Best way to purchase new les Paul

Rjames

Reaction score
Thought I'd join the forum and ask some pros for advice.
Bought my (then) 12 yr old his first electric after he started showing interest. It was a Yamaha Pacifica. Nice beginner electric, he's treated it pretty well.
Fast forward 4 years, many lessons and performances later, and it's time to buy him a real guitar. The Yamaha is fine, but he really deserves a nice electric to keep him going.
Bought him an epiphone dr500mce last Christmas, and he loves it. It's been a great gigging acoustic, so naturally wanted to stick with Gibson.
Took him to guitar center last weekend to play some les Paul's, told him to find the one he likes the best. Of course, he picked the new Gibson les Paul 50s T in tobacco burst.
I have to say that it sounded and looked better than both studios he tried, and he said it just felt "right". Asked the salesman about getting a deal, but he wouldn't budge off the $2499 tag price. Talked about low interest financing, blah blah blah. I had a wad of cash in my pocket, but not quite that much, so we left with no guitar.
So after all that, my question is: can you get a deal on a new les Paul, or are you stuck paying "the" price? I've looked online and they're all the same, $2499.
Thanks for any suggestions/ tips.
This is a big purchase for me, and I'm not used to paying retail for stuff.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Welcome and kudos for being a cool dad! You could wait until the new line comes out, that may drop prices a bit. An Epiphone Les Paul is also an option.

mfoster

Reaction score
The Members Classified forum is a great place to find a great guitar. I have never heard of anyone getting ripped off here. I've bought 3 from here.

I highly recommend this :

I have bought from Guitaraddict, as have many others here. And if you son liked the 50s, he'll probably find this guitar just as nice.
A great seller, and a great deal. Check it out.

Last edited:

JAMESAK51

Reaction score
I've always been able to get a deal at Sweetwater. I call and talk to Greg, he's always treated me really good!! Being online he wouldn't be able to play it before purchasing but he can pick one with the top and weight that he likes.

Rjames

Reaction score
The Members Classified forum is a great place to find a great guitar. I have never heard of anyone getting ripped off here. I've bought 3 from here.

I highly recommend this :

I have bought from Guitaraddict, as have many others here. And if you son liked the 50s, he'll probably find this guitar just as nice.
A great seller, and a great deal. Check it out.
Thanks, but I've learned the hard way about buying guitars sight unseen and unplayed.
Been there done that. Being his first real Gibson, and a les Paul, I want him to be the only owner.

Rjames

Reaction score
I've always been able to get a deal at Sweetwater. I call and talk to Greg, he's always treated me really good!! Being online he wouldn't be able to play it before purchasing but he can pick one with the top and weight that he likes.
I have a cousin that works for sweetwater, but we're not close. Kinda feel like a douche asking for a favor. But I might have to bite the bullet and ask lol.

JAMESAK51

Reaction score
You could always talk to another sales person and see what kind of deal you can get. I always look at it this way, they need to sell equipment. You have options where to buy from, if you can't get a good deal at one place, move on and shop around!! It never hurts to tell them that you're shopping around either.

edselman

Reaction score
Also, Sweetwater always has 0% interest financing. (I don’t work for them)

Rjames

Reaction score
Have any local smaller music stores that are Gibson dealers? They are more likely to strike a deal.
Nope. Hour drive to nearest Gibson dealer, but there's one or two more relatively close to that one. Only 2 local music shops, one sells used stuff/ low low end Chinese guitars, and the other is Yamaha only.

ns2a

Reaction score
Just buy the guitar he wants, the right one. Not worth it to save a few bucks. Every Les Paul sounds and plays a bit different.

Guitar Center has 48 month financing, so $52 a month.

Rjames

Reaction score
Just buy the guitar he wants, the right one. Not worth it to save a few bucks. Every Les Paul sounds and plays a bit different.

Guitar Center has 48 month financing, so $52 a month.
Thats exactly what im going to do. Never thought about used or different model. Just wondered if they're negotiable. Salesman didn't want to budge off tag price, so we left and thought I'd do some more research. No huge rush here. I sure wouldn't have bought the one on display, to me that's not a "new" guitar.

anorton

Reaction score
Another vote for Sweetwater. I bought a brand new Traditional with the no money down 0% interest 48 month finance plan. For me, it was a no brainer. It’s not for everyone, but it was exactly what I needed to get a brand new guitar in my hands. My sales guy, Daniel, threw in some Schaller strap locks, a 4 inch wide leather strap, and some strings.

freak

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
You should be able to get 10% just by walking into the store. EASY.
You can also trade in something. damn near ANYTHING and get 10% off, plus the price of what you are trading.

I do a lot of business with guitar center...those guys want to deal. Find someone that will.
Black Friday sales are coming also. Not sure where you are at, but can you try another GC?

Fuggle

Reaction score
Asked the salesman about getting a deal, but he wouldn't budge off the $2499 tag price.
That's odd. I've always gotten 10-15% off at GC just for asking. I recently bought a new Baja Tele, and the sales guy said that without a coupon the best he could do was 15% ( I had asked for 20% off). Yeah, talk to another salesman!

lpfan1980

Reaction score
IF you have a local guitar store you enjoy go there/ or while ive never bought anything with Sweetwater they have been highly recommeneded and they give you candy how sweet! I might buy my next guitarmobile from them.GOOD LUCK.
[/QUOTE

ns2a

Reaction score
Guitar Center will deal...but with 48 months that is their deal. Or next month it may be 10% off. OR 15% . Or you can always trade in something and get the 10% of NEW price. I wanted to trade in an Epiphone and get $250 off a use PRS - they told me no go.

Just try again. Or just pay the $52 a month :)