, my experience with Historics has been positive save for two GTs, 04 and 05, that had rising tongues.

My 2000 JR is an awesome specimen.

I just feel the love, that last 1% of effort, on the CCs I’ve had.

None of this holds me back from the others it’s just the little extra attention to detail that I can notice.

Many don’t notice and it’s a moot point!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You’re correct!

My experience with 13 and up models has been very positive.

Really, my experience with Historics has been positive save for two GTs, 04 and 05, that had rising tongues.

My 2000 JR is an awesome specimen.

I just feel the love, that last 1% of effort, on the CCs I’ve had.

None of this holds me back from the others it’s just the little extra attention to detail that I can notice.

Many don’t notice and it’s a moot point!
Rising Tongues would be a solid band name.

Haprom

Miserable Bastard
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Les Paul's are where You find Them... What Year it was produced don't Mean Shit...

Coin Gracie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,.....new here.
I have a 2021 Customshop/Murphy labs lightly aged 59 reissue. I'm not a great player, but have the privilege of knowing a few. Just a couple days ago, a friend of mine who used to play for Blackfoot played it at a show. He used a small Fender Princeton amp and it just sounded amazing.

Latest Threads