Best Way to Purchase New Les Paul

pillbug

Reaction score
Ask for the assistant manager and tell him you’ll sign up for their Gear Card and finance it if he gives you 15% off. If he says no then settle for 10%.?

Rjames

Reaction score
Update: called sweetwater yesterday and talked to a salesman. Said the best he would do on the guitar was $2421 plus tax. It's a 3 plus hour drive one way for us. Not exactly a smoking deal. I told him that, and he said he could do a "little less", just drive down, blah blah blah. He sounded like a typical used car salesman, which I can't stand.
So, went back to guitar center, with a pocketful of cash, to try to deal on the guitar. After sitting there for 10 minutes with all the sales douches playing grab ass with each other, finally I went to the counter and asked about the guitar. 2 weeks ago, the salesman said they had a new one in the back that hadn't been unboxed. This guy said they only had the one on the wall. He got it down, told me it'd only been on the wall a couple days. I said, well my son played it here 2 weeks ago, I checked the serial number. He gave me the typical "oops" look and said he'd polish it up, put new strings on it because it needed them, blah blah. Why does a brand new guitar need new strings? I could see visible scratches on it, some rash on the back, etc. Needless to say, we left and now I'm right back to square 1. What a huge bummer. Not sure where to go from here, but I'd sure like to know: are there any honest Gibson dealers who will give me a good deal?
Seems like might have to go to Tennessee, right to the source.

Rjames

Reaction score
Here you go brand new 15% off $2,125 and free shipping. 48 hour review period can be returned within 7 days. https://reverb.com/item/26949348-gibson-lps500tonh1-les-paul-standard-50-s-tobacco-burst-2019

Thanks, but that one is out of reach. I have cash. There's no way I could go to the credit union tomorrow, I go to work at 5 in the morning and don't get out until after 5.
Deal ends tomorrow. Plus I had a horrible experience buying his last guitar online, not really keen on it.

But again, thanks for the link. Very cool of you. Awesome, in fact.

coolidge

Reaction score
Thanks, but that one is out of reach. I have cash. There's no way I could go to the credit union tomorrow, I go to work at 5 in the morning and don't get out until after 5.
Deal ends tomorrow. Plus I had a horrible experience buying his last guitar online, not really keen on it.

But again, thanks for the link. Very cool of you. Awesome, in fact.
Sure I understand. Recommend you work on your 'poker face' then. Instead of asking the retailer what they can do throw a cash offer on the table and let them break out in a flop sweat.

This is a poker face

Ripgut

Reaction score
Update: called sweetwater yesterday and talked to a salesman. Said the best he would do on the guitar was $2421 plus tax. It's a 3 plus hour drive one way for us. Not exactly a smoking deal. I told him that, and he said he could do a "little less", just drive down, blah blah blah. He sounded like a typical used car salesman, which I can't stand.
So, went back to guitar center, with a pocketful of cash, to try to deal on the guitar. After sitting there for 10 minutes with all the sales douches playing grab ass with each other, finally I went to the counter and asked about the guitar. 2 weeks ago, the salesman said they had a new one in the back that hadn't been unboxed. This guy said they only had the one on the wall. He got it down, told me it'd only been on the wall a couple days. I said, well my son played it here 2 weeks ago, I checked the serial number. He gave me the typical "oops" look and said he'd polish it up, put new strings on it because it needed them, blah blah. Why does a brand new guitar need new strings? I could see visible scratches on it, some rash on the back, etc. Needless to say, we left and now I'm right back to square 1. What a huge bummer. Not sure where to go from here, but I'd sure like to know: are there any honest Gibson dealers who will give me a good deal?
Seems like might have to go to Tennessee, right to the source.
Sorry for your experience, but I believe you're doing the best thing you can do right now which is being patient. The right deal will come to you soon, just stay persistent, don't let them win. And remember, haggle, haggle and haggle like crazy!

Frethead

Reaction score
I know they're crapped on a lot like GC, but I got my new Standard from Sam Ash and had a pretty good experience. I started off just by emailing them and a sales rep replied with a $2299 price right off the bat. I didn't try and go lower because I ended up doing the 48 month financing deal, but who knows. Also, if you're lucky like me, you might live in a state where they don't collect tax from. That's another few hundred right there.

I know you're weary from internet buying, but Sam Ash has a return policy identical to GC, so they'll return or exchange it no problem if you don't like it. You can also pick out the individual guitar you like the most from photos. I don't mean this to sound like a Sam Ash ad lol, just want to say that I had a good experience with em.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
GC used section is awesome. Find a few online and have them delivered to the store. You are not obligated to take any of them. Go try 'em out and see if you find one you like. If not....do it all over again. New Gibsons are ridiculously priced. You can do way better used.

KS 5150

Reaction score
If you fly me down from Canada, I'll bargain the hell out of a deal for you :thumb: Then again, I'm not sure if you'd save any money that way lol. Just walk up to the sales guy at GC & do this:

cmon-do-it.jpg

I've also bought 2 used Gibson Historics & a Custom off of this Classifieds page, & they've all been incredible.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have purchased most of my Guitars Online from Sweetwater and GC, I have had a couple of issues here and there, but it all worked out well in the end with additional discounts when there have been issues. With the Black Friday deals coming up, just wait and get what your son likes best.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
If I'm going to invest a couple thousand dollars into a guitar, any guitar, I'm going to want some personal time with that particular instrument. And fortunately, I've always had the chance to do just that.
Try to find something local that can give you an actual idea of what you are getting into.
And, good luck with your search !!!

Frethead

Reaction score
If I'm going to invest a couple thousand dollars into a guitar, any guitar, I'm going to want some personal time with that particular instrument. And fortunately, I've always had the chance to do just that.
Try to find something local that can give you an actual idea of what you are getting into.
And, good luck with your search !!!
Unfortunately, not everyone lives in an area where this is always possible. Where I'm at, there's a Guitar Center and two local shops. One of the local shops doesn't even carry Gibsons, the other has maybe a couple Studios, and the Guitar Center here has exactly one of the new Les Paul Standards, a 60s in Bourbon Burst, a floor model that's been there since they first came out.

And good luck finding a used Les Paul around here that isn't a Studio lol. Even if you do, the price won't reflect the now lower pricing on new Standards.

Internet buying is essential for some areas. And most online places have very good/easy return policies. Yea, you might have to pay return shipping if you just "don't like it", but that's probably few and far between unless you're just super picky. If I can't jive with a guitar, it's usually because there's something actually wrong with it, which will warrant a free return.

Just my experience..

Last edited:

Rjames

Reaction score
All the suggestions are great. Really appreciated. Really wanting to get him a brand new 50s tobacco burst standard.
That reverb one was a great deal, just couldn't make it happen.

I'll certainly update when I finally get one.

integra evan

Reaction score
All the suggestions are great. Really appreciated. Really wanting to get him a brand new 50s tobacco burst standard.
That reverb one was a great deal, just couldn't make it happen.

I'll certainly update when I finally get one.
Have you tried looking online at Chicago Music Exchange? I dealt directly with @David A @ CME for 3 guitars that I got awesome deals on - one was brand new (flawless), one was a floor model LP (still flawless) and another a used one (yet still flawless). Good people there, free shipping, I'm sure they could work out a deal with you.

mfranzdorf

Reaction score
I've always been able to get a deal at Sweetwater. I call and talk to Greg, he's always treated me really good!! Being online he wouldn't be able to play it before purchasing but he can pick one with the top and weight that he likes.
I can second this.

BornToLooze

Reaction score
Just buy the guitar he wants, the right one. Not worth it to save a few bucks. Every Les Paul sounds and plays a bit different.

Guitar Center has 48 month financing, so $52 a month.
This is what happened because my dad bought me the right one when I was in high school.

I've wound up selling damn near every guitar I've had since then because they don't measure up.

David A @ CME

Reaction score
Have you tried looking online at Chicago Music Exchange? I dealt directly with @David A @ CME for 3 guitars that I got awesome deals on - one was brand new (flawless), one was a floor model LP (still flawless) and another a used one (yet still flawless). Good people there, free shipping, I'm sure they could work out a deal with you.
Thank you for the nice words! I love these guitars and am always happy to help! Davida@chicagomusicexchange.com