Best year for 59 reissues over the last ~10+ years??

solidar

Reaction score
Looking for advice on what generally has been considered best year(s) for 59 reissue quality. I am not very familiar with the ups and downs of Gibson’s manufacturing woes but understand those certainly have occurred in the last 10+ years. Apologies if my question is too basic for seasoned Gibson folks but I’d like to narrow my search for a 59 reissue (if in fact, the comments I’ve heard about inconsistencies is true). Thank you.

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
Within the last 10 years they changed the spec back in 2013 to include hide glue in the neck joint and the change to custom bucker pickups and something to do with aniline dye, although they had been using that prior as well. I don't have definitive proof, but I think they started making the necks on '56-'59 models more consistently the same across that line and more modeled on the '59 profile, meaning the '56-'58 necks went on a bit of a diet and slimmed up a bit. Then things got weird in 2015 with True Historic and all these one-off runs done by places like Guitar Center and those non-Historic Historics with the short neck tenon and other compromises. They got things back fairly normalized in 2017 and changed the frets on all but the '59 and '60 models to those narrow tall frets. I still haven't confirmed for certain with anyone if they continued using hide glue for the maple tops. The story on the plastics is a big fat MEH in my opinion—means nothing since I don't think they have any effect on tone.

I've played a great number of '59s and others and I generally do feel the sound took an uptick in 2013, but others will disagree and say the older ones were better, or that each individual guitar is either good, better or best and year doesn't matter. I think everyone is right, it's more about your perspective and your ears than anything else.

calieng

Reaction score
Without question the first run of True Historic in 2015. That is not to say they were the most accurate compared to some additional small improvements over the last couple years but the actual workmanship has not been matched since.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Agreed, 2015 TH is the peak. The workmanship and time put in is so obvious. I’ve owned and compared 1999, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2018

Bar none, 2015 TH is the most exceptional build quality

Tone and feel...well, that’s like me choosing your next girlfriend

Leotis

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Vic DaPra commissioned R9 that was part of his "Shadows of '59" series limited to 25 pieces. That guitar is the absolute best, bar none, of not just any R9 but any guitar I've ever played before or since...for me, anyway. it was one of those that the first time I picked it up I went "this is the one."

Thomas/Sweden

Reaction score
Such fantastic sustain in the laminated fretboard of my 2019 R9 Lemon.

519tbarr

Reaction score
The 2015 True Historics were a thing of beauty. I saw one 1958 reissue LP in my local L&M that I really wished I had bought. It was stunning. Quality of the tops - just a very special limited series of custom shop reissues.
I am also a fan of anything post 2017 that the custom shop has made. Including all the TH plastics etc.

Without question the first run of True Historic in 2015. That is not to say they were the most accurate compared to some additional small improvements over the last couple years but the actual workmanship has not been matched since.

swampblues

Reaction score
I really like my 2016 but I also like everyone I ever owned except a true 1960 it was one dead piece of wood Every reissue I ever played or owned was better

goldtop0

Reaction score
Any of the Historic LPs from 2013 onwards...........try 'em all if you can.........and enjoy the ride.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I really like my 2016 but I also like everyone I ever owned except a true 1960 it was one dead piece of wood Every reissue I ever played or owned was better
I bet that 1960 was pretty though:).

swampblues

Reaction score
I bet that 1960 was pretty though:).
Yea she had a neck repair and a pretty cherry burst top with a small amount of flame. She was a awe full guitar though, did’t resonate at all sounded like a dead piece of wood. I have been lucky enough to have played 58’s and 59’s and some were very good but some not so good. I really have not played a bad reissue some just sound better than others but never a bad one.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Im going to sound snobby

My selection process is superior...I have the BEST historics from my modest sampling...(see my you tube page and my web page) I didn't record video of each one, but each one was played to exacting tonal expectations. If it didn't pass my perfect ears and ultra sensitive hands ….then it was outa here....Many were rejected because they looked at me wrong....I nearly broke a headstock clean off ...because it sneered at my wife....they do get jealous....

Some had their pickups were ripped out in vain attempts to alter their characteristics with newer boutique pickups. Countless electronic testing and gadgetry was exposed to their vibrations ...only to find variances that were miniscule and but widely variable....
…..

:facepalm::run:

paco1976

Reaction score
Good years and bad years is an invention to make you buy again next year. Buy it and play it, man. If the guitar is good to you then it's good.

Latest Threads