Best Way to Purchase New Les Paul

Rjames

Reaction score
Guitar Center will deal...but with 48 months that is their deal. Or next month it may be 10% off. OR 15% . Or you can always trade in something and get the 10% of NEW price. I wanted to trade in an Epiphone and get $250 off a use PRS - they told me no go.

Just try again. Or just pay the $52 a month :)
Im in a good spot now where the stars aligned and I can almost pay cash. Tough to pay tag price on a $2500 tag. GC is closest Gibson dealer and they're 50 miles 1 way. Maybe I gotta try a different salesman. He let us walk right out without even an offer, except the financing which I don't want or need right now. I hate haggling, just give me a decent deal and I'll usually buy. He didn't offer anything off so we left.

Ripgut

Reaction score
I went into Sam Ashe about a month ago with a friend and he got his down to $2200 out the door, it was a Standard '60s Iced Tea, retail $2499. You just got to haggle with them, no matter what store it is, haggle, haggle, haggle! My friend said "Let's talk turkey, 22 out the door!", and the salesman was with it!

Years ago, I bought a $1299 guitar that was on sale for $899 for $850 out the door at Guitar Center, lol, you just gotta haggle with them! Good luck man!

Deathray

Reaction score
Im in a good spot now where the stars aligned and I can almost pay cash. Tough to pay tag price on a $2500 tag. GC is closest Gibson dealer and they're 50 miles 1 way. Maybe I gotta try a different salesman. He let us walk right out without even an offer, except the financing which I don't want or need right now. I hate haggling, just give me a decent deal and I'll usually buy. He didn't offer anything off so we left.
I just bought a LP standard 50s from wildwood guitars. After calling GC, MF, and Zzounds, and getting a best offer of $200 off, I was less than impressed with the big box players.(Sweetwater had zero tobacco sunburst in stock)
I called wildwood, expecting to pay the same, or more, but at least get the included setup. (At least a set of eyes on it after the warehouse) I was pleasantly surprised. I simply asked if he could save me any money, and he was considerably better. And I got a really good vibe from them, as well. It will be here Thursday! They have pics online, like Sweetwater, of the exact guitar. They’ll put your strings of choice on it during the set up.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Go in and explain to them that NOBODY charges full retail without giving some kind of break. Don't capitulate just because they're the only guitar store in the area. If they won't deal with you then don't deal with them. They're just being dicks with that kind of rigidity.

Buying online is a good option if you do your homework. Much better selection to choose from and usually better deals if you call them and ask. You can have him do the homework and pick one out since it's his guitar. He should be more than eager to do a little window shopping and research.

I personally don't like being confined to the limited choices my local stores offer, especially big box stores where everything they have has seen a thousand hands and not all of them careful. I really like the idea of being able to shop nationwide and there are some really good dealers out there who will take far better care of you than Guitar Denter, and at a better price :)

PauloQS

Reaction score
Aren’t GC having a Guitar-A-Thon? The one close to me has two LP Standard 50s (a heritage cherry and a tobacco burst) at a good discounted price.

If you go the used market route, check out the LP Traditional, which were models that were very close to what today’s standard 50s. Also the LP Classic have always been quite good, albeit a bit different from the standard 50s.

I think one big thing about the Standard 50s and previous years Traditionals is the neck profile is not found in many other LP models within the Gibson USA range. In the last couple of years, the majority of the models have thin neck profiles, slim tapered necks.The standard 50s and previous years Traditional diverge from that trend with a more in between neck profile, not very thin, but not very thick either.

Rjames

Reaction score
Go in and explain to them that NOBODY charges full retail without giving some kind of break. Don't capitulate just because they're the only guitar store in the area. If they won't deal with you then don't deal with them. They're just being dicks with that kind of rigidity.

Buying online is a good option if you do your homework. Much better selection to choose from and usually better deals if you call them and ask. You can have him do the homework and pick one out since it's his guitar. He should be more than eager to do a little window shopping and research.

I personally don't like being confined to the limited choices my local stores offer, especially big box stores where everything they have has seen a thousand hands and not all of them careful. I really like the idea of being able to shop nationwide and there are some really good dealers out there who will take far better care of you than Guitar Denter, and at a better price :)
I wouldn't have taken the one off the rack. I asked if they had another and he said they had one more in the storeroom. I would've bought that one after giving it a good look and letting my son play it, as long as he liked it.

What would be the best option store wise? I can see if there's one not too far. I'm in west Michigan.

Justin_Case

Reaction score
Every few days Guitar Center runs a 15% off coupon, or will match another retialer's coupon. Although the coupon say's Gibsons are excluded - at the store they will honor it.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yes here also about calling Sweetwater and seeing what they can do for you, plus you can go online and pick the exact serial numberered guitar you want. Picking up the one you like best from four different same type guitars is a great thing. But… It could be the exact same guitar that your Son looked at and played at Guitar Center but may not play exactly the same. Also… It could play exactly the same since the 2019’s are supposed to be more consistent.

good luck and keep us posted.

dro

Reaction score
I know the OP says( NEW ) Les Paul, but... If GC is your only option, look on the used wall. You can find guitars that are near new, and they have more room to discount. Remember they buy these things at half the tag price or less.

freak

Reaction score
I wouldn't have taken the one off the rack. I asked if they had another and he said they had one more in the storeroom. I would've bought that one after giving it a good look and letting my son play it, as long as he liked it.

What would be the best option store wise? I can see if there's one not too far. I'm in west Michigan.

You probably aren't TOO far from Sweetwater. Make the trip, take the son, make a day/night out of it.....Meet some salesmen for future purchases (and there will be future purchases).
Road trip!

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Try and talk to the manager and tell him your plight. If they want to make a sale and keep you a future customer they'll budge. Good luck either way!

Huber Breeze is in Michigan and they also have a good online presence and reputation. Are you insistent on buying in person? It's fine if you are, but it's going to limit your selection. The online service of the better non franchised shops is phenomenal and much better than you're likely to get in person at any big box store... your case in point :)

Good luck whatever you decide :)

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what are his feelings on the matter?

Rjames

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what are his feelings on the matter?
He's happy as hell to be getting a new "real" Gibson. He played a traditional, classic, studio, and the standard 50s and 60s and kept going back to the 50s. He liked it best over all, plus the sound. He's into green day and the salesman hooked up a "dookie" pedal for him and he really liked that.

I'd really like him to play the one we buy before buying, as they all don't sound alike. Plus I want to look it over for flaws. Pictures aren't the same, in my opinion.

Prometheus

Reaction score
He's happy as hell to be getting a new "real" Gibson. He played a traditional, classic, studio, and the standard 50s and 60s and kept going back to the 50s. He liked it best over all, plus the sound. He's into green day and the salesman hooked up a "dookie" pedal for him and he really liked that.

I'd really like him to play the one we buy before buying, as they all don't sound alike. Plus I want to look it over for flaws. Pictures aren't the same, in my opinion.
Wait wait wait, if your son is into Green Day, shouldn't you go for SC or DC Juniors?

smk506

Reaction score
Just go back and brush that salesman off completely if he’s there and find someone else to ask. It’s not that they can’t or won’t deal, HE just thinks he can hardball you into full retail (which equals full commission on his end) since your a dad buying his kid a gift and ‘won’t know any better’.

Worse case, get a few email quotes from Sam ash or sweat water and tell them you want a price match.

Rjames

Reaction score
Just go back and brush that salesman off completely if he’s there and find someone else to ask. It’s not that they can’t or won’t deal, HE just thinks he can hardball you into full retail (which equals full commission on his end) since your a dad buying his kid a gift and ‘won’t know any better’.

Worse case, get a few email quotes from Sam ash or sweat water and tell them you want a price match.
Right on. Thanks. Might give GC another try but may hafta do road trip to sweetwater or find a small shop.

There's a really good dude close by that has an awesome shop, but he only sells and fixes used stuff. Top notch tech though. I buy whatever I can from him, strings, cords, etc. He's taught me a ton about tuning and set up. Hopefully when my boy goes big time he'll hire me as his guitar guy lol.

Last edited:

Frozen Rat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Right on. Thanks. Might give GC another try but may hafta do road trip to sweetwater or find a small shop.
GC is spewing out 16% coupons right now, good until something like Nov. 15th. Go back and talk to someone else and tell them you got a coupon but left it at home. They'll go chat with the manager and should come back with a barcode to save you that 15 or 16% off. Has worked for me every single time. I just bought a Helix and didn't even have to haggle. I told the guy I'd buy it at 15% off right up front, and after speaking with his manager he came up with some kind of guitar-a-thon barcode he used to take $240 off the thing. I don't know if a LP Standard can be had from them for quite that much off. Mainly I've been hearing somewhere around $200 off is where they draw the line, but maybe they'll do more, who knows. Still, pretty darn good deal if you ask me at $2299. They used to be 3k and up.