Best way to level paint runs

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
I'm admittedly a novice. 2 builds under my belt all with transparent finishes under nitro. I'm painting this time. The grain filling and leveling is done and I have begun paint. I'm using acrylic lacquer paint and have a run. I'm guessing a simple wet sand, but if anyone has any trucks,. I'm open to suggestions.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I like to place tape on the finish around the run (THIN tape!) and sand down the run until it's level with the tape, because that way you don't sand the finish around the run unnecessarily while sanding down the run.

Only when I'm making sandpaper contact with the tape and the run is down to the tape's level do I remove the tape and finish the sanding.

If your finish is hard enough, you can use a razor blade as a scraper to take the run down, too.

tabascom16

Reaction score
Razor blade scraping works well to get the bulk of it off. It is too easy when sanding to dig into the flat surfaces around the run.

Reactions: Who

cmjohnson

Reaction score
That's exactly why I say to tape off the finish around the run. Sand the RUN, not the finish that doesn't need sanding, until the run is cut down low enough that you have to sand the area to finish blending it.

Latest Threads