Best Way to Purchase New Les Paul

Mitch Pearrow 58

Reaction score
And my 2018 was 2.200 a year prior in late October, that was the main reason for me to go in and see, if they had what I was after to begin with.
But I had jumped the timing by 2 months.
Mitch

TrackerDan

Reaction score
Thought I'd join the forum and ask some pros for advice.

Bought my (then) 12 yr old his first electric after he started showing interest. It was a Yamaha Pacifica. Nice beginner electric, he's treated it pretty well.

Fast forward 4 years, many lessons and performances later, and it's time to buy him a real guitar. The Yamaha is fine, but he really deserves a nice electric to keep him going.

Bought him an Epiphone dr500mce last Christmas, and he loves it. It's been a great gigging acoustic, so naturally wanted to stick with Gibson.

Took him to guitar center last weekend to play some Les Paul's, told him to find the one he likes the best. Of course, he picked the new Gibson Les Paul 50s T in tobacco burst.

I have to say that it sounded and looked better than both studios he tried, and he said it just felt "right". Asked the salesman about getting a deal, but he wouldn't budge off the $2499 tag price. Talked about low interest financing, blah blah blah. I had a wad of cash in my pocket, but not quite that much, so we left with no guitar.

So after all that, my question is: can you get a deal on a new les Paul, or are you stuck paying "the" price? I've looked online and they're all the same, $2499.
Thanks for any suggestions/ tips.

This is a big purchase for me, and I'm not used to paying retail for stuff.

TrackerDan

Reaction score
Sometimes Guitar Center gets high end equipment, That's to expensive on the front end for the average or even not so average guitar player to buy. After they hang around about a year, they can really can be marked down to a good deal. There's a nice Gibson Jazz Box at one store that fits me like a glove, even at half price it's still expensive. I did get this today for half what they currently have it marked for. And it has the nice translucent gloss finish and a one piece body.

Attachments

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
Anybody that pays full retail for any guitar is throwing away money. Never ever complete an order through a website when you can call to speak to somebody to complete the sale. Find the guitar you want on your internet dealer of choice, then call them instead of using online checkout. In nearly all cases both online and in-store, guitars and musical instruments in general have a 30%-40% markup. There is a heck of a lot of room for negotiation there, and if the place you’re dealing with does not want to negotiate, find another dealer.

I speak from experience when I say that I’ve always saved hundreds on Gibson guitars simply by asking for a better price. From store-to-store and website-to-website, retail prices for music gear is nearly all the same. That pedal on Musician’s Friend will very likely have the very same retail price as it does at Sweetwater, and so on. That’s a good thing for you, because you will task them with beating the price of other retail outlets. And they’ll do it. In many cases, simply asking for a better price on a Gibson or other expensive guitar could save you $100 or even much more.

For example: Les Paul Custom Lite purchased from Sweetwater as as soon as they became available; brand new, $1299, including shipping - $200 savings.
For every single Gibson I purchased new I saved at least $100, but in most cases it was more.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
You know the guitar he liked and what felt best to him playing. Just order it from Sweetwater where you can even pick which one you like best looks wise out of 4 posted usually. You have time to check it out and send it back if there are issues with it. I have had great luck doing this, granted a couple issues here and there, but in the end I have had terrific guitars.

I have usually gotten 300-500 off my guitar purchases from GC and Sweetwater when purchased. Of course I have not looked over my guitars with a fine tooth comb like some do after they receive there guitars, but I do give them a one over and they have been fantastic.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Update: just got home from a 6.5 hour trip to sweetwater. What a huge bummer. Guess I should have called ahead of time, all they had was a demo, and it was scratched and only marked down 250. My fault for not calling ahead. Sales guy was extremely unimpressive. Store was neat, but we didn't stay after finding out they didn't have any new guitars. Said they wouldn't get any more until January.

Not the end of the world, just out some gas money. Stopped at the GC right down the road from sweetwater, they didn't have ANY les Paul standards, only epiphones and studio LPs. Looks like I'm going to have to order one online and roll the dice. Now to find a vendor willing to cut a deal. The saga continues.
That’s interesting. I just left Sweetwater’s website and they have three new tobacco burst ‘50’s in stock right now.

freak

Reaction score
It is indeed a Traditional, but that was the price, because I walked away from it at first .
Interesting. My Traditional was priced at $2499. When I mentioned that was the price for a new Standard, and showed them on my phone, they said they would match that price. I think $2199? Anyway, got it for $1800, as the guy behind the counter was motivated.

Mitch Pearrow 58

Reaction score
Interesting. My Traditional was priced at $2499. When I mentioned that was the price for a new Standard, and showed them on my phone, they said they would match that price. I think $2199? Anyway, got it for $1800, as the guy behind the counter was motivated.
That was pretty much the same in my case, but you my brother got the better deal, I was happy with the 1.999.00 I paid for mine, it was still better than 2.199.00 I paid for the heritage Cherry burst I purchased a year before.
Cheers

freak

Reaction score
That was pretty much the same in my case, but you my brother got the better deal, I was happy with the 1.999.00 I paid for mine, it was still better than 2.199.00 I paid for the heritage Cherry burst I purchased a year before.
Cheers
I'm wondering if this isn't some sort of 'ploy' by Sam Ash.

Mitch Pearrow 58

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this isn't some sort of 'ploy' by Sam Ash.
It could very well be, I have purchased 5 new Gibsons from Sam Ash in the last 3 years, but the best deal I got was on the 2019 Traditional.
I will probably purchase another instrument from them but not for at least 2 more years lol

Rjames

Reaction score
Update: Hate to bash sweetwater, but they really did suck. Only had 1 guitar(that's what the salesman said) and it was a dented display only marked down 250 for the dent. Also said they wouldn't be getting any more until mid January. No thanks. When we were walking out, a different sales guy talked to us for a minute who was actually very nice.

Again, I should have called first, my fault, but the vibe there was pretty much identical to guitar center.

This is where the story gets much better. Yesterday morning, I got ahold of David A. from Chicago Music Exchange. They had a display, and a brand new guitar. He gave me a great quote that I won't mention out of respect for him. My son and I jumped in the car and made the 3.5 hour drive to Chicago. The place was amazing, they treated my son like a rock star. Put him in a sound proof room full of high end tube amps and said have fun. Of course he loved the guitar, it is flawless. Was a fantastic experience. David's associate, Geoff, helped us out at the store. If you can believe it, David made this deal on his day off!! How cool was that? Definitely has a future customer.. Highly recommend @David A @ CME . Next time I'm in Chicago, I'm dropping by for sure. Coolest music store I've seen, by far. Thanks David and Geoff. My son is already putting together a song for the upcoming talent show.

If anyone is looking for a great instrument buying experience, David's your guy.

Mitch Pearrow 58

Reaction score
Update: Hate to bash sweetwater, but they really did suck. Only had 1 guitar(that's what the salesman said) and it was a dented display only marked down 250 for the dent. Also said they wouldn't be getting any more until mid January. No thanks. When we were walking out, a different sales guy talked to us for a minute who was actually very nice.

Again, I should have called first, my fault, but the vibe there was pretty much identical to guitar center.

This is where the story gets much better. Yesterday morning, I got ahold of David A. from Chicago Music Exchange. They had a display, and a brand new guitar. He gave me a great quote that I won't mention out of respect for him. My son and I jumped in the car and made the 3.5 hour drive to Chicago. The place was amazing, they treated my son like a rock star. Put him in a sound proof room full of high end tube amps and said have fun. Of course he loved the guitar, it is flawless. Was a fantastic experience. David's associate, Geoff, helped us out at the store. If you can believe it, David made this deal on his day off!! How cool was that? Definitely has a future customer.. Highly recommend @David A @ CME . Next time I'm in Chicago, I'm dropping by for sure. Coolest music store I've seen, by far. Thanks David and Geoff. My son is already putting together a song for the upcoming talent show.

If anyone is looking for a great instrument buying experience, David's your guy.
Congratulations on getting what you set out to get. Keep us posted on your son’s progress !!! HNGD
Cheers Mitch

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Of course you had a better experience. First you called. Then spoke to the right person at a great store who had the guitar your son wanted at a great price. congrats!

JMP

Reaction score
Congrats on finding the right guitar. Post some pics when you can. I love it when persistence pays off.

Rjames

Reaction score
Of course you had a better experience. First you called. Then spoke to the right person at a great store who had the guitar your son wanted at a great price. congrats!
5 days ago, I did call sweetwater. Sales guy told me they had 4 plus the display.
Hard to believe they sold 4 identical guitars in 5 days, plus their online inventory showed they had at least 2 in stock. Thats why I didn't call first. Plus side is it only cost me a few hours and some gas money.

anorton

Reaction score
You’re a good dad! He’s got an experience he’ll never forget. Congratulations and good for you for sticking to your guns and getting the guitar you wanted for the price you were willing to pay. Please post some pictures!