Best Way to Template Route Small Parts (e.g. Cavity Covers)?

bierz

Reaction score
I want to make some pickguards and control cavity covers using mdf templates. Unfortunately I don't have a router table, though I do have several routers.

I imagine there's a clever method to hold small parts in a safe way when using a top bearing flush trim bit, but like most things in woodworking, I bet someone more creative than me has designed it and shared it online. I'm picturing mdf and carpet tape or toggle clamps - maybe a few strips of mdf the same thickness as the template to border the piece, to prevent the router from tipping?

No toggle clamps in my crude drawing, but like I said, I'd love to see anything you guys have used when routing cavity covers and the like.
1603136224363.png

I appreciate the help and continue to slowly progress on my lp dc jr builds.

christopherJ

Reaction score
Template top and bottom and sandwich the material in-between. I'd use screws to hold it all down. Then just trim flush to the templates.

jkes01

Reaction score
I would build a simple router table with your router bolted up from the bottom.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a super cheap junky “router table” that sits unused under my workbench because I prefer a piece of MDF with a hole drilled in it and a router screwed to the underside of it. That and a couple of 2 x 4 sawhorses is all it takes to have a router table. I’ve used this setup to make plenty of pickguards and backplates. As far as how? It’s simple: you rough bandsaw the plate material, stick it to a template, raise the bit in such a way that the blades just clear the plastic, and route holding your template with your fingers. I don’t feel this is the least bit unsafe. My templates are 3/4” thick and the bit is sticking up 1/4” out of the table so my fingers are not gonna contact the bit, but the blade of the bit is only maybe 1/8” above the table so if I did something stupid and touched the bearing I still wouldn’t get cut. I don’t see the need for some elaborate jig

ARandall

Reaction score
I would build a simple router table with your router bolted up from the bottom.
Yep, or a simple elevated platform for the router to bolt onto and a hole in it for the bit to poke through.

lowatter

Reaction score
I made a simple router table box many years ago with a removable top with a foam seal on the underside and it has a hole on the bottom of the box to hook up a shopvac hose to pull dust. It has a simple adjustable fence to do things like route trussrod slots etc. Melamine is a good choice for the top and fence.

If you chose to make one I would incorporate a way of switching the router on/off with a single pole switch in a junction box with a cord and plug end.

15383456341_7950841c3c_b.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads