Best Wah Pedal?

BluesLover

Reaction score
I find myself in the market for a wah pedal nowadays... what do you guys like the best? So far I have been looking at:

Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah Pedal and more Guitar Effects at GuitarCenter.com.

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal and more Guitar Effects at GuitarCenter.com.

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Multi-Wah Pedal and more Guitar Effects at GuitarCenter.com.

Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal and more Guitar Effects at GuitarCenter.com.

I don't want to spend more than $150 on the pedal that I choose, but I still want to know what you guys think about pedals above that price-range. I have been scanning my local online classifieds...

mitchbob9

Reaction score
I like the 535q. It has q control and a volume boost. The Slash one has disortion, but it is expensive and I like the 535q better anyway. If your short on cash try the original. Also check out the Vox Wah, it's equally good as them, it's a matter of preferance. I've been researching wahs, and I'm buying the Crybaby 535q.

BluesLover

Reaction score
I might not want a wah with distortion, cause it might muddy my tone up if I start stacking overdrives/distortions. Can the Slash wah clear your tone up a bit?

MJG

Reaction score
I have a JD 535Q and have used it for about a year with no problems.

Somethings went wrong in the last couple of weeks though. There is hardly any wah effect when the pedal is in the bass/heel position and when in the treble/toe position the sound has become VERY thin and fizzy and just nasty (the wah intensity is there though in that position - it just sounds rubbish).

Has anyone else had this problem and know a good fix/if it's worth getting fixed?

Today I tried a Fulltone Clyde wah. That was pretty cool - good range and tone.

Also I tried a Roger Mayer Vision wah. That was very expensive and I assumed they were quite high-end. The pedal looked really flimsy on it though and it was quite complicated to use. Also very little range from bass to treble. The guy in the shop that was helping me out really didnt like it at all :laugh2: Had some ok sounds coming out it in the end though. It struck me as a kind of love/hate kind of pedal...

Overall though I think the fully operational 535Q is the best Wah pedal I have played (better than the morleys and boss' and vox's I have played - Ive never tried some of the other regarded wahs like RMCs or Budda's though)

The shop I was in had a Deluxe Clyde too but I didnt try it - looked promising though.

JackClark82

Reaction score
I went through the wah search a year or two ago. Used to have a crybaby gcb-95(original). Got used to it, knew how to get the sounds I wanted. Then decided to upgrade. Got the dunlop 535Q. Never could quite get the sound I used to, although there was tons I could experiment with. Then I bought a Fulltone CLyde. Got some searing tones, but to my ears was a little too edgy in fact.

Today a just bought a Crybaby GCB-95 original for 50$. I"ll be putting it into my tru bypass effects loop to avoid tone suck, but to my ears the original crybaby just had what I wanted.

I'd suggest to anyone buying any wahs(or any effect) not to get too hyped on tons of extra options etc... Let your ears decide, not your logic... Good luck

MJG

Reaction score
I'd suggest to anyone buying any wahs(or any effect) not to get too hyped on tons of extra options etc... Let your ears decide, not your logic... Good luck

I agree with that. I mean I know I've sung the praises of the 535Q which has a variable range control + 2 knobs to adjust the tone and an optional boost. But I'd definitely draw the line there. Anything more and I wouldnt be interested. I tend to dial in a sound I like and keep it for a long time with this pedal.

leftylover

Reaction score
I might not want a wah with distortion, cause it might muddy my tone up if I start stacking overdrives/distortions. Can the Slash wah clear your tone up a bit?

i believe the dunlop slash wah has a distortion you can turn off. I've played the slash one(red)(i didnt know it had distortion when i played it) and the camo Zakk Wylde one. I preferred the smoothness of the Zakk Wylde one more. There is also the chrome one which looks frickin awesome. haha.

leftylover

Reaction score
Also just remembered... VOX has some really nice wah's.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would NOT go with the V-Wha...I have one and it is really fun but it is not really that toneful, and I tend to use my other wha pedals over that one....the one thing that is a problem, is that the V-Wha hits the amp way hard when you add the different OD/distortions...the OD/dist are pretty cool but are modeled type of thing..so???? The thing that I think I would use it for was if I was doing live looping type things...that way you can set up some interesting flexiablity...the wha pedals I use are fultone, or an old morely....IMHO, I have not been too impressed with some of dunlop's offerings lately but, I have not played a lot the different choices.

jumpinjackf1ash

Reaction score
Ibanez weeping demons are great...lots of control...good bypass as well....and I currently have one for sale ;]

geomcnasty

Reaction score
I gotta agree with Led Zep Fan. The Area 51 is un freakin believeable. I bought a used Crybaby off eBay for 25.00 and totally ripped it apart. I sent it out and had it powder coated in gold. Then I bought a new kit from Area 51. I replaced everything inside with the Area 51 replacement parts which includes true by pass switching, added a Led to show when its on, added a DC jack, new Icar pot designed by Area 51, new Area 51 board with their special inductor and new bumpers. Wow its awesome. Quiet, the sweep is fully functional with out any dead spots and smooth and organic it just amazing.

G

Jody

Reaction score
I feel in love with the sweep of this beast...............
0wylde.jpg

If your a fan of his ,or not ..This pedel needs to be mentioned........

Mayo5

Reaction score
The Area 51 is unbeatable for under $150.

I have a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah with a FoxxRoxx Buffer kit, and it's perfection. The clyde deluxe has a little bit of a higher learning curve is you are used to the sweep of the normal cry-baby's. It absolutely nails the perfect hendrix wah, and a 70's funk.

The Teese Picture wah is also a great wah.

A small company called Wilson Effects makes an awesome pedal too.

My all time favorite is the Ibanez WH-10 wah, but unforunately they usually go for $350+ on ebay if you can find them.

Jackson50

Reaction score
My all time favorite is the Ibanez WH-10 wah, but unforunately they usually go for $350+ on ebay if you can find them.

I have one, its the fist pedal I bought back in 92 or 93, hated the thing, I recently found it in a box of old stuff.

Mayo5

Reaction score

Nice man! You could make some good money from that!

The grey version is slightly sought after more, but that one will still pull some nice change for you on ebay.

Here's a clip of the grey version in action

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4mWsAllmtw&feature=related]YouTube - WH10 Ibanez (http://www.petitiononline.com/wh10/petition.html)[/ame]

Latest Threads