Best way to remove/cover strap buttons?

Spambot

Reaction score
I know this is going to sound stupid, but is there a good way to remove strap buttons and cover the holes on Gibson LPs? I have a bad back so I only play sitting (i.e. I don’t even own a strap) so these buttons are just inconvenient and make me nervous about ripping a hole in furniture. Obviously removing them is easy, but should I just add a washer and drive the provided screw in all the way? Wasn’t sure how deep the predrill goes by default.

endial

Reaction score
The hole is not drilled deep enough to do that, so you probably shouldn't. A washer, let alone the screw head would have even more chance of snagging furniture or carpet. There's not a whole lot of reason to just leave them open or unfilled if you remove them, other than the possibility of losing the screws. Baggie the parts (put them in your case/gig bag) and leave the hole. No harm. Seems to me.

Edit: People remove pickguards all the time and leave the holes open.

ARandall

Reaction score
They are rounded, so there are no sharp edges to snag. Before doing anything just check to see if there is any real risk of doing damage.
I mean I spend most of my time playing seated, and I've never ever snagged anything....not even clothing.

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

For those who say “don’t worry”, maybe he has Posi-Locks.

1619178343287.jpeg

As for removal... just unscrew them. Don’t worry about covering the holes. Put the buttons and screws in a bag, label the bag and store it in the case. Someday someone will care about having “the originals”.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with the originals in a baggie in the case.
Personally, I would look for a more user friendly smaller profile button.
I replace mine with strap lock buttons (which are smaller than most) and have amassed quite a collection, learning they come in all shapes and sizes.

Spambot

Reaction score
Yeah I know I could leave the holes exposed but it’s just not very attractive. I usually just remove them on my Fenders and Taylors and find a suitable screw but I’m more nervous about my Gibsons

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
Me personally would leave it alone but this might work for you. Plastic end caps. You can remove the strap button and screw on the end cap. They come in different colors. 68 cents in Lowes Home Improvement.

3BCAAF91-3BC5-401D-AD81-FD46FA67F1F8.jpeg
61C46993-03A2-4868-B95A-7F2E079B0545.jpeg

Brazilnut

Reaction score
If you do decide to fill the holes, fill them with a peg you first whittle, then sand on a drill, to the proper diameter. Roll a razor blade on the peg to cut to length, and use wood glue to keep them in place. If you ever sell the guitar, though, you'll have to drill them back out to replace the buttons. You can use any pigment [i.e. artists paint, like oil paints or acrylic] to tint the peg ends so they blend in.

Latest Threads