best way to take off speed knobs.

Ides of March

Reaction score
I want to put the amber top hats on my trad instead of the speed knobs. But I am nervous I will chip the paint taking them off somehow. Does anyone know a safe way to take off the speed knobs, and for that matter placing the top hats on?

stevedave

Reaction score
Put a t-shirt underneath the knob and wrap it around a bit and just pull her on up, easiest way I've found to do it.

knobremoval.jpg

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Put a t-shirt underneath the knob and wrap it around a bit and just pull her on up, easiest way I've found to do it.

+1.... you can also pad a butter knife with a tshirt or the likes and pry, but be very very very careful, just a teeny weeny bit of pressure, then move to the next spot, and so on and so on until youve gone all the way around and it comes loose

nitrous12

Reaction score
Same concept as the shirt, but use a shoelace.
Just another option

Ides of March

Reaction score
T shirt. I never thought of that one. Thanks alot everyone!! Appreciated.

ehamady6

Reaction score
There's a wide variety of good and safe ways of pulling off knobs. Patience and taking your time is very important. To offer another alternative, here's the method I chose:

The original speed knobs on my Custom were on VERY tight. It took me a long time to wiggle the first one off with a cloth and it was a little hard on the knob's plastic threads, so I decided to make a knob-puller out of scrap -- a small piece of PVC tubing, wingnut, screw, and small pieces of aluminum laying around in my little workshop -- based on the cool design of the Stewart-MacDonald puller in the pic below (Knob and Bushing Puller at Stewart-MacDonald). It pulls the knobs straight up with equal pressure and is effortless -- just turn the wingnut and the knob is lifted nice and easy. It protects the guitar, knobs, and pot shafts. I''ve change knobs 3 times before finding "THE knobs", and I'm glad I made that little tool for $0. If I went out and bought the pieces it would cost less than $10. I figured why take chances with my #1.

Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.jpg

Zoshquin

Reaction score
I use my hand when I remove my knobs..

InnerRage

Reaction score
What works for me is:
I put a computer mousepad on the body up against the knob. I then use a sturdytablespoon under the knob & GENTLY pry up around the knob. I've never had a problem.

Silverbursted

Reaction score
There's a wide variety of good and safe ways of pulling off knobs. Patience and taking your time is very important. To offer another alternative, here's the method I chose:

Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.jpg

I like that. Simple, efficient and safe. Thanks for sharing your method. :thumb:

Reaction score
pull them off with your fingers, you have calusses right??

Marc

Reaction score
I want to put the amber top hats on my trad instead of the speed knobs. But I am nervous I will chip the paint taking them off somehow. Does anyone know a safe way to take off the speed knobs, and for that matter placing the top hats on?

I used the t-shirt method on mine and it worked fine. A word of warning, you may find that the top hats sit really high on the Traditional. Mine did. I though it looked stupid like that and just put the speed knobs back on.

marshallmellow

Reaction score
A word of warning, you may find that the top hats sit really high on the Traditional. Mine did. I though it looked stupid like that and just put the speed knobs back on.

I just put on a set of Gibson top hats and they sit way too high too!

I've put the speed knobs back on for now but hope to find a set of top hats that sit lower.

Luckyhands

Reaction score
Ok this may sound a bit weird but this is how I did it on my strat.

Get some dental floss (thick thread should do it) and make a long U shape, running the two straight lines of the U shape under the knob (holding in one hand the two loose ends and in the other the apex of the U) then you can easily lift up away from the body - as it's only floss or thread theren't no chance you'll scratch the finish. It's similar to how emahady's tool works - it pulls the knob by only applying force along the long axis of the knob :)

(I only used dental floss as I had no thread available!)

ehamady6

Reaction score
I just put on a set of Gibson top hats and they sit way too high too!

I've put the speed knobs back on for now but hope to find a set of top hats that sit lower.

You lower the knobs by raising the height adjustment nut on each pot shaft.
It's the nut directly against the underside of each shaft hole. I adjusted mine when I intalled my indicator pointers:

1. First remove the knobs, nut and washer from the top.
2. Access the height adjustment nut from the back in the control cavity.
3. Turn the nut up to lower the shaft, then put the washer, nut and knob back on the top.

Viola, lowered knobs.

Latest Threads